Nearest McD that sells lobster rolls?

fstuff1

On June 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM, njhorseman said:

Yes, it was Ned Devine's. 

Ned Devine's has also been voted several times as the best chowder in Boston. Of course, chowder is even more subjective than lobster rolls. I have had Ned's chowder, not sure it is my favorite but it's very good. 

To the OP -----, please follow the advice of everyone here and look for a real lobster roll in one of your ports. Everyone has a favorite place, but you should be able to get a good, fresh one almost anywhere you go (or else the restaurant wouldn't be in business too long.) Fresh lobster is so far above the frozen product, they're not even in the same conversation. Well worth the additional cost vs. McDonalds, especially in the context of what you're spending for your cruise.

• Like 1

We'll be on our first NE/Canada cruise in September, which we've dubbed "the Lobster Roll Cruise."  I've been taking notes of people's recommended lunch places in our New England ports, and our plan is to have lobster rolls in the various ports.  :classic_smile:

(Still on the fence about having a lobster roll in Halifax, as the fish tacos we had there last summer at the Five Fishermen were incredible.   And I might decide to try donair in any event.)

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We'll be on our first NE/Canada cruise in September, which we've dubbed "the Lobster Roll Cruise."  I've been taking notes of people's recommended lunch places in our New England ports, and our plan is to have lobster rolls in the various ports.  :classic_smile:

(Still on the fence about having a lobster roll in Halifax, as the fish tacos we had there last summer at the Five Fishermen were incredible.   And I might decide to try donair in any event.)

Another option is High Roller Lobster in Portland.  Used to be a food truck, but is now a brick and mortar on Exchange St.  They have lobster tacos, lobster grilled cheese sandwich, "lobby pop" (a tail on a stick), or a fried lobby pop (like a corn dog, but with a whole tail), and a "surf and turf" brisket burger with lobster topping.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Another option is High Roller Lobster in Portland.  Used to be a food truck, but is now a brick and mortar on Exchange St.  They have lobster tacos, lobster grilled cheese sandwich, "lobby pop" (a tail on a stick), or a fried lobby pop (like a corn dog, but with a whole tail), and a "surf and turf" brisket burger with lobster topping.

Thanks Chief, that sounds pretty amazing.  I just pulled up their menu -- I'd like one of each.  🤣

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Chief, that sounds pretty amazing.  I just pulled up their menu -- I'd like one of each.  🤣

There used to be other places in town that did deep fried lobster, and I sort of feel High Roller's is a little too much on the batter, but the burger and tacos are great.  Selection of local craft beers as well (one of the partners is a craft brewer).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We have a good sized group that is going to be on a quest for Lobster in any form after our trolley tour in Portland. Any suggestions for a good place? 

Size of group and price range?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

(Still on the fence about having a lobster roll in Halifax, as the fish tacos we had there last summer at the Five Fishermen were incredible.   And I

decide to try donair in any event.)

In Saint John, NB, Steamers, right across from dock, has excellent fish and chips, lobster rolls etc. Eat there every time we go.  Also Gilberts on water front in Portland has chowders and seafood incl. lobster roll, West St Cafe in Bar Harbor.  We like Murphys on water front in Halifax for location, have always had delicoius food but it is a bit pricey-- we go for location

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Size of group and price range?

It looks as if there are 18 of us from the Roll Call who are taking the Portland Trolley Lighthouse Tour in the morning and then hope to find a casual,moderately priced place to eat lobster near the pier afterwards.

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

It looks as if there are 18 of us from the Roll Call who are taking the Portland Trolley Lighthouse Tour in the morning and then hope to find a casual,moderately priced place to eat lobster near the pier afterwards.

Portland Lobster, Becky's Diner, or Gilbert's Chowder House will have outdoor seating on the waterfront.  The Porthole comes highly recommended (haven't been myself since the change in owners), and will have outdoor seating on the waterfront as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0902.thumb.JPG.5e549fd7c73c55e2b75fbbf8fc2b7159.JPG

On 5/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, fstuff1 said:

heard that some McDonalds last year in the northeast sold lobster rolls with 6oz lobster meat for $9.

anyone know if these McD are within walking distance of a port?

And which port??

None.... and they are a waste of money.... and 6oz...in your dreams       There are dozens of places... maybe hundreds that make and sell much better lobster .... fresh lobster  not processed garbage.     What port?

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, Turtles06 said:

We have a New England/Canada cruise this fall and will likely be doing the same for lunch.  :classic_smile:   Our ports include Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and Halifax, so if you recall any places you liked, feel free to share, thanks! 

Been to all....and the best was Port Hole  in Portland me.........That includes Bar Harbor and Boston   Bar Harbor is  over the top touristy....   There you want to see Acadia NP... not spend $100 on a couple of Lobster rolls

Was just at Port Hole    and 2-  1.25 lobsters corn and fixins ate $25 !!  and you eat on the pier...   big  seafood menu too.   Some like Beckies  but its too far from where the ship pulls in...IMG_5321.jpg.5ca1eafb8842dd19ef82056444778a43.jpg

On 6/10/2019 at 10:19 AM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

There is nothing by the port pier  its all downtown  about a mile away  

14 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

There is nothing by the port pier  its all downtown  about a mile away  

Boone's, Portland Lobster, Gilbert's and Porthole are all about 1/2 mile from pier (8-10 minute walk), Becky's is just under a mile (20 minute walk).

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, chengkp75 said:

ok, forgetting McD.  will try the fried lobster tail on a stick.

thx!

5 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

ok, forgetting McD.  will try the fried lobster tail on a stick.

thx!

No no no, don't give up. McD has free wifi, great fries, cheap coffee and secret sauce. No need to tip either unlike other places.

22 hours ago, sfaaa said:

No no no, don't give up. McD has free wifi, great fries, cheap coffee and secret sauce. No need to tip either unlike other places.

Even  better....  you don't have to order by any item. if you can not decide.. just tell e'm you want $15 of food.   No matter as it all will be warm, and taste the same regardless of what is is or supposed to be!!!     And as a bonus maybe share the table with some homeless guys who are hanging out !!      Good food and good company !1

Nevermind.. my ship (Celebrity Summit) has free unlimited lobster rolls at the buffet. (Bat Harbor, Maine)

KIMG2239.thumb.jpg.2a4dce920d401a19f09606f6fc77c00e.jpg

but will probably still go get a fried lobster tail on a stick in Portland, Maine tomorrow.

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Nevermind.. my ship (Celebrity Summit) has free unlimited lobster rolls at the buffet. (Bat Harbor, Maine)

KIMG2239.thumb.jpg.2a4dce920d401a19f09606f6fc77c00e.jpg

but will probably still go get a fried lobster tail on a stick in Portland, Maine tomorrow.

If it's got that other stuff in there, it's not a lobster roll, it's a seafood hoagie.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, chengkp75 said:

google found another lobster tail on a stick:

http://susansfishnchips.com/

but it's 11miles from the port. 😞

ok, i'm off to High Roller for lunch for the regular Lolly pop, not the corndog version. reviews says too much breading, like you said.

lobster dog

https://highrollerlobster.com/menu

.7miles from port

hope the regular version is also fried.

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

ok, went to Highroller and had BOTH the lobster lollipop (regular, no fried) and the lobster roll.

KIMG2242.thumb.jpg.ad7d806e5271340ce228dd32824bfd82.jpg

KIMG2244.thumb.jpg.b8647701c176e1808ecd7a66b70ccb6d.jpg

KIMG2243.thumb.jpg.52cd683d701564857366693134cec991.jpg

the bread was toasted PERFECTLY! yum!

How many oz is a lobster tail?

Depends on the size of the lobster.  A 1-1/4 lb bug, your typical size, yields about 4-5 oz of meat.  Looks like you got a good helping of claw and knuckle meat, which IMHO is the best.

• Like 2