High Seas Heist - if your ship has it ... do it!

BuckeyeMark

I'm going to post this because we thoroughly enjoyed the High Seas Heist last week on the CB, but I don't think it's well publicized or explained.   It rec'd a note in the schedule of the Patters in the roll of daily events but I wasn't really sure what it was.  Even when I got there (in the Explorer's Lounge) I wasn't sure it wasn't a jewelry sale!  It is not.  It's a very well executed game of Clue.  The story line is that there has been a crime on the Princess ship and you need to solve it.  You get an evidence packet and some clues to start.  Each day you do a check in and get more clues and some kind of task to complete - like a crossword puzzle - which if you complete you get more clues.  Going along with this there are videos you see each day as part of the Wake Show.  All of this is supervised by the famous Joe Kenda of the TV show "Homicide Hunter."  He gives you daily briefings (by video).  Follow the clues and decide who the culprit or culprits is!

It's a blast to play.  And, if you win (cough, cough, we solved the case and won) you get some nice Princess swag.

So if you're sailing with Princess and you see this in your Patters. .. GIVE IT A TRY!  I'm sure you'll love it!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'm going to post this because we thoroughly enjoyed the High Seas Heist last week on the CB, but I don't think it's well publicized or explained.   It rec'd a note in the schedule of the Patters in the roll of daily events but I wasn't really sure what it was.  Even when I got there (in the Explorer's Lounge) I wasn't sure it wasn't a jewelry sale!  It is not.  It's a very well executed game of Clue.  The story line is that there has been a crime on the Princess ship and you need to solve it.  You get an evidence packet and some clues to start.  Each day you do a check in and get more clues and some kind of task to complete - like a crossword puzzle - which if you complete you get more clues.  Going along with this there are videos you see each day as part of the Wake Show.  All of this is supervised by the famous Joe Kenda of the TV show "Homicide Hunter."  He gives you daily briefings (by video).  Follow the clues and decide who the culprit or culprits is!

It's a blast to play.  And, if you win (cough, cough, we solved the case and won) you get some nice Princess swag.

So if you're sailing with Princess and you see this in your Patters. .. GIVE IT A TRY!  I'm sure you'll love it!

well congrats ! as a lover of mysteries we will be looking forward for our Oct new england canada sailing THank you....ps...what did you get ???

I was on CB in Feb;  during the sailaway party at the pool the cruise director explained the game to everyone who was there. They had a couple characters there from the game. I too thought it was about selling effy jewelry; but found out it wasn't

Quick answers to some questions above:

* the wife and I worked as a team and they did encourage that - prolly because they don't have 3K evidence packets!  I did see an entire family working as a team (good for them!) so I think you could make your team be pretty much whatever/whoever you wanted.

* we didn't do the sail away party so there may have been an explanation there and we missed it.

* the prizes included the usual Princess swag - water bottle, notebook, and some Eaffy jewelry!  also the obligatory bottle of champagne but since we don't drink that wasn't for us.  oh yes - we got a certificate certifying our crime solving skills which I am now stapling to my application to the FBI academy.  I'm sure I'll be admitted at once!

we really enjoyed it.  we just thought Princess had done a great job with it and it was super fun.  and now we need to find Joe Kenda's show "Homicide Hunters" so we can see how our "mentor" is doing!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Quick answers to some questions above:

* the wife and I worked as a team and they did encourage that - prolly because they don't have 3K evidence packets!  I did see an entire family working as a team (good for them!) so I think you could make your team be pretty much whatever/whoever you wanted.

* we didn't do the sail away party so there may have been an explanation there and we missed it.

* the prizes included the usual Princess swag - water bottle, notebook, and some Eaffy jewelry!  also the obligatory bottle of champagne but since we don't drink that wasn't for us.  oh yes - we got a certificate certifying our crime solving skills which I am now stapling to my application to the FBI academy.  I'm sure I'll be admitted at once!

we really enjoyed it.  we just thought Princess had done a great job with it and it was super fun.  and now we need to find Joe Kenda's show "Homicide Hunters" so we can see how our "mentor" is doing!

So tell us...who did it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Creative programming!  Thanks for posting this information.  If it's on Coral Princess, I think I will try it.

OP,  you mentioned the "Wake Show" as a source for clues.  How long in the A.M. does that program run before its off the air?

So I'll just tell you so you can all win: THE BUTLER DID IT!  lol

The Wake Show is "published" on your ON DEMAND TV screen EACH NIGHT.  Yeah, I was like ... uh ... why is tomorrow's show already on?  It even carries the next day's date!  So you can watch it in the evening.  Kinda weird.

And the shows don't go off the air.  You can go back and watch prior shows all week.  The new on demand system on the TV is really good.  Lots of movie choices.  Lots of other choices.  Music. Even audio books.

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is this a new game to Princess?  I don't see any other posts about it.  It would be great if all ships could add new entertainment like this.  I'm so tired of Bingo, Trivia, Bingo, Trivia, Bingo, Trivia and the same production shows for years and years.  We will be on the Grand this summer again and someone just posted the May Patters.  Stardust....again.  British Invasion.....again.  Uuuggghhh.  Those shows aren't even on Princess's website anymore and haven't been for a long time. I really thought with booking a cruise this year, I would finally be able to see a new show like "Born to Dance", "The Secret Silk" and/or "Encore."  Is it up to the cruise director if he/she wants to go beyond the basics?  When will they change things up on the Grand?

Edited by Nightowl11

7 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

So I'll just tell you so you can all win: THE BUTLER DID IT!  lol

The Wake Show is "published" on your ON DEMAND TV screen EACH NIGHT.  Yeah, I was like ... uh ... why is tomorrow's show already on?  It even carries the next day's date!  So you can watch it in the evening.  Kinda weird.

And the shows don't go off the air.  You can go back and watch prior shows all week.  The new on demand system on the TV is really good.  Lots of movie choices.  Lots of other choices.  Music. Even audio books.

I heard it was the bartender dressed up as the butler who did it. Like when they come up with new activities

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nightowl11 said:

Is this a new game to Princess?  I don't see any other posts about it.  It would be great if all ships could add new entertainment like this.  I'm so tired of Bingo, Trivia, Bingo, Trivia, Bingo, Trivia and the same production shows for years and years.  We will be on the Grand this summer again and someone just posted the May Patters.  Stardust....again.  British Invasion.....again.  Uuuggghhh.  Those shows aren't even on Princess's website anymore and haven't been for a long time. I really thought with booking a cruise this year, I would finally be able to see a new show like "Born to Dance", "The Secret Silk" and/or "Encore."  Is it up to the cruise director if he/she wants to go beyond the basics?  When will they change things up on the Grand?

This activity is listed on the Patters for the Grand this summer. It looks like the “kickoff” is on the 2nd sea day at 2:45 pm (on the patters that Mastersty posted).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dani24 said:

I've seen this listed in the Patters. Is there a way to get new clues or check in tasks if you miss one of the scheduled ones?

if you miss a clue you aren't out ... you just keep going from there.  IIRC we got a crossword puzzle on Sunday that was due at check in on Monday.  if you didn't do it you wouldn't get the clue "reward" but you could get the next task.

and you can always pay attention to who else is doing HSH and see if you could talk them in to helping you, giving you the clue you missed, etc.  

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMark said:

always when everyone is on board.

Thank you.  We have participated in things before only to find out we were not going to be able to attend an important part down the road, then you feel like time was wasted.  I'm really looking forward to this, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for this info.. have done the Escape Room twice, didn’t realize they only had one mystery to solve😩, so this sounds like a great adventure.

Thanks for explaining.. I’ll look for it in the Patters 😍

We had it on our recent Alaska cruise on the Star. Although it wasn't of much interest to me, a lot of people on the ship did seem to take part. I do think it was the first time it had been done by this particular staff though as there did seem to be a few 'glitches'. I do like that Princess are trying out new things like this. Here is the part of my review that was about the High Seas heist :-

They had a new event on board which lasted for about 5 days that was called "High Seas Heist". It was like a mystery type event where you had to solve various clues and work out who was 'guilty'. It seems like Princess has teamed up with Joe Kenda and this is going to be a regular thing on some ships as Joe appeared in many of the video clues.  It was a popular event as a lot of people took part but there are definitely some things about it that need to be fine-tuned by Princess if it is going to become a regular thing. The day before it started was a port day and the majority of passengers were off the ship. However there were a few of us on-board including myself and my oldest son who were sitting near the explorers lounge around lunchtime. There were a few other passengers there too. The entertainment staff did a rehearsal for the High Seas Heist event in the explorers lounge and went through all of the clues, eventually giving out the final answer. I hope this was because it was such a new event and they won't do this on every future cruise in a public area.  My son and I had no intention of taking part so we were not too bothered about it. However, to cut a very long story short, when the event ended only 1 team had the correct answer. It just so happened to be a couple who were sitting by my son and I when the rehearsal was happening so they knew the answer before it even started. A lot of people invested a lot of time into the game and were very angry at the outcome. I talked to a few of them and they said that it was impossible to work out the answer from the clues that they were given. The 'winning' couple had told these people that they didn't do any of the work on the clues and that they just guessed the answer! Obviously we know that it wasn't a guess as they'd seen the answer given out at the rehearsal.  As I said earlier there were a LOT of people upset about this game so if Princess are going to continue with it there are some things that need to be done better - including not giving out the answer in a rehearsal that's being done in a public area!

• Like 1