Hype over Ocean Cay fizzling since everything a la carte

LMaxwell

7 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Most of the construction delays, though not revealed to the general public, were because the extent of environmental pollution to the island that wasn't disclosed to MSC when they bought the island. The extra year or so of "construction" was basically detoxing the island. They weren't happy about the "delay" either. Cost them an exhorbitant amount of money in clean-up.

Bret 

I think it is wonderful that what was once an industrial site of an aragonite sand pit so to speak--is being reclaimed. From what I read MSC is spending A LOT of money to not only build --yet to also put in a research center, rebuild the coral reefs, replant many species of plants etc. Hopefully hurricane season will cooperate this year. 

I am sure MSC was NOT happy to find that issues re the island and clean up were hidden from them. Certainly information from due-diligence was produced and when a party wants to unload a site needing cleanup... it sounds like the sellers (lease holders) were not forthcoming. If I read this correctly MSc leased the land for 100 yrs and is improving it. The Bahamian gov is the leaseholder-scoundrels

We have B2B booked and are supposed to call on Ocean Cay on each sailing. We are sailing YC.

The YC menu looks lovely. While I realize the construction of the YC sites may not be done--I do hope they do better by us than pasta salad. 

Edited by Fogfog

11 hours ago, Fogfog said:

While I realize the construction of the YC sites may not be done--I do hope they do better by us than pasta salad. 

My plan is still to return to the ship for any  meals in the YC Restaurant.  I am not willing to pay YC prices for a "beach picnic".

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, jean87510 said:

I'm sure other nationalities will feel a challenge. And btw being American myself I probably as well as my husband could outrun you and are probably in better shape then you. Dont generalize all Americans. 

I was talking mainly about mentality but it's nice to know you can outrun someone on way to Buffet. 👍

• Haha 5

On 5/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, marcoigna said:

i have spent way more $ on Royal and Princess - so really u did pay for this meal on the island  as well - nothing is free in life - so if you want to spend $2000.00 for a cruise on Royal / Princess rather than a $1000.00 and MSC  to get a free beach barbeque buffet - then go ahead

Actually, our upcoming 2020 MSC Meraviglia cruise cost me the same as our 2019 RCI Allure cruise. Same time frame (spring break) a year apart. The cheapest inside cabin for 3 is the same $1,600.  Oh, and it's $1,600 on MSC only because of the 15% discount (10% off special and 5% status match). Otherwise, it'd be more.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 10:29 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Most of the construction delays, though not revealed to the general public, were because the extent of environmental pollution to the island that wasn't disclosed to MSC when they bought the island. The extra year or so of "construction" was basically detoxing the island. They weren't happy about the "delay" either. Cost them an exhorbitant amount of money in clean-up.

Bret 

I wonder if it was sufficiently detoxed. I am bringing a kid there after all.

I was looking at the Ocean Cay website FAQ section and noticed some different wording that the Seekers Buffet is complimentary for all guests.  The FAQ also mentions which ship's restaurants will be open; MDR and Buffet for breakfast, Buffet only for lunch and for some odd reason it says only the MDRs and specialties will be open for dinner, with no mention of the ship's dinner buffet?

http://www.mscoceancay.com/en-us/faq

OC1.JPG

OC2.JPG

Edited by Até
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Até said:

I was looking at the Ocean Cay website FAQ section and noticed some different wording that the Seekers Buffet is complimentary for all guests.  The FAQ also mentions which ship's restaurants will be open; MDR and Buffet for breakfast, Buffet only for lunch and for some odd reason it says only the MDRs and specialties will be open for dinner, with no mention of the ship's dinner buffet?

OC1.JPG

OC2.JPG

Yes and the option to prepurchase it is gone from the MSC site.  Thank you for posting this!!! Looks like they listened.

• Like 1

Hoping that this means Ocean Cay will be completed and ready for guests.

Do we have any updates re that?

Hoping too that hurricane season 2019 isn't destructive and wiping away construction materials, newly planted trees and newly constructed beaches. 

With our B2B we will be at OC twice in two weeks

• Like 1

That's great if they really have decided not to charge for the buffet! That's why I always say subject to change when posting about MSC. Sometimes I think MSC stands for Most Surely Changes. 😀 But now I wonder if they will go to a more basic menu? 🤔

Bret

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

That's great if they really have decided not to charge for the buffet! That's why I always say subject to change when posting about MSC. Sometimes I think MSC stands for Most Surely Changes. 😀 But now I wonder if they will go to a more basic menu? 🤔

Bret

Any updates on how the facilities are coming along?

I thought the plan for the coral research center etc is brilliant. Allows them to grow corals to rebuild the area/reefs for both environmental impact--also tourism, snorkeling, esthetics etc

Thats "long-game" planning

10 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

But now I wonder if they will go to a more basic menu?

While I like the idea of the island buffet being included for all I do have worries that they will need to staff it appropriately or there will be problems.  Basically there will only be two places open for lunch; the ship or the island buffet.  At $19 per person I figure they originally only planned on a small percent eating at the island buffet, with it included for all that will now be a much higher percent.  I feel it's an NCL Escape's initial Margaritaville debacle in the making.  I think the island buffet menu that you posted was limited as it was from the start so hopefully that will drive people back onto the ship, but the ease of eating on the island will still probably make the island buffet quite crowded.  My guess is the island buffet cost will settle somewhere in the middle. 

Edited by Até

5 minutes ago, Brendaflamingo said:

Anybody know where the cabanas are on the island?

MSC still talks about Deluxe and standard versions, with the difference being included service amenities, even though currently only the standard ones are available.  Then additionally there are the YC ocean view and oceanfront versions which will be in a separate area developed later in Spring.  I see some specific ones shown at the Aurea spa area, but the standard ones are a little obscure,  my guess would be in the North and South beach areas around the lagoon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Até said:

While I like the idea of the island buffet being included for all I do have worries that they will need to staff it appropriately or there will be problems.  Basically there will only be two places open for lunch; the ship or the island buffet.  At $19 per person I figure they originally only planned on a small percent eating at the island buffet, with it included for all that will now be a much higher percent.  I feel it's an NCL Escape's initial Margaritaville debacle in the making.  I think the island buffet menu that you posted was limited as it was from the start so hopefully that will drive people back onto the ship, but the ease of eating on the island will still probably make the island buffet quite crowded.  My guess is the island buffet cost will settle somewhere in the middle. 

I have been on Princess, Holland America and NCL's private islands and their buffets are all free.  As a matter of fact, MSC charging for the buffet on the private island was thefirst I had heard of anyone doing this other than Amber Cove and Harvest Cove which are not really private islands. 

On the other private islands there has never been a problem with long lines, etc at the buffet so I am confused as to why you would thing MSC would have such a problem when others don't.

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have been on Princess, Holland America and NCL's private islands and their buffets are all free.  As a matter of fact, MSC charging for the buffet on the private island was thefirst I had heard of anyone doing this other than Amber Cove and Harvest Cove which are not really private islands. 

On the other private islands there has never been a problem with long lines, etc at the buffet so I am confused as to why you would thing MSC would have such a problem when others don't.

Fewer staff overall on the ship.

I will be visiting Ocean Cay in November 9th (first visitors 🙂) with Meraviglia. Cant wait!

From what I read it should be great experience. Personally I love that we will dock for a full day, because I think I will be able to explore the whole island.

Regarding buffet there is inconsistency with info on the fee. In the FAQ area it states:

"Yes, the island will offer a family buffet restaurant, food trucks, bars, and an ice cream parlor. Seakers Buffet (family buffet) is complimentary for all guests, while the food trucks, bars and ice-cream parlor will charge a nominal fee ($). "

But when you click on "Explore the Island" and than on Seakers Buffet it is written:

"At Seakers Food Court, guests will find freshly prepared meals and authentic Bahamian flavors for a small fee."

3 hours ago, Domen said:

I will be visiting Ocean Cay in November 9th (first visitors 🙂) with Meraviglia. Cant wait!

From what I read it should be great experience. Personally I love that we will dock for a full day, because I think I will be able to explore the whole island.

Regarding buffet there is inconsistency with info on the fee. In the FAQ area it states:

"Yes, the island will offer a family buffet restaurant, food trucks, bars, and an ice cream parlor. Seakers Buffet (family buffet) is complimentary for all guests, while the food trucks, bars and ice-cream parlor will charge a nominal fee ($). "

But when you click on "Explore the Island" and than on Seakers Buffet it is written:

"At Seakers Food Court, guests will find freshly prepared meals and authentic Bahamian flavors for a small fee."

I am thinking it is a typical IT mistake, change info in one area, forget to change the information in other spots. 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:52 PM, Até said:

OC1.JPG

OC2.JPG

Thanks for the information! 

15 hours ago, Brendaflamingo said:

Anybody know where the cabanas are on the island?

thanks

Brenda

Once the entire island has opened, the Standard Cabanas will be located on South Beach (the south side) of the Lagoon. There will be approximately 15 of them. The Deluxe are showing all on the North Island. Some facing the Lagoon on North Beach and some ocean facing on Bimini Beach. The Yacht Club Oceanfront Cabanas will be on Ocean House Beach which is a small area (only 6 cabanas) facing east. The Yacht Club Oceanview Cabanas will be on the extreme northeast corner of North Island which will be all boulders with no beach.

Remember this is after the whole island is completed next Spring. Things will be different up until then. For example, Yacht Club Cabanas will be on North Beach facing the Lagoon.

Hope this helps. And as always, it's MSC...things are subject to change. 😀

Bret 

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I think MSC originally planned on the majority of people going back onto the ship for lunch and to encourage that they set the island buffet price at $19.  Perhaps I'm misreading the size of the Seakers facility from the renditions, but if they are now making it complimentary I worry about problems because as depicted it does not appear adequately sized to handle the number of people that will now plan on eating there.