First HAL cruise

sailor moon

Next Saturday we board our first HAL cruise on  the Oosterdam for Alaska to celebrate our 29 wedding anniversary! We were able to snag a Neptune suite 7142.  Since we have never sailed HAL, is there anything we should know or look out for in terms of eating or shows.... We are very excited to try a new cruise line 😊

Jackie

• Like 1

Hopefully you’ll love your Neptune suite and a perfect cruise to celebrate your anniversary!  Enjoy access to the Neptune lounge for various snacks throughout the day-I love their lattes.  There’s a coffee maker in your cabin but I prefer the Neptune lounge.  You can order room service free too if you want to do that or arrange with concierge one day to have afternoon tea in your cabin.  We had friends on our balcony of our Neptune suite while in Glacier Bay enjoying wine and snacks.  

Have a wonderful time!  (Free laundry too if you want to use it). 

You can order either afternoon tea and/or appetizers for your cabin -- talk to the concierges before and they can arrange it.  You choose the time you want to have them.

You are also entitled to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill -- no charge.  The menu is the same as the dining room menu.  Sea days the Pinnacle Grill is open from 8 - 9:30; port days it is open from 7:30 - 9.

Congratulations on your Neptune Suite and your anniversary!

My advice would be to never underestimate what your Neptune Lounge Concierges can do for you.  If someone tells you no you can bet they will tell you yes... and they will make it happen.

I like a fruit plate to start my breakfast.  You won’t find it on the menu but they will bring it to you if you ask.  If you are a coffee freak you can also request specific coffees instead of accepting what they pour.  I found their regular coffee is better than their French Press, but the Americano is the best.  I agree that the Lounge coffee is outstanding.

Also with regard to the lounge... the selections change throughout the day so drop by often.  Condensed New York Times and crosswords/Sudoku are available in the lounge or you can request they be delivered to your room in the mornings.

Enjoy your cruise!

18 hours ago, sailor moon said:

Next Saturday we board our first HAL cruise on  the Oosterdam for Alaska to celebrate our 29 wedding anniversary! We were able to snag a Neptune suite 7142.  Since we have never sailed HAL, is there anything we should know or look out for in terms of eating or shows.... We are very excited to try a new cruise line 😊

Jackie

There are soooo many things to know, especially when traveling in a Neptune Suite.  My best advice - go back through this board for MANY pages and read all the comments that mention Neptune suites or other things that might interest you.  Yes, it will take alot of time, but IMO it will be well worth it.

My favorite Neptune perk - breakfast in the Pinnacle.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Congratulations on your Neptune Suite and your anniversary!

My advice would be to never underestimate what your Neptune Lounge Concierges can do for you.  If someone tells you no you can bet they will tell you yes... and they will make it happen.

I like a fruit plate to start my breakfast.  You won’t find it on the menu but they will bring it to you if you ask.  If you are a coffee freak you can also request specific coffees instead of accepting what they pour.  I found their regular coffee is better than their French Press, but the Americano is the best.  I agree that the Lounge coffee is outstanding.

Also with regard to the lounge... the selections change throughout the day so drop by often.  Condensed New York Times and crosswords/Sudoku are available in the lounge or you can request they be delivered to your room in the mornings.

Enjoy your cruise!

Absolutely agree with regard to the concierges in the Neptune Lounge.  OP, you will never have to step foot near the main desk on the ship, and that's worth its weight in gold!  

Miss, G, I'm curious about your coffee comment. Where on the ship were you able to order French Press and Americano (which is an espresso coffee)?  The only place I know of for Americano is Explorations cafe, and I've never seen a French Press on board, so I'm SO intrigued!  Do tell! 

3 hours ago, Moriah said:

Miss, G, I'm curious about your coffee comment. Where on the ship were you able to order French Press and Americano (which is an espresso coffee)?  The only place I know of for Americano is Explorations cafe, and I've never seen a French Press on board, so I'm SO intrigued!  Do tell! 

The only time I ordered the French Press was in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast.  I was rather disappointed in the flavor so I never ordered it again.

I have had the Americano in the Pinnacle Grill as well as Club Orange.  You need to specifically request it or they will give you the brewed pour.

There was no extra charge for either request.

I'm pretty sure you're going to be happy with your Neptune Suite as a first time HAL cruiser.  The concierges in the Neptune Lounge will do everything from make your dinner reservations at specialty restaurants to exchanging currencies and so much more.  Along with your lovely suite comes free laundry AND dry cleaning (if you get a spot on a suit, or whatever), and the daily delivery (if you so request) of appetizers in the afternoon.  There will also be a corsage and boutonniere delivered to your suite for you to wear (or not) on the first Gala evening.  You are also one of the few cabins on the ship that will have a clock on the wall.

Please come back after your cruise and let us know your thoughts on the HAL and Neptune experience.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

We really enjoyed 7142 on the Noordam (same class, sister ship to Oosterdam) Having a port, aft-wrap balcony made for some good photographs. As others have mentioned, the staff for suite guests is impeccable. Enjoy!  

13 hours ago, cruise47 said:

The Neptune Suite is liked what Suite category sailing with Celebrity Cruise Line ?

Looking to sailing with HAL for our 52th Anniversary in April.

Thanks for any assistance.

HAL Neptune Suites do not offer anything close to the amenities you get in Celebrity Suites other than more space, no private dinning room, (the PG breakfast doesn't count as one) and no butler. HAL has a private dinning room in the new Pinnacle Class ships called Club Orange, but they allow non suites guest to use this for a daily  upcharge which IMO ruins the concept.  However the HAL NS are usually much less cost than comparable X Suites. Its all about what is important to you.