Eyes swell when cruising, anyone else?

Lizsab

Every single time I go in a cruise my eyes swell underneath by the 2nd day in.   I go on board with 2 bags and leave with 4 every single time! It occurs whether I fly to the port or not. This also happens to me anytime I am on vacation near the ocean.  The swelling is gone two days after returning home until the next cruise or vacation by the ocean.  Does anyone else have this issue? I read many who have ankle swelling but never eyes.  My ankles do not swell whatsoever, it just collects under my eyes.  Any suggestions? I’m tired of having to Wear sunglasses the whole cruise  :( I’m starting to wonder if my body is absorbing the salt water? 

• Like 1

You seem to be  either allergic to the salt air, or simply it's the extra humidity that is causing you to retain fluid.....swollen eyes are a sign of fluid retention!   (Hubby is on dialysis, and I can tell by his eyes if he needs to up his ultra-filtration for the next treatment).....

Talk to your Doc....perhaps a fluid pill would help out!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lizsab said:

Every single time I go in a cruise my eyes swell underneath by the 2nd day in.   I go on board with 2 bags and leave with 4 every single time! It occurs whether I fly to the port or not. This also happens to me anytime I am on vacation near the ocean.  The swelling is gone two days after returning home until the next cruise or vacation by the ocean.  Does anyone else have this issue? I read many who have ankle swelling but never eyes.  My ankles do not swell whatsoever, it just collects under my eyes.  Any suggestions? I’m tired of having to Wear sunglasses the whole cruise 😞 I’m starting to wonder if my body is absorbing the salt water? 

The food preparation in many restaurants, including on cruise ships, typically adds more sodium to their meal preparation than the average home cook will. They do this to make the foods have more flavor. Excess sodium causes fluid retention. Perhaps this is the cause of your puffy areas under the eyes.  

Edited by SantaFeFan

Puffy eyes can be caused by dehydration.  And I only usually get them in 2 places: cruising and Disneyland.  The only thing those 2 places have in common is I take a motion-sickness pill every night before bed.  So, I think the pills are drying me out and causing me to get dehydrated.  Since I figured that out I try extra hard to drink enough water and it definitely  has helped.

I have worked in the health care industry for several decades, and even I experience the same thing. There are several causes of puffy bags under the eyes. According to the Mayo Clinic:

Overview

Bags under eyes — mild swelling or puffiness under the eyes — are common as you age. With aging, the tissues around your eyes, including some of the muscles supporting your eyelids, weaken. Normal fat that helps support the eyes can then move into the lower eyelids, causing the lids to appear puffy. Fluid also may accumulate in the space below your eyes, adding to the swelling.

Bags under eyes are usually a cosmetic concern and rarely a sign of a serious underlying medical condition. At-home remedies, such as cool compresses, can help improve the appearance of bags under eyes. For persistent or bothersome under-eye puffiness, eyelid surgery may be an option.

Symptoms

Bags under eyes can include:

·         Mild swelling

·         Saggy or loose skin

·         Dark circles

Causes

As you age, the tissue structures and muscles supporting your eyelids weaken. The skin may start to sag, and fat that is normally confined to the area around the eye (orbit) can move into the area below your eyes. Also, the space below your eyes can accumulate fluid, making the under-eye area appear puffy or swollen. Several factors cause or worsen this effect, including:

·         Fluid retention, especially upon waking or after a salty meal

·         Lack of sleep

·         Allergies

·         Smoking

·         Heredity — under-eye bags can run in families

Almost everything you eat on the ship and at any restaurant is full of salt. It doesn't take a lot to make you retain fluid. BTW, it has nothing to do with breathing sea air.

10 hours ago, flamomo said:

Being on or vacationing near the ocean means you are breathing in the salty air!! Unavoidable!!

Unless you are being slapped in the face by salt spray, there is no salt in "salt air"  Air is a vapor, and salt does not evaporate into a vapor.  The "salt air" smell is not even caused by salt, but by the gases given off by ocean dwelling bacteria.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Unless you are being slapped in the face by salt spray, there is no salt in "salt air"  Air is a vapor, and salt does not evaporate into a vapor.  The "salt air" smell is not even caused by salt, but by the gases given off by ocean dwelling bacteria.

Thanks for injecting a  shot of reality.   Breathing salt in sea air?   Wow!

• Like 2

I have never had an issue with puffy eyes until our cruise last month on Carnival Magic.  I did the Fire and Ice manicure with my DD and the Spa person put some eye cream on my eyes to try to make an extra sale.  That night and the next 2 days my eyes were puffy.  I'm sure my issue was an allergic reaction even though I have never had a reaction to any creams like that before.  Next time I get a manicure though, I am going to make sure they don't go near my eyes.

19 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

I have never had an issue with puffy eyes until our cruise last month on Carnival Magic.  I did the Fire and Ice manicure with my DD and the Spa person put some eye cream on my eyes to try to make an extra sale.  That night and the next 2 days my eyes were puffy.  I'm sure my issue was an allergic reaction even though I have never had a reaction to any creams like that before.  Next time I get a manicure though, I am going to make sure they don't go near my eyes.

Good idea: keep manicurists away from your eyes.