What have they done to your Cuba cruise?

My heart goes out to those of you who have been planning a cruise to Cuba and are now facing all these issues. 😥

It makes me even more thankful that my husband and I went back in 2017 - we had a feeling that the relationship between the US and Cuba wasn't going to stay good for long.

• Like 3

We are scheduled for the 6/23 RCI Cruise "6 Night Best of Cuba" on the Empress. The shore excurison website is now showing:

Day 1: Miami

Day 3: Costa Maya

Day 4: Cozumel

Day 6: Key West

Day 7: Miami

Quite a change! No word on credits or refunds. 

I logged on to check the status of my cruise (11/7-15 to Cuba and Labadee) and the ports have been changed to: 

George Town, Grand Cayman

Belize City, Belize

Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico

Key West

I hope we have the option for a full refund. 

• Like 1

I am set for a July 8, 2019 sailing on Majesty - 5 nights with 2 in Havana.  Went on my cruise planner and it still shows Havana on shore excursion page.  Maybe they are making their way through the sailings in date order.  😪

2 minutes ago, Dem920 said:

I am set for a July 8, 2019 sailing on Majesty - 5 nights with 2 in Havana.  Went on my cruise planner and it still shows Havana on shore excursion page.  Maybe they are making their way through the sailings in date order.  😪

I am talking to RCL now.  The CSR reps were not told of the changes - I TOLD HIM...he logged into my reservation and was speechless.  He is trying to get guidance.

32 minutes ago, Kman0010 said:

We are scheduled for the 6/23 RCI Cruise "6 Night Best of Cuba" on the Empress. The shore excurison website is now showing:

We are on the same one. When you click on, for instance, Costa Maya it still shows the Grand Caymen excursions. I realize they need to do some rearranging but thought it was funny to see that.

43 minutes ago, Kman0010 said:

On this cruise as well. Really really disappointed in the choice of new ports. Why wouldn't they keep Grand Cayman?! Will definitely be pursuing a full refund if that's an option. It kills me that we're probably going to lose all the money on our non-refundable flights.

My 8 day cruise on September 7 has been updated to St Croix, St Thomas, and San Juan instead of an overnight in Havana and a stop in Cienfuegos.  Really disappointed, but glad it's an eastern caribbean itinerary as I have already done all of the western ports several times!!

12 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I hope they dont send all those ship to coco cay at the same time😘

That's what I'm worried about. Being on the Navigator as the only ship in port was going to be nice to check out the changes. As I type this though, It sounds I'm being a little selfish.

Very sorry to hear this news for all that had these cruises to Cuba scheduled. My opinion, and everyone knows what that is worth, is that RCL needs to offer:

a) 100% full cash refund for those that want to cancel 

b) 100% full cash refund if RCL cancels the cruise

c) 50% credit for those that want to stay on their cruise with new itinerary, assuming it still happens 

d) 100% credit for those that want to change cruises

This isn't RCL's fault but it isn't the passenger's either. They need to change policies for this circumstance and be flexible. I would not be happy with the port changes on these ships with limited amenities and the prices charged. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I feel terrible for those booked on these ships.

I would be so disappointed if I was stuck on Majesty or Empress to anywhere other than Cuba. I sincerely hope they offer to let everybody booked on these cancel and transfer to other ships if they can't go to Cuba. Those ships are so obsolete compared to the rest of the fleet :(. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I feel terrible for those booked on these ships.

I would be so disappointed if I was stuck on Majesty or Empress to anywhere other than Cuba. I sincerely hope they offer to let everybody booked on these cancel and transfer to other ships if they can't go to Cuba. Those ships are so obsolete compared to the rest of the fleet :(. 

I'm leaving on 6/15 on Majesty. If they offer us the 50% off deal, I would be happy with that. The only alternative would be to cancel, but then I'm out all my money if I do that.

Everyone keeps quoting the "grandfathering" clause, but you aren't reading the entire order. 

Separate and apart from that language, is an order preventing all "cruise vessels" from sailing to the island, effective today. The way it reads, it appears to "trump" (LOL) the grandfathering provisions.

This is the source of the confusion, but it seems to me based on my reading (and how the cruise lines seem to be proceeding):

1) If you already have a booked trip to go, then you can go.

2) But you can't go via a cruise ship. 

With something as large as a ship, I'm not even sure how grandfathering would work "if it's an option". Clearly the cruise lines would have to stop selling new tickets on those cruises. Cruise lines don't like to sail with a lot of vacancy. So, perhaps a few of the ones that are very, very close to sail date and are 100 percent full, if a grandfathering option were available, would be able to do it. But most cruises would likely end up with an itinerary change, anyways. 

I'm terribly sorry for all the passengers dealing with this, especially those of you who only picked this cruise because of Cuba, and have purchased other airfare, etc. Even if RCI and the others do a solid and allow you to cancel and refund, I'm not sure the airlines will be as nice. 

It's truly amazing that in the USA, a country that is focused and founded so much on individual freedom and liberty, that our country can prevent law-abiding citizens from traveling to the location of their choice. It's ok to have a million guns, but no, you can't go travel where you want. Insane. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bobbyandali said:

It's truly amazing that in the USA, a country that is focused and founded so much on individual freedom and liberty, that our country can prevent law-abiding citizens from traveling to the location of their choice. It's ok to have a million guns, but no, you can't go travel where you want. 

You can travel to Cuba, just not on a cruise ship, this week.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gkbiiii said:

Your being political and not understanding the grave injustices done to Miami's Cuban American Community.  To say more would be against CC Politics policy.

The injustices to that community - whatever they are - should not affect the other 300 million plus US citizens who want to travel where they want. To my knowledge, no one is forcing those US citizens to go to Cuba or support Cuba in any way. 

My response was based on a political post earlier that basically said this was the right thing to do for political reasons. I respectfully disagree. 

I don't like discussing politics either, but this was a political decision that has a real impact on cruising, which is the purpose of this board. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My Florida Cuban American US Senator Marco Rubio is quite opinionated on this, as are all my doctors and my dentist.  The managers & employees in my condo building, etc.  Its a big thing here in Miami Beach.

Their land and other property was stolen from them etc.

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1