Excursion Planning

Hi All,  I’ve got PDFs of previous excursions for our Barcelona to Southampton Cruise next year.  It is not obvious to me, from the PDFs, which are included excursions and those that are “Choice”.  A few say that they are “Choice”, but it seems that others should be but are not.  Additionally, there are no prices for the “Choice” or others for that matter?  How do I adequately, plan for the excursion sign-up in my weight class, ummm.. suite level?

Thanks, Mad

Firstly, your suite level plays no part in what the cost of excursions are.  The only difference is that people in concierge and above suites can book excursions earlier than those in lower categories.  And, even if your excursions of choice are full when you are able to book online, the odds are in your favor that when you go on the waitlist, it will clear.

It is a bit unusual that you cannot see Regent Choice prices on previous excursions.  In any case, you likely will not see prices and the final list of Regent excursions until excursion bookings open.

What we do is write down the excursions that we are or may be interested in booking.  Then, when excursion bookings open, we look at the cost, the times when the excursions are offered and make a decision at that point.

If you have not already done so, go to the rssc.com website and fill in the information under "My Account". Once you put in your booking I.D., and the dates of the cruise, you will see the dates that you can sign up for excursions and dining reservations.  Whatever date that they show is midnight Eastern time.  If you live on the West Coast, you can book at 9:00 p.m.   

Another date that is important to note is the date that you can "deviate" air (*270 days prior to your cruise).  I strongly recommend deviating since most passengers do and what Regent does not assign flights until 90 days (not sure of the exact number of days) prior to the cruise.  By then, many of the best flights are already booked (Regent contracts with most airlines but only has a specified number of contracted seats per flight...... so, while the flight may not be sold out, Regent seats are).

Hope that this helps and that you have a great cruise!

*If you go to this website https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html and put in the date of your cruise and subtract 270 days, you will know when you can deviate.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks, TravelCat, this helps to confirm my suspicions that I plan from what I know and wing it from there.  I’ve got all the dates and times in my calendar and will ping my TA when I know it’s time to plan flights, unless they are ahead of me.  As to excursions,  I’m preparing a spreadsheet with my 1st, 2nd choices.  Still puzzled about no prices and “Choice” excursions not being evident.  Perhaps too early?

Thanks, Mad

Mad, As RollTide2 indicates this years May cruise shows the information you want. It sounds like you requested a PDF of the excursions. For the included excursions it says "free shore excursions" to the right of the name of the excursion. It also shows a "retail price" and a "tour price" of $0.00. For the choice excursions or those that you pay for it shows a "retail price" and then a "tour price". So for example on the CARAVACA DE LA CRUZ tour it shows a retail price of $229 and a tour price of $109 (that is your PP price). As TC said, the prices and some tours will likely change when its time to make your reservation next year, but this gives you a pretty good idea of alternatives. If I am completely missing your question or point, I apologize......

Thanks, all.  I previously downloaded PDFs for the the upcoming trip so there were no prices.  Your right that this year’s trip does have the prices so that’s a great start as a guide. 

8 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Thanks, all.  I previously downloaded PDFs for the the upcoming trip so there were no prices.  Your right that this year’s trip does have the prices so that’s a great start as a guide. 

You said your cruise is next year.  For our cruise last year (our first Regent cruise), the excursions for our specific cruise were published about 4 weeks prior to early booking.  We had a PH so we could book early.  As others have said, look over the excursions from past cruises, then when the excursions for your cruise are released you'll have a good idea what you want.  We booked at midnight on the first day and got everything we wanted.  Except one tour was not available.  I looked a couple of days later and they'd added it and some other excursions.   So even after you book, keep watching as sometimes new or different excursions are released.  If that happens and you want to change, you need to call Regent and do it over the phone.  

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Actually if you a named suite (suites higher than Penthouse) you get a 5% discount on any Regent Choice excursions.

Note that it is actually Concierge Suites and higher that receive the 5% savings on excursions and pre - post hotel bookings.

1 hour ago, douginct said:

Note that it is actually Concierge Suites and higher that receive the 5% savings on excursions and pre - post hotel bookings.

Good to know.  I forgot about that. We’re in a concierge D. 

Could those with the experience, comment on whether they found the upcharge for a small group tour vs free tour of same venue worth the money? 

Thanks again for your contributions to my education. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, MadMarine said:

Could those with the experience, comment on whether they found the upcharge for a small group tour vs free tour of same venue worth the money? 

Mad, it's been my experience that it totally depends on the tour in question - we've paid for smaller, more exclusive tours that were just on par with a larger tour, some weren't even as good, and some were amazing.  As a general rule, I prefer smaller groups but it depends on how steep the upcharge is.

Unfortunately, in my experience the answer is a definite 'Maybe'.  Sorry I couldn't be more help...

On 6/7/2019 at 7:21 AM, MadMarine said:

I will find out whether they are worth more money or not later this year. I found the upcharge for the small group ones very reasonable when i booked. I hope we get value for the extra cost. 

Thanks, Bill. I’ve had the same kinds of experiences.  Mostly a crap shoot unless there are good reviews to be had.  Even then, vendors change etc,.  Was just wondering if there was some general opinions formed based on several cruises.  

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I will find out whether they are worth more money or not later this year. I found the upcharge for the small group ones very reasonable when i booked. I hope we get value for the extra cost. 

Looking forward to your observations!

Bill, Thanks so much, got it. I was trying to find that link under the "Shore Excursions—customize" section of my booked cruise, instead of the general cruise description. I will make a note in my reference notes for Regent. 

Susan

Just a comment about the small charge for the same excursions that others are taking (included).  This is not the same thing as a Regent Choice excursion. It is simply an included excursion with less people.

We have taken many Regent Choice excursions and, almost always find them much better than included excursions.  The best IOO (in our opinion) are the food related Regent Choice excursions - they are amazing.  And, if you are on Explorer, some of them take place partially in the Culinary Kitchen and partially on land.  We have prepared full meals (with other guests) in restaurants in Funchal, Portugal and Rhodes, Greece that were fabulous (could have been the wine that we were given while preparing the food).

The best Regent Choice excursion was at a 2 Michelin star restaurant (Quatro Passe - likely misspelled) in Italy.  It was likely the best meal of our lives.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie - a question on a related topic:   When do you think the actual excursions will be available for our 14/3/20 Splendour cruise?   My statement says I can book these on 18 July and I would have thought that the actual info would be available now but it doesn't seem to be...

Gerry

4 hours ago, Joanandjoe said:

Excursions for 4/16/19 on the Splendor, NYC to Barcelona, are now listed on the web site and available as a PDF.

Hi Joan and Joe.  Think that your dates are off.  Splendor doesn't launch until February, 2020.  Not sure when your cruise is.