Take food ashore from a Princess ship in Norway

Maple30

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I have been cruising for over 20yrs and never known a cruise line to provide packaged lunches on excursion. We did do one excursion in Madeira which provided a packed lunch but this was provided by the local tour company who did the excursion and not provided by the cruise line.

Fred Olsen do them for their “Cruise and walk” holidays 🙂

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I have been cruising for over 20yrs and never known a cruise line to provide packaged lunches on excursion. We did do one excursion in Madeira which provided a packed lunch but this was provided by the local tour company who did the excursion and not provided by the cruise line.

I had it once, 20 years ago. I think the cruise line did it but am not entirely sure - It was a trip to Tulum in Mexico.

I've also had a (nice) box lunch provided on a Princess excursion - Cozumel (to Cancun) to Chichen Itza ruins - long day.  This was no more than 3 years ago.  We've also had snacks provided on various other "all day" type excursions, but those were the packaged granola bar or chips type snacks. 

Edited by peanutter
left part out

On 6/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, Joy_K said:

@Maple30 I'm on the same cruise with you, different tour provider and our guide is doing a picnic lunch for us.  Try asking your tour provider if they will be able to do the same for you.  

Hi Joy,

What a great idea! I'll email them.

We're "weird" cruisers. We don't have to have lunch. In Alaska the Tundra Wilderness Tour gives each person a small boxed snack. Many seem to take extra food (you can get a box lunch from the lodge to take with you on the excursion) but neither of us even finishes the provided snack. People look at my girth and assume I likely eat a lot but the truth is I can't eat a large amount of food. Skipping lunch in a port has never been a hardship for us.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Joy_K said:

@Maple30 I'm on the same cruise with you, different tour provider and our guide is doing a picnic lunch for us.  Try asking your tour provider if they will be able to do the same for you.  

and what a great tour this is going to be. Although, I'll probably still have a chocolate bar or two in my bag (you never can be too sure).

Unless you need a regular intake for medical reasons I have never seen what the problem is we always have a good breakfast before leaving the ship and then eat nothing whilst ashore. Its a pleasant break from over eating whilst on the ship and I would rather spend time ashore exploring or visiting places rather than sitting in a cafe/restaurant.

• Like 2

Last year on a tour to Valley of Kings with. a 5am start, we were given a breakfast pack by CMV.  What a waste of food, hardly anyone ate all the food provided and in such a poor country it was a shame to see food wasted.  I have always found Princess tours provide opportunities for lunch or snacks on longer tours.

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Unless you need a regular intake for medical reasons I have never seen what the problem is we always have a good breakfast before leaving the ship and then eat nothing whilst ashore. Its a pleasant break from over eating whilst on the ship and I would rather spend time ashore exploring or visiting places rather than sitting in a cafe/restaurant.

I would not agree but if thats what you like then ok.I get sick if I dont eat something every 4 hours. Not sure why.I would rather spend the time in a local cafe for a half hour. Not much time out of an all day tour.

8 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I would not agree but if thats what you like then ok.I get sick if I dont eat something every 4 hours. Not sure why.I would rather spend the time in a local cafe for a half hour. Not much time out of an all day tour.

If you read my quote I did say "unless you need a regular intake for medical reasons" but for those that do not I dont think missing out on lunch should be a problem taking into account the massive amount of overeating that takes place on cruises.