Carrying Luggage On?

Going on Symphony in June, and I much prefer to carry my luggage on. This will be my first time leaving from the Miami port and from the videos I’ve seen there’s only an escalator? 

Does anyone know if there are elevators at the Miami port? If not, did you or anyone you know have trouble carrying your luggage up the escalators? 

Has to be able to fit through airport-type security scanners. Not sure if you would be allowed to take on escalators. Anyone with larger or more than one carry on is usually directed to use elevators, along with wheelchair passengers - keeps things moving and safety. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
  • Thanks 1

You must have one hand free to use the escalator.  If not, they will direct you to the elevator.  If you get to the port before about 2 you will be hauling your suitcases around everywhere, including in some very crowded elevators on the ship.  On three day cruises it is common for folks not to check their luggage.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

I plan to get to the port about 1, and just stay put until the rooms open. I’m always nervous about being that 1 in whatever that gets their luggage lost. I’d just prefer to have my luggage with me. 

• Like 2

We've been carrying on for the last decade of cruises.  Using the escalator has never been a problem.  

Also, the scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport.  So if you do carry on for the flight (like we do), taking them on and off the ship is really easy.

We also get to the ship around 1pm, so that we can go almost directly to our cabin, unpack and get on with the vacation.

You will be fine.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

We've been carrying on for the last decade of cruises.  Using the escalator has never been a problem.  

Also, the scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport.  So if you do carry on for the flight (like we do), taking them on and off the ship is really easy.

We also get to the ship around 1pm, so that we can go almost directly to our cabin, unpack and get on with the vacation.

You will be fine.

Thank you! That really put me to ease. 

2 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

Thanks everyone!

I plan to get to the port about 1, and just stay put until the rooms open. I’m always nervous about being that 1 in whatever that gets their luggage lost. I’d just prefer to have my luggage with me. 

I just got off the symphony and I too was afraid my luggage would get lost but everything was very smooth at the miami terminal we even had our luggage at exactly 1o clock.

10 hours ago, LeeW said:

You must have one hand free to use the escalator.  If not, they will direct you to the elevator.  If you get to the port before about 2 you will be hauling your suitcases around everywhere, including in some very crowded elevators on the ship.  On three day cruises it is common for folks not to check their luggage.

Since when is it 2?

57 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Since when is it 2?

It was 2 a couple of weeks ago on Navigator but they were under a coast guard inspection. It didn't delay boarding but delayed access to cabins.

22 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

but it is rarely 2

We have never experienced having our room ready past 1:00 either, however, in the last year it happened to us twice.  Both times it was explained that it was because of Coast Guard inspections.  We were allowed to board but our rooms were ready after 2:15.

1 hour ago, SCruiseFam said:

Anybody going out of the port of Miami used a 28” size luggage? Or am I cutting it too close?

The long-side measurement is immaterial, but longer suitcases are usually wider and perhaps taller laid on their flat side. Carnival offers the following (the scanners themselves are owned by the Port Authority, but this is one cruiseline's advice): "16 inches in height or 24 inches in width".

I found an old thread where a CC'er said they had successfully carried on a hard-shell case that was 24" wide and 18" tall at P.Canaveral, P.Everglades, and Tampa -- "but it was a tight fit!"

So measure the OTHER dimensions of your case and decide from there.

Edited by crystalspin