Mardi Gras Part 2?

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

That is the 2nd class ship, not the Mardi Gras

The listing for 2019 lists the Panorama.  The next ship out should be the Mardi Gras.  The only listing for a Carnival ship in 2020 says that it is shifted to 2021.

2 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

The listing for 2019 lists the Panorama.  The next ship out should be the Mardi Gras.  The only listing for a Carnival ship in 2020 says that it is shifted to 2021.

There is a second Mardi Gras ship ordered.  I would be SHOCKED if the Mardi Gras slipped that much (almost a year).  

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival tried year round out of New York, it will not happen again, especially with a new ship.  Be happy with getting sailings out of New York on their newest ships.

Wait, when did they try this? And why would it fail, considering both NCL and RCI offer year-round sailings?

28 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Wait, when did they try this? And why would it fail, considering both NCL and RCI offer year-round sailings?

With the Splendor, about 5 years ago.  I never said fail, but in the winter months she sailed less than 1/2 full (with discounting).  Their itins for New York are limited and 2 COLD days going and coming certainly are head scratching material.  When you consider they can move a ship to warmer and sail full, it is a pretty easy decision.  It is not a competition between the lines, they choose to sail where the biggest profit is.  If a ship sailed full every week year round, it would happen.

Edited by jimbo5544

32 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is a second Mardi Gras ship ordered.  I would be SHOCKED if the Mardi Gras slipped that much (almost a year).  

The listing most definately makes it look like the Mardi Gras has been pushed to 2021, but as we've heard no news about this and they are still doing reservations for sailings, I doubt it was pushed.  I have the maiden voyage booked and I've not heard that it's been pushed.  Looking at the site, I don't see the European sailing listed, but I would assume because it's sold out.  My booking is still showing the same date, and the trans-atlantic sailing is still showing.

Having the City about 3hrs away, I wouldn't mind more options on Carnival. I'm sure it won't happen, the pier area has a lot of things going as it does. For the winter months, they may not sail full enough. A snowy day in the North East can shut down airports quick. Anyhow, bring on more fun, and more inaugural sailings! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ishap said:

The listing most definately makes it look like the Mardi Gras has been pushed to 2021, but as we've heard no news about this and they are still doing reservations for sailings, I doubt it was pushed.  I have the maiden voyage booked and I've not heard that it's been pushed.  Looking at the site, I don't see the European sailing listed, but I would assume because it's sold out.  My booking is still showing the same date, and the trans-atlantic sailing is still showing.

We are on the same voyage (maiden).   I will reach out to some brass friends at Carnival and ask them directly....

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are on the same voyage (maiden).   I will reach out to some brass friends at Carnival and ask them directly....

Cool.  It would be nice to hear from a source within Carnival.  Even if sold out, I'm surprised it doesn't show on the site...but then again I don't know if I've ever sailed a completely sold out sailing.

7 minutes ago, ishap said:

Cool.  It would be nice to hear from a source within Carnival.  Even if sold out, I'm surprised it doesn't show on the site...but then again I don't know if I've ever sailed a completely sold out sailing.

It would not show if sold out, not sure that tells us much.

11 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Carnival is all about $. That is kind of what irks me when it comes to them; there is always some restriction with everything. 

I am super confident that all the major cruise lines that are publicly traded are all about the money, they need to report profit to their shareholders. If you think for one second that NCL or RCI are not about the money, then you are mistaken. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Definitely a trend in the wrong direction in my book. When we cruised on Victory last month, the ship never felt crowded no matter where we were or what we were doing. On the other hand, when we were on Sunshine in February, every place on the ship always seemed crowded with the exception of the Havana Bar and the Thermal Suite.

My wife and I have 28 cruises on Carnival on 11 different ships. We both agree our three least favorite ships are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon.  It’s not like we think these ships are terrible, but these ships definitely feel a lot more crowded than other class of ships. We still prefer Dream, Spirit and Conquest class ships. 

Our least favorite is definitely the Sunshine.   Haven't been on Vista or Horizon, but we are booked Mardi Gras in April 2021.  Will see how that one is.  Our favorite ships are the Dream and Conquest classes as well.  Our next three cruises are on those before we do the one on the Mardi Gras.

In that report, the Hull number listed for "LNG III", 1396, is indeed the one assigned to the Mardi Gras.  So they don't have the wrong ship listed, AFAICT.

I find the phrasing of "obviously" a little odd.  The listing for Costa Smeralda ("LNG II") also states "Delivery obviously shifted to 2020".

A similar comment was made against the National Geographic Endurance.

I'm wondering if the report is "automatically assuming" the subsequent LNG ships are all delayed due to the (not huge) delay in the AIDANova ("LNG I")?

Also, it appears to me that the amem.at website is not an official source of info, just an industry site that collects and collates info as best they can.  For example, they offer up a variety of reports as free downloads, and one that caught my eye was about the fire on board the Carnival Splendor, from Dec 2010.  In the leading paragraph they state the following:

"The Carnival Splendor near-miss blaze had the potential of a big disaster as nearly 4500 passengers and crew have barely missed a catastrophe. This incident might affect cruising in the future and will most certainly put an end to mega cruise ships!"

Yep, complete end to mega ships.  So...while I appreciate the possible source of info, I'm not going to take it at face value just yet.

Wherever the port is, and whatever it’s called (although I do like @jbethel11‘s idea of the Festivale), I hope it looks like the Mardi Gras with the dark hull.  I appreciate the luxury ocean liner look like the Disney ships.  And I think Carnival needs something aesthetically pleasing to set it apart other than the whale tail.  

Personally, and I have no professional or technical knowledge on this, but I think they need three ships of this class: one in Florida, one in the north (NYC), and one in the west coast. You shouldn’t have to travel across the country to sail this class of ship IMHO. Now if they’d just freshen up the itineraries...

• Like 1

Oh, and since the future cruise order reference site is Austrian, I assume much of their original work is done in the German language, and perhaps "obviously" is not the best translation - going by Google translate, it could be "apparently" instead, as an example.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I am super confident that all the major cruise lines that are publicly traded are all about the money, they need to report profit to their shareholders. If you think for one second that NCL or RCI are not about the money, then you are mistaken. 

As you state all publicly traded companies are about stock holder equity and returns.  The only one I can think of that might be true (I could google it but I am to lazy) is MSC, which I believe (but not positive) may be privately held by the owner of the largest container overseas shipper in the world.

1 hour ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

Wherever the port is, and whatever it’s called (although I do like @jbethel11‘s idea of the Festivale), I hope it looks like the Mardi Gras with the dark hull.  I appreciate the luxury ocean liner look like the Disney ships.  And I think Carnival needs something aesthetically pleasing to set it apart other than the whale tail.  

Personally, and I have no professional or technical knowledge on this, but I think they need three ships of this class: one in Florida, one in the north (NYC), and one in the west coast. You shouldn’t have to travel across the country to sail this class of ship IMHO. Now if they’d just freshen up the itineraries...

Someone like Jimbo who works in the industry can address this better than I can, but I don’t think a port in the North or West could fill a ship this large year round.  I know from talking to officers on ships that putting Panorama in Long Beach was a big step for Carnival, because there was concern a ship that large may not consistently sell out (or close to it) every cruise. On one week cruises, there are far fewer ports ships can reach from the west coast than ships sailing in the Caribbean. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Someone like Jimbo who works in the industry can address this better than I can, but I don’t think a port in the North or West could fill a ship this large year round.  I know from talking to officers on ships that putting Panorama in Long Beach was a big step for Carnival, because there was concern a ship that large may not consistently sell out (or close to it) every cruise. On one week cruises, there are far fewer ports ships can reach from the west coast than ships sailing in the Caribbean. 

Not sure I know any more than others, but I can tell you if it sold year round they would have ship year round (in New York).   You are also correct they took a risk putting a brand new ship in Long Beach.  They tried it with the Splendor years but it failed (according to locals due to economy at the time).  Limited itineraries are something to be concerned with, I wish they went both north and south on the Panorama, but it is what it is. 

Edited by jimbo5544

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

That is the 2nd class ship, not the Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras 14 night Sep9 2020 London -NY, 15 night Sep 30 2020 NY to Port Canaveral. Regular cruises out of Port Canaveral start with an 8 night Oct 8 2020. No changes at this time.

As for the size of the ship vs the guests. We shall see how that works out?

8 hours ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

I hope it looks like the Mardi Gras with the dark hull.  I appreciate the luxury ocean liner look like the Disney ships.  And I think Carnival needs something aesthetically pleasing to set it apart other than the whale tail.  

Carnival paints their ships' hulls white because of money. White reflects the most light away from the hull, allowing it to save on AC operation costs. Black, on the other hand, reflects the least amount of light, which is one reason as to why luxury ships have darker hull colors and cost more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Mardi Gras 14 night Sep9 2020 London -NY, 15 night Sep 30 2020 NY to Port Canaveral. Regular cruises out of Port Canaveral start with an 8 night Oct 8 2020. No changes at this time.

As for the size of the ship vs the guests. We shall see how that works out?

Don't forget a 6-day cruise to Canada from New York. So the Mardi Gras will be in New York twice, proving it can handle it as a homeport!

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Carnival paints their ships' hulls white because of money. White reflects the most light away from the hull, allowing it to save on AC operation costs. Black, on the other hand, reflects the least amount of light, which is one reason as to why luxury ships have darker hull colors and cost more. 

Celebrity Equinox Complete hull is now Dark Blue