Cafe al Bacio without a drinks package

4Mast

Café al Bacio offers some good pastries etc as well as serving coffees and the like.   I believe these offerings are 'free' to those with a drinks package (I do like to grab a snack when ordering a drink)  but what happens if you do not have a drinks package?    Do you pay for the drink and pay for  a pastry?  If so is there an indication of prices available?

Yes, as warmwinds has said, the patisserie items are there for anyone to choose without cost.  However, I will say that it is not widely advertised and many think that you can only select a pastry/cookie when having a coffee or other hot/cold drink that Cafe al Bacio offers.  We always stopped by on our way back from breakfast to pick up a couple of cookies each for later in the morning.. The staff in CAB were lovely.

Edited by Toftwood

It’s not advertised at all!!  I can understand why people don’t know they are free.  You might think the absence of prices in the case would be a clue, but I can understand people thinking they were complimentary only with a beverage purchase.  You can definitely get anything to go or eat it there.

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

The pastries etc are free to all.  Not tied to a beverage package.  This may not be current pricing but gives you an idea.

https://www.thepreismans.com/med_silhouette_menus.htm

Current prices in post #127 of MR_T's Reflection March 11th 2019 - Live! 🍸😎 thread:

Also, most of the menu pages state the following:

Please enjoy our complimentary pastries & sweets

A18% service charge is automatically added to your check

9 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

Current prices in post #127 of MR_T's Reflection March 11th 2019 - Live! 🍸😎 thread:

Also, most of the menu pages state the following:

Please enjoy our complimentary pastries & sweets

A18% service charge is automatically added to your check

The service charge mentioned is only applied to the beverages.  And I think it’s now 20%.  The pastries remain (for now!) free.

4 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Isn't there a charge for gelato?  Or is that not considered part of Bacio??

The cakes & other pastries there are usually better than any of the desserts & snacks in the MDR or buffet.  

Yes, there is a charge for gelato.  Elite and above get a free scoop.

Many of the  cakes and pastries are often the same as found at the buffet.  That has been our experience on S-class ships.

7 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Isn't there a charge for gelato?  Or is that not considered part of Bacio??

The cakes & other pastries there are usually better than any of the desserts & snacks in the MDR or buffet.  

Note that you can get an “Affogato” - espresso and chocolate syrup over a scoop of gelato - included with the beverage package. No idea whether a request to have one without the espresso and syrup would be honored.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keesar said:

Many of the  cakes and pastries are often the same as found at the buffet.  That has been our experience on S-class ships.

Interesting, we've almost never found them to be the same … we've been on Silhouette & Eclipse several times each.  I have no idea what class ship they are …

Regardless we always get the free scoop of gelato.  Or rather, I get two, since Mr Chew cannot handle the sugar content!  So I have to step up and take one for the team.  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Not my experience.  Desserts at al Bacio were above and beyond what we got in the MDR/Buffet.  There has only been one cruise/one pastry chef where he left out all the sugar from the pastries.  They were horrible.  🍷

Edited by Wine-O
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keesar said:

The only thing the same are the cookies.. We frequent this venue and are quite familiar with the tasteless desserts at the buffet

2 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

Interesting, we've almost never found them to be the same … we've been on Silhouette & Eclipse several times each.  I have no idea what class ship they are …

Regardless we always get the free scoop of gelato.  Or rather, I get two, since Mr Chew cannot handle the sugar content!  So I have to step up and take one for the team.  

Silhouette and Eclipse are Solstice Class ships.  And I agree with everyone who says the cakes etc at Cafe al Bacio are definitely a cut above the Buffet and the MDR.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gold1953 said:

The only thing the same are the cookies.. We frequent this venue and are quite familiar with the tasteless desserts at the buffet

On our cruises,  the items that were available at both the Cafe and Buffet were Berliners, eclairs, creme puffs, cakes. and cookies.  To me, they tasted the same --probably because they all came from the same kitchen.   

The best cakes have been the ones served on Equinox this season.  Very good quality.  I went back for seconds.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:05 PM, artvlay said:

Can you get just a plain cup of decaf tetley tea? What is that charge? 

Get that for free in the buffet 24 hours a day (but I can’t guarantee it’ll be Tetley)

On 6/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, artvlay said:

Can you get just a plain cup of decaf tetley tea? What is that charge? 

I would bring your own tea bags if you want to ensure you have decaf/tetley.  Doesn't take up much room in your luggage.  🍷