Unlimited Dining Package - Tips / Gratuity?

I'm considering the the Unlimited Dining Package. In the past when I've attended a single specialty dining, I was always under the impression I needed to tip (like 15 to 20 percent). I was wondering how this worked with the unlimited package. Royal told me there is no need to tip with this package and that everything is included. Is that the case? Do those of you who have had this package not leave gratuity? I do understand that if there's excellent service one could certainly tip, but is it expected? Thanks.

A service charge is included when you pay for the package. There is no "need" to tip additionally. However, free will being what it is, do as you please. 

From the fine print "Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service."

41 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

I'm considering the the Unlimited Dining Package. In the past when I've attended a single specialty dining, I was always under the impression I needed to tip (like 15 to 20 percent). I was wondering how this worked with the unlimited package. Royal told me there is no need to tip with this package and that everything is included. Is that the case? Do those of you who have had this package not leave gratuity? I do understand that if there's excellent service one could certainly tip, but is it expected? Thanks.

Even when dining at a single specialty restaurant with no pkg., there is no reason to tip  unless you want to.  A portion of the fee you pay is the service charge/tip.  We do usually tip, but not 15 to 20 %. - Maybe $10 or a little more depending.  🙂

We were told by a waiter in Jamie's that a service charge is included. The waiter only receives about $2.00 from the service charge and about $4.00 goes into the ship pool. Any thing left by the guest is considered a tip and they get to keep the full amount. We usually leave a $10 added tip for the meal. 

11 minutes ago, marci22 said:

In my experience, most times the server will point out the line for additional gratuity when they deliver the bill. So technically not necessary, but expected...maybe.

Many customer facing businesses have defaulted to adding that tip line to their receipts - doesn't mean anything needs to be put there.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Many customer facing businesses have defaulted to adding that tip line to their receipts - doesn't mean anything needs to be put there.

In my experience the servers often mention it as they are leaving the bill. One was particularly pushy about it.

We've always tipped our waiters in the specialty restaurants and we've actually had a few waiters return our cash with the reminder that their tip was "included" in the price of our meal.  We had one waiter say to us: "Why would you want to pay twice for the same service?"  We were amazed...

I had the meal package and did not tip extra.  I don't ask people how much they make or how many tips they get.  Non of my business. RCCL says that 18% is included in the price, or it is added on when purchased.  As far as I care, I paid 18%.  I also prepay my regular tips.  I don't know how those are distributed, and with UDP on top of that, the service crew, however the tips are distributed, received my tips. That's in their contract with RCCL. 

There are occasions where I may tip extra, but it is not the norm.  Use your judgement.  IF you normally tip more than 18% at home, than continue on the ship that trend. 

• Like 4

We had it on Allure and loved it, especially after seeing the crazy lines at Windjammer and Solarium and people loading plates a foot high.

We left $5-10 to our server after lunch and dinner.  $175 a person was a deal !!!  If you are thinking about it, do it !

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I had the meal package and did not tip extra.  I don't ask people how much they make or how many tips they get.  Non of my business. RCCL says that 18% is included in the price, or it is added on when purchased.  As far as I care, I paid 18%.  I also prepay my regular tips.  I don't know how those are distributed, and with UDP on top of that, the service crew, however the tips are distributed, received my tips. That's in their contract with RCCL. 

There are occasions where I may tip extra, but it is not the norm.  Use your judgement.  IF you normally tip more than 18% at home, than continue on the ship that trend. 

I fully honor your decision not to tip extra.  That is 100% your choice.

HOWEVER...………………..

RC does NOT say that "18% is included in the price".  They say that "service charge is included".  There is a difference.  Probably a big difference.

1 minute ago, woneill63 said:

Here's my question, if you never enter the main dining room during your cruise, do you tip them ?  Or take it off your room charge ?

In that case, the tips that would have normally gone to the MDR wait staff will go to the crewmembers working at Windjammer (and possibly those working other "free" venues).

7 minutes ago, woneill63 said:

Here's my question, if you never enter the main dining room during your cruise, do you tip them ?  Or take it off your room charge ?

I never removed prepaid tips, because I just look at it as part of the trip, just like paying tips upfront on meal packages.  It's all part of the pulled tips, and it's RCCL's and Employees contract/business that deals with it. 

• Like 2