Observations from the Equinox Retreat

rattanchair

On 7/1/2019 at 2:54 PM, Cruiseluv19 said:

Thanks for all the pictures and reviews.  I would be very interested in your comparison of all three.  We do some sight seeing but we can only travel during the fall (alas, work gets in the way) and we have been to most ports during those months, especially with Celebrity.  Thus we enjoy the ship more and have started booking suites since we aren't spending any money on excursions or in the ports.  We would be willing to try another cruise line but are hesitant as we have soooo enjoyed Celebrity.

Thanks again.

Dear Cru,  Please do not ever think that work ever gets in the way. 'Work' is such an unpleasant word. We can only cruise for 7 days at a time. It gets terribly boring and repetitive. Having done so many back to back to back 6 week cruises you will find there is more to life. DW is still teaching after 43 years and I am still providing my clients. They all still need us. Work is not punishment , it is a gift. We break up our cruises to those times of the year to accommodate them. Sure we pay premium cruise prices. Celebrity is one of our top picks, but do not discount MSC Yacht Club. RCCL suite class is third in ranking, due to NSPP ( non-suite paying pinnacles), which dilute your suite experience. I am only considering those cruise lines that sail out and return to South Florida ports. NCL Haven is so worth a try, but do not expect to eat in the Haven Restaurant every meal, it never changes ; breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You will quickly find that once you book a suite, it will be terribly hard to go back to a lower category. You will be permanently spoiled. Godspeed !

• Like 2

We have been sailing on Celebrity for many years, most recently on the Equinox this past March. We are booked for two cruises in 2020 in a Royal suite but I do not see any literature that says it still includes specialty dining, does anyone know if the new revolutionized ships still include this as a perk? 

1 hour ago, Zoey1 said:

We have been sailing on Celebrity for many years, most recently on the Equinox this past March. We are booked for two cruises in 2020 in a Royal suite but I do not see any literature that says it still includes specialty dining, does anyone know if the new revolutionized ships still include this as a perk? 

Why would it be different from before?  It's still a royal suite which has certain amenities attached to it, one of which is unlimited specialty restaurant dining.  And apparently the suites didn't get upgraded on the Equinox, so I can't think why you think that the things that attach to a RS booking would change.

8 hours ago, Zoey1 said:

We are booked in a Royal suite and yes it does still include specialty unlimited dining- our shoreside concierge made all of our reservations- but who knows what next year will bring- but I "assume" you would be locked in if you booked now.

Enjoy- 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:42 AM, chemmo said:

Anyone know if Elite/Elite Plus still get one free visit to Persian Gardens now Equinox has been Revolutionised? 

Also what are the toiletries like in the suites?

Sorry if this has been answered, but yes you still have access on a port day for Elite and Elite Plus. I was on Equinox June 9 and used it while we pulled into San Juan. 

1 hour ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Sorry if this has been answered, but yes you still have access on a port day for Elite and Elite Plus. I was on Equinox June 9 and used it while we pulled into San Juan. 

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know!

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We are booked in a Royal suite and yes it does still include specialty unlimited dining- our shoreside concierge made all of our reservations- but who knows what next year will bring- but I "assume" you would be locked in if you booked now.

Enjoy- 

If they take that amenity away, they're going to have a hell of a time selling those suites at the prices they charge.  People are looking for more bang for their buck, not less.  And regular RS cruisers are accustomed to that level of amenities.  Just sayin'.  It would definitely not be in Celebrity's best interest to monkey with the amenities which attach to royal suites and the penthouses.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If they take that amenity away, they're going to have a hell of a time selling those suites at the prices they charge.  People are looking for more bang for their buck, not less.  And regular RS cruisers are accustomed to that level of amenities.  Just sayin'.  It would definitely not be in Celebrity's best interest to monkey with the amenities which attach to royal suites and the penthouses.

I agree!  

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, rattanchair said:

New policy allows suite guests to board the ship and go directly to their cabins to obtain their key cards and leave their carry-on bags in their cabins. Cabins can be locked, but will not be officially cleaned till 1:00.

LOL!!  My wife and I just open the fire door and stroll back to our cabin and drop our stuff.  As long as you are polite and keep moving no one will bother you.  We had an aft cabin so quite a long walk.  Cabin steward came out and cautioned us on leaving valuables, but we just had some garment bags and a carry on with replaceable stuff in it.

22 minutes ago, chichi6365 said:

LOL!!  My wife and I just open the fire door and stroll back to our cabin and drop our stuff.  As long as you are polite and keep moving no one will bother you.  We had an aft cabin so quite a long walk.  Cabin steward came out and cautioned us on leaving valuables, but we just had some garment bags and a carry on with replaceable stuff in it.

A word of caution....one time DH dropped off our carry on briefcase in cabin when first boarded and went to lunch.  When we came back it was gone.  The cabin stewart thought it belonged to prior cruise and had sent to customs!  It was quite an ordeal to get back and had important personal items like all our medicines in it.  Thankfully, they did find it and return it to our cabin!

I would think with the new policy of your being required to go to your cabin to collect your Sea Pass cards that the stewards will anticipate that you may also leave some carry-on luggage in the cabin.  I personally will put passports, wallets, etc. in the safe.  I guess the carry-ons in the closet and perhaps a note on top stating they are for the current cruise of xx/xx/xxxx date.

22 minutes ago, Cruiseluv19 said:

A word of caution....one time DH dropped off our carry on briefcase in cabin when first boarded and went to lunch.  When we came back it was gone.  The cabin stewart thought it belonged to prior cruise and had sent to customs!  It was quite an ordeal to get back and had important personal items like all our medicines in it.  Thankfully, they did find it and return it to our cabin!

Dear Cru,  Very good point !  I will be sure to tag all our future carry-on luggage with luggage tags we are given by the cruise line for our specific cruise and date. The luggage tags we are given to get off the ship are a different color depending on suites or flights, than the luggage tags we use to board which are generally black and white photo copies. Stewards should be able to differentiate on day of embarkation. Very good point! Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another observation has come back to me as I muse about the Luminae experience. This is just for those epicureans going on board. One morning breakfast I ordered a toasted English muffin with jelly. A tray of 3 jellies, orange, blueberry and strawberry will be presented with 3 small spoons. These jellies are specially made in their kitchen by taking the fruits,boiling, reducing and straining. Of course I tried all three. I was simply giddy over the fact that the strawberry had absolutely no seeds. A must for some of us with diverticulosis (itis). Of course I ordered the same tray the following morning. Bon appetit." Give me the luxuries in life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright.

Edited by rattanchair
add a quote
  • Like 1

May I please give you all another observation after several weeks reflection on the Haven verses the Retreat, June 9 and June 22. There is no priority boarding on NCL in ports of call, while Celebrity provides a second gangway for returning guests. NCL concierge can not promise a date or specific time for specialty dining (which is a must since the Haven dining menu is  never changing). Never tried specialty dining on Celebrity since Luminae and MDR menus are allowed in Luminae and vary daily. Quality of food was  excellent in Haven and Luminae. Celebrity edges out NCL in dining. NCL did not have enough wait staff to accommodate the number of guests on board. NCL closed Waterfront Moderno dining on the most perfect outdoor dining night of the cruise due to not enough help. First NCL forces Haven guests to eat at specialty venues and then does not provide enough staff to accommodate them.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, Zoey1 said:

Here is the latest from the Celebrity website concerning suite amenities. 

DA50DDE0-ADC3-41C7-B5C8-58B438F405C8.png

35213E72-E4FF-4552-810E-8637E8C79174.png

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, rattanchair said:

Spoke to Cruise Director, Martin, while passing in the hallway on the fine job he did the night before at the Gatsby Party. Capt. Kate did  'The Charleston' on the staircase landing with the spot light focused right on her for all to witness. Not only is she the 'Master' of the Equinox she is also an exceptional entertainer. Martin also told us that the basketball court will be replaced next dry dock. Dry docks normally occur every 7 to 8 years, but in the case of Equinox they have another dry dock scheduled for 2021. When the Retreat will get a pool and hot tubs.

I have enjoyed your commentary as I followed along learning about the Equinox's enhancements through your eyes.

I am booked on the Equinox for a 12 night March 13th 2021 sailing.  I was surprised to read that Martin, the Cruise Director, said there is a another refit so soon in 2021.  If that were to happen it would mean the Equinox would have to go out of service again and cancel a cruise.  The CD is a good source for information but at the moment Celebrity and my TA are assuring me that they do not see any time blocked out for any type of drydock in 2021.  Do you think possibly Martin was merely speculating or does he know something?  I am particularly sensitive to a possible cancellation because in the space of six months this year Celebrity canceled my Silhouette cruise 2 times due to drydock related issues - 1st cancellation was because X needed more days to complete the Revolution.  The 2nd cancellation was caused by to the Oasis crane accident in the Grand Bahamas which meant the Silhouette had to go to Cadiz, Spain instead.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Following Observations from the Breakaway Haven.

Mary

4 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

I have enjoyed your commentary as I followed along learning about the Equinox's enhancements through your eyes.

I am booked on the Equinox for a 12 night March 13th 2021 sailing.  I was surprised to read that Martin, the Cruise Director, said there is a another refit so soon in 2021.  If that were to happen it would mean the Equinox would have to go out of service again and cancel a cruise.  The CD is a good source for information but at the moment Celebrity and my TA are assuring me that they do not see any time blocked out for any type of drydock in 2021.  Do you think possibly Martin was merely speculating or does he know something?  I am particularly sensitive to a possible cancellation because in the space of six months this year Celebrity canceled my Silhouette cruise 2 times due to drydock related issues - 1st cancellation was because X needed more days to complete the Revolution.  The 2nd cancellation was caused by to the Oasis crane accident in the Grand Bahamas which meant the Silhouette had to go to Cadiz, Spain instead.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Following Observations from the Breakaway Haven.

Mary

Dear Mary,  To elaborate on our quick chat with Martin.  He stated that everything was ready for the pool and hot tubs for the Retreat on the last drydock in the Bahamas? But since they went to Spain they left it for 2021, not transporting the product to Spain. He seemed excited to tell us this being booked in a suite and our being booked again in a CS for the 4th of July 2020 on the Equinox again. Of course without a pool or hot tubs, but no matter to us; and mentioned we were on in March before the Revolution. He did not exactly know when in 2021.

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Mary,  To elaborate on our quick chat with Martin.  He stated that everything was ready for the pool and hot tubs for the Retreat on the last drydock in the Bahamas? But since they went to Spain they left it for 2021, not transporting the product to Spain. He seemed excited to tell us this being booked in a suite and our being booked again in a CS for the 4th of July 2020 on the Equinox again. Of course without a pool or hot tubs, but no matter to us; and mentioned we were on in March before the Revolution. He did not exactly know when in 2021.

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply.   I sent this info to my TA.

Mary

On 6/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Right but if the cruise is not offering those "Discounts" then I don't see a way to book a suite without perks.  For example:

image.thumb.png.d3b3347e6b1192cb2cbd02c0db4a07e7.png

You can book Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites without perks. Royal Suites and above include all 4 perks as part of the fare.

37 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

You can book Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites without perks. Royal Suites and above include all 4 perks as part of the fare.

No. Only internet and drink package.  Not tips and onboard credit.

My point was that if there is no Resident or Senior or Xciting deal being offered I don't believe there is a way to book a suite at the reduced price with no perks.   Not that the reduced price is really reduced much especially since it's also a non-refundable fare.

When I look at a balcony cabin I'm offered 2 choices "Sail Best Rate" and "Sail Best Value".  When I look at a suite there are no options.

Edited by wrk2cruise

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

My point was that if there is no Resident or Senior or Xciting deal being offered I don't believe there is a way to book a suite at the reduced price with no perks.   Not that the reduced price is really reduced much especially since it's also a non-refundable fare.

When I look at a balcony cabin I'm offered 2 choices "Sail Best Rate" and "Sail Best Value".  When I look at a suite there are no options.

Well, when I looked at a SS on my recent last-minute purchase, there were two options:  take my resident rate with no "perks" or pay almost $1,000 for two perks.  Guess which one I took.

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

But when you add back in the value of the 4 perks- IMO not worth the lower rate.  

???  I did not value 2 perks enough to pay $1,000 for them.  Much cheaper to do pay as I go.  The problem with the "perks" is that they charge you for 2 people for each one even if you're sailing solo.  Total ripoff.

• Like 2