Observations from the Equinox Retreat

rattanchair

12 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

You’re welcome! Happy to have been a help. Which vendors did you use that I had mentioned?

You can send messages to each other privately now on Cruise Critic by visiting each other's profile page. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Chem, You are correct. Daniel Boulud has shown up at the bottom of the Luminae menu the last two nights. Did not change from one night from the next, though the Luminae part did change. It appears so far that DB menu will be like a 'classics menu'  like that found on the MDR menu. There were only three choices, I will concentrate more closely but not tonight. Le petite chef experience is tonight. Just glad I can be of some help.

Sincere thanks! Just what we wanted to know. If you do get chance could you let me know what the DB options are? Don’t worry if you can’t.

Re no ‘make up my room signs’. Just let your attendant know you will put the ‘Do not disturb’ sign on and take it off in the morning as you go for breakfast.

Hope you enjoyed Le Petit Chef,

Have a fantastic cruise!

20 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear 39,  DW and I were just commenting to each other about how much more refined the area has been revolutionized. The sports channels were still being displayed but less seating, much more high class.

I might be in the minority being sad to hear this area is more 'high class', it already felt a little disjointed but this is not the direction I would have liked to see it change 😞.  I think I am fitting in less and less on Celebrity as they seem to be removing any hints of rustic comfy gathering areas they may have had ... heaven forbid they have TVs with sports on them.  Oh and I am not a sports lover, seldom watch games, but I welcome an area that would be more pub style so that there is a little something for everyone.  It feels like Celebrity is scared to go in that direction and my only thoughts are that they perhaps assume that one can't have class and still enjoy a pub????

Guess I shall form my own opinions soon but already thinking it might be time to try something new.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, misterkevin said:

You can send messages to each other privately now on Cruise Critic by visiting each other's profile page.

The messaging function can only be used by administrators/moderators to contact you. It's not available to users.

Observations from Celebrity Equinox in San Juan.  Yesterday one could not help but notice a huge presence of HomeLand Security agents all dressed in black, vested and armed along with Customs and Border Patrol agents at the pier and only at the pier. Our butler told us it was because Celebrity had a huge order of mattresses being delivered and they came on board with drug sniffing dogs to check the incoming and out going furniture.  He said it is not unheard of there existing smuggling in this fashion.
    Dinner in Qsine last night was ‘Le petite Chef’. I  will describe it as a ‘dinner in a show’. Our white table is the movie screen upon which 2 1/2 “ cartoon characters perform their signature dish on the table into your dish and at the precise moment your server places the real dish on top of the animated one. The entire process is timed and choreographed and accompanied by a female French vocalist singing French favorites.  The truffled ravioli is great. The show is centered upon the main menu, but an alternate menu is available. Every 3-4  days the main menu changes. The real food is prepared by the chefs in Murano.

1 minute ago, rattanchair said:

Just learned this week that although Luminae will continue to close for lunch port days; the new Retreat Sun Deck will be open for suite guests for lunch port days and sea days.

That is really good news for us!

Our next cruise is about enjoying the ship rather than the ports so I am sure we will utilise this!

Here are some photos of the pigs that other posters are so giddy about that have sailed on the Edge, on the Equinox. Also a picture of the new balcony table. The foot stool and chair need new cushions, which  I surmise are yet to come.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 2:27 AM, chemmo said:

Sincere thanks! Just what we wanted to know. If you do get chance could you let me know what the DB options are? Don’t worry if you can’t.

Re no ‘make up my room signs’. Just let your attendant know you will put the ‘Do not disturb’ sign on and take it off in the morning as you go for breakfast.

Hope you enjoyed Le Petit Chef,

Have a fantastic cruise!

Dear Chem,  Last night I examined the Luminae menu a little more closely for you.  You were right. There is only one DB signature option at the bottom of the menu. It has been the same every evening so far, chilled carrot & ginger veloute (prawn/lime/cilantro); Moroccan chicken tagine with saffron couc cous (turnip/cauliflower/lemon/olives); rasberry pistachio vacherin (vanilla cream).  Qsine has the 'Le petite chef' main menu and show of filet mignon, for four nights and the next three nights the dinner and show feature lobster. For all your dining pleasures. Bon apetit !

Thanks for your reports.  Loved hearing that we can get lunch on port days!  I see the baby chairs that no adults can fit in are still in Michael's.  And I think it's a shame that they eliminated the concierge's desk and the chair for someone to sit and work with him/her.  Sailing in August.

• Like 1

Currently on Summit and there has been a bit of complaining regarding drinks.    Drinks are free for Suite Guests in the Retreat Lounge but at the Sundeck you have to pay for your drinks or use your package if you have one.    I guess with the new pricing you can book a suite with no perks.   

Maybe others can indicate if this is the same on other ships.

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Currently on Summit and there has been a bit of complaining regarding drinks.    Drinks are free for Suite Guests in the Retreat Lounge but at the Sundeck you have to pay for your drinks or use your package if you have one.    I guess with the new pricing you can book a suite with no perks.   

Drinks are only FREE in MC but not in Luminae or Retreat Sundeck if you don't have drink package.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have not found a way to book a suite without perks except for the old way of using a senior/resident/Xciting deal rate.  If none of those are being offered I'm not being offered the no perks non-refundable deposit option as I was expecting.  Anybody know how to do this?

In my other experimentation with non-suite rates I've been finding the upcharge between the no-perks nrb and the 2 perks refundable to be much less than it typically was in the past. 

Edited by wrk2cruise

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I have not found a way to book a suite without perks except for the old way of using a senior/resident/Xciting deal rate.  If none of those are being offered I'm not being offered the no perks non-refundable deposit option as I was expecting.  Anybody know how to do this?

In my other experimentation with non-suite rates I've been finding the upcharge between the no-perks nrb and the 2 perks refundable to be much less than it typically was in the past. 

I just booked a suite with a resident rate and no perks.  The upcharge for 2 perks was ludicrous.  $980!  Thanks, I'll pay as I go for that rate.  The stupid thing is you're paying for two sets of perks.  I guess that's OK if there are two of you, but I'm sailing solo.  Celebrity should figure that out.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don’t know why they are complaining.  It is no different then it was before, you get complimentary drinks in Micheal’s or now renamed the Retreat lounge.  Luminae is for suite guests only and you don’t get complimentary drinks there either, you pay for them by having a drink package or ala carte.  Since they added a designated special sunny area reserved for suite guests why would they think that drinks would be complimentary there?  

With that line of thinking they should also give free drinks in the theater in  their reserved section or in their suite.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is the same policy as pre-revolution. People can book suites via exciting deals or other special deals with no perks, just the suite with access to what was then Michael's and Luminae. 

4 hours ago, miched said:

I don’t know why they are complaining.  It is no different then it was before, you get complimentary drinks in Micheal’s or now renamed the Retreat lounge.  Luminae is for suite guests only and you don’t get complimentary drinks there either, you pay for them by having a drink package or ala carte.  Since they added a designated special sunny area reserved for suite guests why would they think that drinks would be complimentary there?  

With that line of thinking they should also give free drinks in the theater in  their reserved section or in their suite.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well having the name "Retreat Sun Deck".

1 hour ago, kathynorth said:

This is the same policy as pre-revolution. People can book suites via exciting deals or other special deals with no perks, just the suite with access to what was then Michael's and Luminae. 

Right but if the cruise is not offering those "Discounts" then I don't see a way to book a suite without perks.  For example:

image.thumb.png.d3b3347e6b1192cb2cbd02c0db4a07e7.png

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

By the way, I've never been asked for my card in Luminae.  Perhaps they know what suite you're in or whether or not you have a drink package.

Exactly my last two experiences in Luminae. The first night, I attempted to hand my card to the sommelier. . On both cruises, they declined to take it, saying we have the necessary information on file.

54 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

By the way, I've never been asked for my card in Luminae.  Perhaps they know what suite you're in or whether or not you have a drink package.

The first few times we go to Luminae on each cruise, we have been asked for our cabin number.

Edited by hrhdhd

13 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Chem,  Last night I examined the Luminae menu a little more closely for you.  You were right. There is only one DB signature option at the bottom of the menu. It has been the same every evening so far, chilled carrot & ginger veloute (prawn/lime/cilantro); Moroccan chicken tagine with saffron couc cous (turnip/cauliflower/lemon/olives); rasberry pistachio vacherin (vanilla cream).  Qsine has the 'Le petite chef' main menu and show of filet mignon, for four nights and the next three nights the dinner and show feature lobster. For all your dining pleasures. Bon apetit !

Thanks, that is exactly what we wanted to know re Luminae! Our suite comes with included speciality dining so we only dine occasionally in Luminae, it looks like we can visit any night we want to try the DB option.

When we visited Le Petit Chef on Reflection there was only one menu/show which had a wonderful bouillabaisse...We will have to decide which show to do or just do both!

So kind of you to take time out from your cruise to find  things out for us...