Bermuda cruise length

Anastasia13

Hello fellow cruisers,

I have a  dilemma selecting cruise to book, so want to seek advice from experienced cruisers.

Ideally I want a cruise of decent length 5-6 days on my milestone birthday.

Will be traveling with a 1.5 year old baby in September.

My primary dilemma is Bermuda 4 or 6 nights.

The major pro of 4 night is  that it lands is on my actual birthday.

The downside it’s only 2 full days in the ocean, and 1 not even full day in Bermuda (8am-4pm).

I’ve been to Bermuda before and kind how to get around. Distances and travel times are relatively long,  may only be able to do visit 1 destination in a day. Would be a bummer if it rains.

6 nights seems attractive because of additional 2 days of cruise vacation.

It’s  extra days at Bermuda (arriving evening, staying for another full day, and departing afternoon on 3rd day).

The downside is that departure is a couple days past my actual BD.

Price is not much different than 4 night. 

There is also a longer cruise option for Canada/New England (8-9 nights), which I  consider less. 

Dates are good, but concerned it may be too much commitment for the first time with infant.

Weather would be way cooler, which may not be as enjoyable on ship and shore. 

Price is of course more steep because of longer length. 

Have options to sail from NYC or Bayonne.

Prefer not to fly to other ports to avoid extra hassle with the baby. Also concerned about flight disruptions/cancellations due to potential weather issues like hurricanes which are common this time of year.

I’ve been on 5-night cruises before to Mexico and Bermuda and enjoyed every moment of it.

What would you recommend?

Edited by Anastasia13

While I do like cruises on my birthday, I would perfer a couple of extra days in Bermuda, what ships are these cruises on? Might pick 4 if I could get a suite. Suite would be a great way to celebrate a birthday.

I'll also recommend the longer cruise. 

The only downside is missing the actual birthday. We did our first cruise for our 25th anniversary, and though it would have been nice to actually be on the cruise on that day (as we were for some other anniversary cruises), we ended up going the next week. The next week was much better for us for several reasons. And it in no way spoiled having our 25th anniversary!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, George C said:

While I do like cruises on my birthday, I would perfer a couple of extra days in Bermuda, what ships are these cruises on? Might pick 4 if I could get a suite. Suite would be a great way to celebrate a birthday.

both cruises are on Carnival Sunrise, which is ex-Carnival Triumph that we have been on before to Mexico.

It was fine, although smaller and a little less fancy than Anthem of the Seas by Royal Caribbean. 

Ship was just totally renovated this year and got renamed. Should be better than before. 

I was thinking ocean view or balcony. What are benefits of the suite?

In the past there was so much to do on the ship, we practically only came to the room to sleep at night. 

With baby probably will have to spend a couple more hours due to midday nap time. 

Suite benefits depends on ship and cruise line, celebrity is my favorite, you get a suite restaurant which is great way better than mdr and even better than most specialty restaurants, also suite lounge with free drinks all day and night and concierge to help you also butler. Rccl suite perks are good bigger ships have suite restaurant and ships have lounge but only free drinks for a few hours each night, of course cabins are also bigger and nicer. 

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply!

Had no idea about extras provided by suite.

For now don’t think we really need a suite, as our travel party would be pretty small – just I, my husband, and baby.

To remain responsible parent, probably wouldn’t risk having more than couple drinks.

But for future cruises with grown up kid or extra family, suite seems more suitable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Minimum 7 nights !

Only a  day in Bermuda is not worth crossing the Gulf Stream twice .

I would personally love 7 nights, although 5 seemed quite adequate before.

Unfortunately from nearby ports 6 night is the longest offered.

Majority of my doubts  arise from anxiety of sailing with a small toddler child, which have never done before.

Not sure how the little one will feel on the ship, or how much baby care routing will interfere with  onboard activities. There is no daycare available for our current age, and afraid we all may get tired too soon.

Six days in a balcony if you can afford it. Six days is a short cruise to most on this board.

Having a toddling-baby will eat up some of your time -- six days may seem like four, as far as time to experience the ship as well as the port. The longer time in Bermuda is the real clincher. 

Balcony is bc of the extra times you will be in the cabin due to the naps. Even if you are not out ON the balcony, a balcony room is just so much more pleasant, with the big "window", more light, and usually nicer furniture arrangement.

I'd also opt for the longer Bermuda cruise in a balcony cabin. Being able to relax on the balcony while the child is sleeping (whether it's a nap or in the evening) would be much more pleasant than having to be oh so quiet in an OV cabin.

Is Carnival the only line being considered from the NYC/NJ area?  The OP might find an NCL, RCCL or Celebrity 5 or 6 day sailing that enfolds her BDay and is comparable in cost.

And I think the idea of at least a balcony with a young one is the minimum acceptable cabin type for a relaxing cruise. 

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Is Carnival the only line being considered from the NYC/NJ area?  The OP might find an NCL, RCCL or Celebrity 5 or 6 day sailing that enfolds her BDay and is comparable in cost.

And I think the idea of at least a balcony with a young one is the minimum acceptable cabin type for a relaxing cruise. 

There are actually NCL 7 days and RCCL 5 day, but dates are too early.

Don’t want cruise end before BD, as each sailing brings a bit of depression when it ends. If not on actual BD, would rather have a cruise to look forward to than almost cry about one that is over.

Edited by Anastasia13

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Look into NCL out of NY and Celebrity and RCCL out of NJ

Neither dates still work out :(

NCL and RCCL are also more $$$ (I am not trying to be cheap, but with mortgage and childcare, budget is not the last consideration)