Luggage Question

Yo Adrienne

You should simply pack and travel with what you want to.  I would not be bothered about what anyone else says or does.  We do carry on but really we could care less how anyone else travels.  It is strictly their own business.

We do have a small Eagle Creek under the seat carry on.  Good wheels and a handle.  Got it in a contest or is was   a prize of some sort.  We have only used it a few times but it is good and it is lightweight.  Since switching to the 20 inch carry ons we have not used it.  It is about 14 inches high.   No issue placing under a seat.  It has very good wheels.  A problem that we find is a lot of the bags have very poor wheels that are not match for cobblestone sidewalks and other rough surfaces.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but the commercially available TravelPro luggage isn't half the quality of what is made for flight crews.  (Go to the TravelPro web site and you'll see where airline personnel need to log on with a password to get to the area where they can buy the luggage made specifically for them.) 

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad luggage--we have a piece of it and it's OK, but we also know that it's made six long haul trips, and it's got only a few more before we will no longer trust it.  We knew it would never have longevity when we purchased it.  

Don't worry about bursting my bubble...the particular TravelPro bags we happen to have were purchased (through) DBIL that certainly would be considered "flight" crew.

Regardless this is a great option for those that can't buy the professional grade and Amazon has good pricing....I merely made a known brand recommendation for consideration.

Glad you've gotten some miles on your TravelPro...ours have considerably more.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'll remind you of my question one more time, and then you can remain (and enjoy?) being annoyed for as long as you wish:

"Does anyone know of something like this (wheeled!) that has a sleeve so it can slip over a larger bag when the large one isn't checked?  That is, both larger and smaller make ONE rolling combo?"

We are tired of each lugging a large wheeled item that will get checked plus a wheeled carry-on prior to checking luggage, and after, too.  that requires both hands for both of us.

And having a carry-on with the sleeve but without wheels... that's no good once the big bag is checked, especially given the distances one often needs to walk in airports these days.  Or sometimes even just down the jetway, for those of us "of a certain age"....

Do you need to have pictures drawn?

As an aside, what I "don't believe" is that you can't figure this out (or maybe are just trolling, looking for arguments).

GC

I have put more posters on ignore this week than I have in the past year combine. Is it a full mooon or some other solar anomaly? The ignore feature is your friend.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, erby2283 said:

The Op is not saying they’re going to carry on all these piece of luggage. They’re saying they want a set so that when they go to the airport, they are able to easily transport all the bags while they check in, hand off the bags they are going to check, and then only bring their carry-on. 

Thanks.  I don't think that was clear.

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you need to have pictures drawn?

As an aside, what I "don't believe" is that you can't figure this out (or maybe are just trolling, looking for arguments).

I would suggest that your descriptions were not exactly spot-on.  But here's a link that can help you.  You'll have to look for those that have wheels but they're there.  You're most welcome.

https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/travel-bags-with-trolley-sleeve/

Edited by clo

We bought these at Costco (they're also available online) and are super happy with them - they hold an amazing amount and can either be put in the overhead bin, or under the seat ahead of you.  To trek through airports after we've retrieved our checked luggage, I slip the strap from the small one over the handle of our big suitcase and wheel them together, the little one sitting on top of the large.  It certainly helps!
https://www.amazon.com/Ciao-Luggage-Suitcase-Airplane-Weekender/dp/B01LTAP5ZE

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

Don't worry about bursting my bubble...the particular TravelPro bags we happen to have were purchased (through) DBIL that certainly would be considered "flight" crew.

Regardless this is a great option for those that can't buy the professional grade and Amazon has good pricing....I merely made a known brand recommendation for consideration.

Thanks for the heads up recommendation. We are going to replace our luggage and will look into Travelpro. 

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

And you are comparing apples to oranges, which was the point of my post to begin with.  The moderate quality available to the public isn't a good long term investment.  There are several brands out there that are a lot better quality for the same price point.

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

good long term investment. 

I don't consider luggage a "long term investment."  I've read that you shouldn't put a ton of money into it as it has a finite life.  Unfortunately in this disposable society in the US getting repairs done can be impossible or prohibitively expensive.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't consider luggage a "long term investment."  I've read that you shouldn't put a ton of money into it as it has a finite life.  Unfortunately in this disposable society in the US getting repairs done can be impossible or prohibitively expensive.  Just my two cents.

I guess it depends on your perspective.  I have a TUMI bag with close to half a million miles on it.  It has far outperformed any other bag I've ever owned.  If I divide the price by the miles, it cost me about 30% what an Eddie Bauer, TravelPro, Rick Steves, Eagle Creek, etc. bag that would have self-destructed after 100K miles would cost.  The only repairs it's ever needed were tightening the hardware, something my husband does as a matter of course every year. 

I look at overall value, and don't see it in most of the moderately priced luggage on the market these days.

31 minutes ago, ducklite said:

And you are comparing apples to oranges, which was the point of my post to begin with.  The moderate quality available to the public isn't a good long term investment.  There are several brands out there that are a lot better quality for the same price point.

That's your opinion...Perhaps not everyone agrees with you about "long term investment" or just what long term to them actually means.

I gave a suggestion on a well known brand....and that's all that was asked for....a back-n-forth debate from you was not. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, clo said:

You're very correct and will gladly add my two cents to your's on this subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

Based on your opinion, do you care to share what brands they are? 

Edited by davekathy