Concierge and when to tip?

This will be our first time in a Neptune suite and plan on using the concierge for making reservations and other things. My questions is, do you usually tip with every request or just at the end?  Also, what is an average tipping amount if we mostly used them for dining reservations? Thanks for any information you can provide.  I know crew members on these ships work hard and I wouldn't want to short them.  

We usually tip at the end of a 7 or 14 day cruise. Amount depends on how much we've interacted with them. There are usually two and I give each a note and envelope. I often give the same amount as we give the room stewards which is usually about $20 per week per person--but again it depends on how much they've done for us.

we always tip at the end of the first segment of a b-to b and again at   the end of the last segment.  I always   have an envelope for them

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

In my experiences, my room stewards do sooo much more for me with 2x per day tidying up and cleaning than the concierges, that to tip an equal amount seems very unfair. I always tip the concierge but try to tip proportionately to services rendered.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oceanmom said:

We usually tip at the end of a 7 or 14 day cruise. Amount depends on how much we've interacted with them. There are usually two and I give each a note and envelope. I often give the same amount as we give the room stewards which is usually about $20 per week per person--but again it depends on how much they've done for us.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Same here.  We tip at the end of the cruise -- same amount for each concierge.

The amount depends on the length of the cruise and how much we have used the concierges.

55 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

We also tip at the end of the cruise, same amount for both concierges. We try to do it the day before the last morning as both may not be in the Neptune Lounge then.

48 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

we always tip at the end of the first segment of a b-to b and again at   the end of the last segment.  I always   have an envelope for them

Same here, even though we seldom use their services.

I'm confused. I would think gratuities for the concierge would be handled by the fact that auto gratuities are higher for suites than non-suites. Unless you're asking for something out of the ordinary, why isn't the concierge covered by the auto gratuity?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DougK said:

I'm confused. I would think gratuities for the concierge would be handled by the fact that auto gratuities are higher for suites than non-suites. Unless you're asking for something out of the ordinary, why isn't the concierge covered by the auto gratuity?

No  confusion''

Concierges all   rotate from front office  to Neptune Lounge for specified length of t ime.     Front office people do not share in auto tip,to the best of my knowledge  I am s ure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

No one HAS to tip the concierge (s) but I cannot imagine not.  some, (most?) are extraordinarily hel[pful.

I just had the pleasure of being helped by he most wonderful gentleman concierge you can imagine. Weslie on Zaandam is terrific.  I  think he  is   moving   or has already moved to one of the larger ships..  K'dam, maybe?

He made w big difference in how  much I enjoyed my cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

To me, that concierge is the same as the concierge at a hotel.  I tip at the time of service, because I know it will not be the same person every time I go to the desk.   Sure, they are paid more than the room stewards.  But, they provide a unique service to their guests and should still be tipped.  At a hotel, I will tip $5 for the service.  As I haven't stayed in a Neptune Suite (although if someone wants to GoFund me so I could), I would tip maybe $2.  They are only dealing with things on the ship, which is a much smaller ecosystem than what a concierge at a hotel would have (hundreds of restaurants, hundreds of tours, activities, etc.).  

56 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Concierges all   rotate from front office  to Neptune Lounge for specified length of t ime.     Front office people do not share in auto tip,to the best of my knowledge  I am s ure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

So would you tip front desk personnel as well?

13 minutes ago, DougK said:

If they help with a difficult problem, I sure do.   If their management prohibits them from accepting, they will say so, but they will appreciate the gesture.  People from time to time give me a little gratuity when I assist them when I'm at my Front Desk.  As a manager, I can't keep it, but it goes into our department party fund.   

Edited by slidergirl

11 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Same here.  We tip at the end of the cruise -- same amount for each concierge.

The amount depends on the length of the cruise and how much we have used the concierges.

This is what I have done as well.

5 hours ago, DougK said:

So, you do not believe in tipping beyond the auto gratuities?

You are quite mistaken,

Neptune concierges do not ONLY deal with things on the ship.  Not sure where that idea came from 🙂

I have heard them  Arange tee times at various golf courses and clubs atound ghe Caribbean.  T hey make dining reservations  in ports etc, etc    

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

As to your Why question..   We don't make those decisions.  They are made by  HAL execs.

5 hours ago, DougK said:

No.

One of the pleasures od nweprune Loungew and donciergfe si one can do all reon office things in Neptunew ane no need to go to ofice the whole cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

58 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

As a general matter, no. That's the whole point of auto gratuities. Actually, I prefer to cruise on lines where the gratuities are included, but I consider the auto gratuity to be much the same, except it lets the cruise line advertise a deceptively lower price. There are, of course, exceptions when a staff person has gone well beyond the ordinary, and we've done an extra gratuity then. But when they're just doing their normal job, and that includes normal concierge tasks like booking specialty restaurant reservations, I consider the normal auto gratuity to be sufficient.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

To me, that concierge is the same as the concierge at a hotel.  I tip at the time of service, because I know it will not be the same person every time I go to the desk.

My experience with the Neptune Lounge concierges is that a team (usually two) is assigned a rotational duty from the front desk to the NL for the entire cruise segment, or perhaps longer.  So it is not really necessary to tip them at the time of each service which may have been rendered.  We would generally tip at the end of the cruise.

15 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

My experience with the Neptune Lounge concierges is that a team (usually two) is assigned a rotational duty from the front desk to the NL for the entire cruise segment, or perhaps longer.  So it is not really necessary to tip them at the time of each service which may have been rendered.  We would generally tip at the end of the cruise.

Yes   ^^^^   This

I would not tip the concierge extra unless they did something for me that was beyond their job duties.  They make pains to tell you to use them like the front desk, and I don't tip the front desk people, either.  It's frankly absurd to think that those making dining arrangements in suites deserve more pay than the dozens of other employees on the ship who do the same thing for those not in suites.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, sail7seas said:

You are quite mistaken,

Neptune concierges do not ONLY deal with things on the ship.  Not sure where that idea came from 🙂

I have heard them  Arange tee times at various golf courses and clubs atound ghe Caribbean.  T hey make dining reservations  in ports etc, etc    

Sail - my mistake.  Since I never have the money to get a Neptune (I'm lucky if I can afford the cheapest inside), I just based my supposition on what I see on CC. It was usually just booking on the ship (specialty dining, tender tickets, etc,)  In that case, if I were to use their services to book onshore things, I would tip as I do on land.  I pay them to do something that I could not do.  Getting a reservation same-week at a restaurant where the wait is usually months, getting premium seats at a concert where none show available on the website, last-minute transportation...  

To me, tipping the room steward or a dining room waiter (if fixed dining) or a bartender at the end of the cruise is normal.  They do things for me daily.  But, I would still prefer to tip the Concierge at the time of service.  I may only use their assistance once at the beginning of the cruise - to wait until the end takes away the personal "thank you" for that one service and the person who assisted may not be at the desk at the time I come by.  Not a big deal, but just me.  

P.S.  I had a guest give me $20 last night for finding a room with 2 queen beds for his family (the LAST clean one available!!!) because his company accidentally booked him a room with 1 king bed - that wouldn't work with him, his DW, and his 2 teenage sons...  The $20 will buy some beer at the end-of-summer staff party!

Edited by slidergirl

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Sail - my mistake.  Since I never have the money to get a Neptune (I'm lucky if I can afford the cheapest inside), I just based my supposition on what I see on CC. It was usually just booking on the ship (specialty dining, tender tickets, etc,)  In that case, if I were to use their services to book onshore things, I would tip as I do on land.  I pay them to do something that I could not do.  Getting a reservation same-week at a restaurant where the wait is usually months, getting premium seats at a concert where none show available on the website, last-minute transportation...  

To me, tipping the room steward or a dining room waiter (if fixed dining) or a bartender at the end of the cruise is normal.  They do things for me daily.  But, I would still prefer to tip the Concierge at the time of service.  I may only use their assistance once at the beginning of the cruise - to wait until the end takes away the personal "thank you" for that one service and the person who assisted may not be at the desk at the time I come by.  Not a big deal, but just me.  

P.S.  I had a guest give me $20 last night for finding a room with 2 queen beds for his family (the LAST clean one available!!!) because his company accidentally booked him a room with 1 king bed - that wouldn't work with him, his DW, and his 2 teenage sons...  The $20 will buy some beer at the end-of-summer staff party!

No, problem slidergirl

N one of  us can know every fact about what happens on all the HAL ships..

Thus the reasons for   these forums

Enjoy your 'end-of-summer party when the time comes

Edited by sail7seas

On 6/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, slidergirl said:

Since I never have the money to get a Neptune (I'm lucky if I can afford the cheapest inside), I just based my supposition on what I see on CC.

I find your candor refreshing -- and I relish your perspective as one who mans the front desk from time to time.