Moderno price increase

vince_g

5 minutes ago, vince_g said:

The price for Moderno without a SDP is now $46.80.  Up by $10.  The only way I would pay that is if they brought it up to Churrascaria Plataforma standard.  Anyone else think it's steep?

I can’t believe anyone would ever pay that on top of the cruise fare and think it was “worth” it. Never .....

• Like 2

Yes.  I wouldn't pay that.  I was already of the opinion that Moderno (generally) is not as good as Texas de Brazil or Fogo de Chao.  And now they are charging the same amount as a land Churrascaria?  I don't even use the dining package on Moderno. 

• Like 1

David, it is true, but VERY recent.  I just saw it this morning on "my NCL".

Yes, they were pushing it at $29 +20%.  Lately we are sticking with our 2 platinum dinners, and that is enough for us.  We started to dislike all the reservations we needed to keep, and felt like we possibly eating more than we needed to.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vince_g said:

Lately we are sticking with our 2 platinum dinners, and that is enough for us.  We started to dislike all the reservations we needed to keep, and felt like we possibly eating more than we needed to.  

We feel the same, Moderno good enough as a loyalty perk, not worth extra money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vince_g said:

Yes, they were pushing it at $29 +20%.  Lately we are sticking with our 2 platinum dinners, and that is enough for us.  We started to dislike all the reservations we needed to keep, and felt like we possibly eating more than we needed to.  

Isn't $29 + 20% = 34.80...not 46.80?  $12 difference

2 minutes ago, vince_g said:

It must have been $30 then, because the price with gratuity was $36.

$36 is still high, yes.  But the OP said $46.80, which I think makes it the 2nd most expensive restaurant on NCL after Ocean Blue right? 

Edit...sorry just realized you are the OP lol.  That is a pretty big increase, nearly 25% jump 

Edited by MrMike45

It’s listed as $36 with gratuity for my September cruise. I only liked it when they had shrimp and the pineapple. The salad bar isn’t even good anymore. 

I wish they would just convert them all to Los Lobos or the BBQ place. 

A2D1B75D-F318-452D-B952-A46F9C8E1FFE.jpeg

Edited by Tinyturtle22

2 hours ago, vince_g said:

We would eat more at MDRs too.   We have our two Plat dinners and usually take the SDP since it's a 'cheap' promo, but sometimes it's hard to decide where we want to eat.   Love that they added Los Lobos and 'Q' so we have some more choices but we could be happy with the MDRS and less stress about getting a decent dinner reservation time.

We had stopped booking Modernos for awhile but have recently learned to enjoy it again mostly for the unique salad bar items and a lighter meal.  I would never pay the new price for it but will just book if we are using up our SDP meals.

2 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

$36 is still high, yes.  But the OP said $46.80, which I think makes it the 2nd most expensive restaurant on NCL after Ocean Blue right? 

I am the OP, it was $36, now almost $47.  Way too high for what it is.  I have seen our Cagney's bill for 2 exceed $100, so we can safely say it is one of most expensive.  Makes me wonder if Cagney's/Le Bistro/La Cucina are raising their a la carte prices.

On my cruise, Breakaway, this Sunday, the price is still 36, however, it states this, "

• PRICE $36.00
  • Price includes a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge."

Doesn't matter to me, I don't really care for all the salty, over-cooked meat they serve. The pineapple, that's a different story. 

Moderno wasn't worth it before the increase.  We've tried it several times on different ships, and always found the meats to be dry, sometimes cold, and just not very good.  The salad bar was excellent on the Gem (it's a been a few years) but not so much on the Jewel.  On the Gem, since we had a dining package, we went back another time just for the salad and dessert, but I sure wouldn't pay the cover charge for that.   At least with respect to the ships we've been on (Jewel-class), there has not been enough costumer volume for NCL to pull off a true churrascaria. 

As others have said, you can pretty much eat on land at a high quality churrascaria for NCL's new prices (and that's not even counting the money you already paid for dinner in the MDR).

Let's backup those reported new numbers, it seemed the latest bump is a 30% increase from $30 p/p to $39 p/p plus 20%, bringing the new Total to $46.80 😤 🤯 wow.  

Big question, still complimentary for Platinum as a free meal ? Or, an upcharge ... for one's convenience 🤫

23 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Big question, still complimentary for Platinum as a free meal ? Or, an upcharge ... for one's convenience 🤫

Yes. I was on the 6/16 Escape cruise & Moderno or La Cucina was still an option for one of the platinum vouchers. 

Edited by Bonobochick
fixed something.

Its quality food and meats at Moderno but I would never go back. IMHO Its more of sampling and not a full meal. I did not care for some of the meats and you have to wait a good while for the good ones to come around again.  Also, they try and fill you up with sides by placing that giant tumbler of 3 sides in front of you even before the meat comes around and this is not even including the salad bar.  If I want a good filet I would take Cagneys over this anyday.

However back when it was $18 it was a good experience. I would never pay $40 for this now.

Edited by david_sobe

My Breakaway for September still says what is pictured above but I checked my 2 Epic cruises for next year and they say $39 plus gratuity and “specialty service charge”.

Its going to be a ghost town at that price. Maybe there is going to be some kind of menu revamp. 

753EEABF-B2B0-4F5D-9BC6-94CD3965F2E2.png

Edited by Tinyturtle22

While Moderno is fun to try, on our most frequent cruises, we have decided to dine elsewhere with our SDP. Our next cruise, we had already decided on other venues. I can't see people paying much more than $36pp for a cover charge restaurant.