Aft premium balcony or mini-suite on Star

Vineyard View

We are booking a 7 day out of SFO to Vancouver next year on the Star. We have never sailed on this ship. We are trying to decide between a premium aft (274 sf) on Caribe deck sailing 9/20, or a Mini-Suite on Dolphin deck sailing 9/20 or 10/4.. Pricing isn’t a huge difference. 

I enjoy balcony time, and if weather permits breakfast is a treat outside. Aft views could be awesome, but extra space in mini-suite is also attractive. 

I would really appreciate any insight and thoughts from those who may have sailed in both, or either. Thank you. 

Balcony cat. cabins in all locations have the same interiors. The premium designation has to do with the location on the ship. Balcony cat. cabins are comfortable but do no have a sofa if that is important to you. The aft facing balconies vary in size and amount of cover depending on the deck. Port and starboard balcony cabins on deck 10 have 9' x 9' balconies which are half covered. Balcony cabins on decks 11, 12 and 14 have 9' x 5' balconies which are fully covered.

Almost all mini-suites are on deck 9. These are larger cabins with a sofa sitting area and two TV's. Minis also have a bathtub with shower. All mini suites on deck 9 have 9' x 6' balconies which do not have cover. There are 12 mini suites on deck 8 aft that do have covered balconies. The ones on the starboard side are above the small smoking area on the promenade, deck 7 below. Mid ship minis are the Club Class minis. Club Class minis come with special dining in a section of the Portofino DR. This is anytime dining where you can just about walk in anytime and you will be seated. The menu is the same as the other dining areas except there is an additional menu item. Service is way better. 

• Like 1

Thank you both very much. I think that the 9x9 balcony with different views wins over a couch. TV is not important to us. Being above a lounge or smoking big downside. 

I will stay with the aft on starboard side. Appreciate this assistance. 

Was on the Star last May in a premium aft balcony Alaska inside passage.  The views from the balcony were wonderful.  No barrel chair, just the desk chair.  But then on the Emerald to Hawaii I chose a mini suite over the aft cabin.  With so many sea days I could see all the water I wanted from the balcony.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, skynight said:

The premium designation has to do with the location on the ship. Balcony cat. cabins are comfortable but do no have a sofa if that is important to you.

Does balcony cat. cabins include deluxe and premium deluxe cabins ? are you positive about this ??? is it that way on all Princess ships ??? deluxe balconys have a small sofa ???

and premium deluxe have a sofa and a 'premium' location such as a true aft ???

just checking as I just looked at the cabin descriptions for an upcoming SKY Princess cruise ...

Edited by voljeep

On 6/30/2019 at 9:40 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Do the premium aft-facing balcony cabins still have a barrel chair or is the desk chair the only chair in the cabin like the other balcony and below cabins now?

Only the Magic 8 Ball knows.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Does balcony cat. cabins include deluxe and premium deluxe cabins ? are you positive about this ??? is it that way on all Princess ships ??? deluxe balconys have a small sofa ???

and premium deluxe have a sofa and a 'premium' location such as a true aft ???

just checking as I just looked at the cabin descriptions for an upcoming SKY Princess cruise ...

The OP is asking about the Star brah not the Sky.  🤔

On 6/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, skynight said:

Balcony cat. cabins in all locations have the same interiors. The premium designation has to do with the location on the ship. Balcony cat. cabins are comfortable but do no have a sofa if that is important to you. The aft facing balconies vary in size and amount of cover depending on the deck. Port and starboard balcony cabins on deck 10 have 9' x 9' balconies which are half covered. Balcony cabins on decks 11, 12 and 14 have 9' x 5' balconies which are fully covered.

If this were a longer cruise, plus sea days, I would opt to the mini-suite for the extra room and couch. It’s great to know the differences so I appreciate everyone providing me this information. 

One thing that is confusing me though. I looked at several Premium balcony cabins. All stated that they were 274sf. Some were lower in price than other - aft being the higher price. So if all are 274sf, wouldn’t all the balconies be the same size?  

I sailed to Alaska on the Star in May 2015.  we were in Caribe 729 cabin, aft facing. Our cabin Stewart exchanged items I did not want in the mini bar with items I like (brought me scotch in exchange of all other liquors)  I also pre ordered a regular bottle of scotch to be placed in our cabin. Sitting on the dech watching the world disappear behind the ship was a favorite pastime while my wife slept. Had a carafe of coffee delivered each morning along with muffins and fruit.  When the upper common areas got crazy with everyone crowding one side or the other, we would go back to our cabin and see without pushy people moving in front of us. Glacier watching was one event worth missing on the common decks. There are a few people or nationalities who/which don't mind getting very close to others, wasn't my cup of tea.  Our cabin had lots of personal space 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

If this were a longer cruise, plus sea days, I would opt to the mini-suite for the extra room and couch. It’s great to know the differences so I appreciate everyone providing me this information. 

One thing that is confusing me though. I looked at several Premium balcony cabins. All stated that they were 274sf. Some were lower in price than other - aft being the higher price. So if all are 274sf, wouldn’t all the balconies be the same size?  

The size "estimates" don't give really accurate information. They use pretty much the same sq. ft. numbers for all the cabins in the same category.

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Location, location, location😁

That is the name of the pricing and category game.

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Thank you for the link JF  - there are no aft minis available on either of the Fall sailings next year

We now have an aft premium C753 on the outside starboard - there appears to be a blank area next to the balcony on the outside. Anyone know what that would be?

I would think if the balcony was larger it would show a larger sf, but if these  are just examples rather than specific I thank you thank you for clarifying that JF

Doverboy thanks for your insight on the advantages you had with the aft. We won’t be in Alaska but I do believe the experience will be worth the extra dollars. 

Jwattle, agree....location =$$

Again , appreciate all this insight from you all with so much more Princess experience. 

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for the link JF  - there are no aft minis available on either of the Fall sailings next year

We now have an aft premium C753 on the outside starboard - there appears to be a blank area next to the balcony on the outside. Anyone know what that would be?

I would think if the balcony was larger it would show a larger sf, but if these  are just examples rather than specific I thank you thank you for clarifying that JF

Doverboy thanks for your insight on the advantages you had with the aft. We won’t be in Alaska but I do believe the experience will be worth the extra dollars. 

Jwattle, agree....location =$$

Again , appreciate all this insight from you all with so much more Princess experience. 

These 2 aft corner cabins are really sought after and go fast.

We have stayed in these cabins a few times.

The balcony is larger and awesome!

The blank space in not an issue.

Better mark the booking "NO UPGRADE" otherwise you may find yourself moved to a less undesirable cabin.

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

That blank space is the stairway for crew. Also used during muster drills for passengers.

If you mark your cabin "no upgrade" as Colo above suggests...just be aware that it doesn't guarantee Princess won't upgrade you. To Princess the designation "no upgrade" is a suggestion, not mandatory.

• Haha 1

Thank you both - I just requested this suggestion from our TA. It sounds like we really scored here above what we knew could be a great cabin. YEAH!  Makes me even more excited. Bus to port vs long plane. Great cabin. Fun itinerary we have enjoyed most ports before via land - winner all the way around.  

On 6/30/2019 at 6:15 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are booking a 7 day out of SFO to Vancouver next year on the Star. We have never sailed on this ship. We are trying to decide between a premium aft (274 sf) on Caribe deck sailing 9/20, or a Mini-Suite on Dolphin deck sailing 9/20 or 10/4.. Pricing isn’t a huge difference. 

I enjoy balcony time, and if weather permits breakfast is a treat outside. Aft views could be awesome, but extra space in mini-suite is also attractive. 

I would really appreciate any insight and thoughts from those who may have sailed in both, or either. Thank you. 

We sail the Star to Hawaii in a mini suite E723.

The Emerald Deck have the only cover mini suites, that provide privacy and cover in inclement weather.

Great location, easy access to decks 7 and 6

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:15 PM, Vineyard View said:

Mini-suites have a bathtub which some, like my wife, insist on having......

We ended up booking aft balcony on NA VB5193. 

I am not concerned with a bathtub (thank you PaperSniper for the tip) but a nice balcony is really quite important. We have never sailed AFT so we are looking forward to that experience. MixerDave that is a balcony I could thoroughly enjoy! 

• Like 1