Equinox 8/31 Why so many available cabins?

barb in ga

On 7/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, 39august said:

Last two weeks of August and first two weeks of Sept. are typically the worst of hurricane season. Our Sept. 23 cruise is nearly full. 

7 hours ago, Nymich said:

Not sure where you get these statistics in fact I would love to know.   We have had hurricanes at all different times and months.  If you can prove to me that august 15-sept 15 as you say is the height year over year for decades I will have learned something.

Considering Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico Sept 20th (and others around that time) it would seem typical has to be viewed very very loosely.  Hurricane season officially runs from June 1 to November 30th and it is said to peak in August, September, and October.  I have sailed in October and never had any issues, in fact I instead hit a snow storm in New York!  I am now booked for July/August in the Caribbean for first time ever, I totally realize this is 'hurricane' season but I go thinking one will not happen around my sailing (optimist here) or if it does the ship will divert.

Hurricanes are a crap shoot until they show up on the weather system ... sadly.  There is surely peak times and busiest times but still somewhat uncertain year to year and month to month and even area to area.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nymich said:

Not sure where you get these statistics in fact I would love to know.   We have had hurricanes at all different times and months.  If you can prove to me that august 15-sept 15 as you say is the height year over year for decades I will have learned something.

The stats come from NOAA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurricane+season+graph&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=magMgC4hGHeifM:

Hopefully that will work. Historic peak for the US is Sept 10. Caribbean is a little later, and the whole season is getting longer, as you well know being in south Florida.

I don’t think the risk is really that large, though. I think if you live in the snow belt, there’s a bigger chance of your plans get delayed in Jan and Feb

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whitshel said:

Just because they show that many cabins available doesn't mean there are that many.  They may have sold 200 guarantee cabins that haven't been assigned yet.  They'll leave the regular categories open as long as they can to try and get some more money then assign the guarantee cabins at the last minute then you'll see the quantities go down fast.

And visa versa- we bid on a concierge suite which was listed as not available, and did get it on our last cruise.  I assume people get shuffled or for whatever reason back out at the last minute.

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

The stats come from NOAA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurricane+season+graph&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=magMgC4hGHeifM:

Hopefully that will work. Historic peak for the US is Sept 10. Caribbean is a little later, and the whole season is getting longer, as you well know being in south Florida.

I don’t think the risk is really that large, though. I think if you live in the snow belt, there’s a bigger chance of your plans get delayed in Jan and Feb

I figured since the Eq is leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and heading to the Caribbean the poster had some statistical proof that these are the typical worst dates for these areas  aug 15-sept 15.   Historic peak for US is good stuff but doesn't drill down to Fort Lauderdale and the areas the cruise heads to.  Point being it is very difficult to say these are the dates to watch out for unless you say June 1 to November 30.  

• Like 1

RCL Allure has sailings leaving the day after Celebrity sails. August 25: no balconys available, September 1: 108 balconys available. As of yesterday morning Celebrity had over 300 balconys for August 24 and over 400 balconys for August 31. The Sept. 1 Allure is selling at a $300+ premium over the Equinox. Take into consideration the Allure is twice as big as the Equinox. If the lower bookings, on the Equinox are based on hurricane season worries why isn't the it showing on the Allure's bookings?

If the Equinox is holding a bunch of cabins for guarantees why isn't the Allure? The public is speaking.

Availability taken from the u.k. and usa cruise line sites.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked this cruise over the weekend. I had wanted to do a land vacation...just vegging on the beach but hubby decided he'd rather do this cruise. The price had gone up very minimally but we got $200 more OBC so came out ahead. 

I'll cross my fingers for no hurricanes. I had my share last year with Michael. 

We booked the 8.31.19 cruise because for us the ship is the destination, been to all the Caribbean Islands many many times and most of time we stay on the ship. We booked a Guaranteed cabin for 499.00 each. We are Floridians and realize it's peak hurricane season and out of our 60 cruises we have sailed in hurricane season 6 times with only 1 cruise that was cut short 2 days because the port of Miami was closing on Friday so we sailed back for a Thursday disembarkation, this was 2 years ago for Hurricane Irma on the MSC Divina.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:42 PM, twodaywonder said:

. We just returned from the Equinox cruise. Will not do that ship again. It was just OK. Nothing special at all. The Reflection a few months earlier was a far better cruise for us. That we liked and will do the Reflection again.

Wow, exact opposite of us, been on the Equinox 6 times and love the ship

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, oneputt18 said:

Wow, exact opposite of us, been on the Equinox 6 times and love the ship

While we do love the equinox- we felt the reflection was great!  Loved the lawn grill replacing the glass blowing.  However, all must try the Edge if you haven't a great experience- all cruises have little niggles- but overall we have a very positive outlook on life and can truly say (with the exception of a couple of Carnival cruises) never dislike any ship!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Equinox mid September 2017 as well as mid September 2018.  Both had hurricane issues with 2017 being worse. It wasn’t until the day before sailing that we knew we would definitely be going. I was a wreck......we won’t be sailing during hurricane season anymore.

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We were on the Equinox mid September 2017 as well as mid September 2018.  Both had hurricane issues with 2017 being worse. It wasn’t until the day before sailing that we knew we would definitely be going. I was a wreck......we won’t be sailing during hurricane season anymore.

I don't care where we go.  Have been to all the islands many times.  Just want to be on a ship, relaxing and having a good time, while somebody else does the cooking and cleaning.  I was happy to take advantage of the bargain prices!  

• Like 1

Obviously on this one all the answers apply.

Peak hurricane season.

Lots of cruisers don't do the Caribbean.

Kids back to school.

The other question would be, How were the cabins priced early on? Were they nosebleed high and no one booked them?

We have a similar situation on our 11/5 crossing on Reflection.  This is our 25th crossing and the vast majority of those were sold out our close to that 9-12 months in advance.  That was when crossings were priced reasonably.  Then they became trendy, everyone wanted to do them, and the prices went through the roof.  Limited bookings (except for suites, of course).  Now 3 months out and tons of cabins available.  And they have to sell those to the majority of who will have to take expensive one-way air to Barcelona.

I am seeing cabins available on every kind of sailing--whether plain vanilla or unique.  And really believe the pricing structure, which in a lot of cases is insane, is to blame.