Cabin for 3 on Windstar ships?

Karen13

Hi, I have a colleague who is keen to try Windstar after I have told her how much we enjoy our cruises with them.

she is hoping to do a Caribbean trip on one of the motor yachts next year with her husband and 12 year old daughter. Is that possible without having to book two cabins? 

Thanks for any advice.

There are cabins in about half of the categories with a third berth.  That said, they need to clearly understand that this cruise will almost definitely not have another child on it and that there is nothing geared towards teens to do.  They should also understand that some will not likely care to sit with them as they won't want to be seated with a child.  

Personally I would probably not bring a child under 16 on a Windstar cruise.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

There are cabins in about half of the categories with a third berth.  That said, they need to clearly understand that this cruise will almost definitely not have another child on it and that there is nothing geared towards teens to do.  They should also understand that some will not likely care to sit with them as they won't want to be seated with a child.  

Personally I would probably not bring a child under 16 on a Windstar cruise.

I wouldn’t say “none” but children on WS are scarce. We were in on itin where an extended family had around four kids in that age range. But an old style grandmother had them in her beady eye at every moment. They even appeared at each dinner in ties and navy blue jackets. I’d think kids would mostly be bored. I also don’t recommend this. 

We took our two sons, ages 21 and 18 with us on the Panama Canal Cruise. There was perhaps one other teenager and a family with younger children and this was between Christmas and New Years. They had been on another cruise with us when they were much younger but that was on RC and they went to the kids programs. Because of the port intensive itinerary, our sons came with us during the days but hung out together in their cabin most evenings after dinner. 

If the 12 year old is mature and enjoys traveling with her parents and doesn’t mind there might not be other children on board I think it is wonderful to give your child the joy of traveling. 

I will say, on our Panama Canal cruise with the young children our captain spent a lot of time with the children and really made an impression on all of us. At the time he was the youngest captain in the fleet but sadly I don’t believe he is with the company any longer. 

Edited by Ski Mom 2

I have really only seen well behaved children on WS. Not many but the ones I have seen the parents have spent a lot of time with them and they appeared happy not bored. I agree with Ski Mom 2 those fortunate children. The children would love the Caribbean with all the water activity. I hope they have a great time. I would never  discourage children on a WS cruise. Just make sure they know what the ship offers and what it does not offer. Happy Sailing 

Thanks everyone for your comments.

My colleagues daughter is very mature, and well behaved. As an only child, she is well used to the company of adults and travels everywhere with her parents. I have discussed what is, and what is not, available on this cruise so my friend is aware.

She has cruised on the Star Clipper many years ago which I would imagine offers a similar level of entertainment, etc. 

Thanks again.

If you go to the deck plans of each ship, at the bottom of the page they list those cabins with a 3rd berth.

Wind Surf: 117-140 plus all suites

Wind Spirit and Wind Star: all cabins except 101 & 102; all suites

Star Pride, Star Breeze & Star Legend(currently): Classic Suites with 3rd berths — 05 and 06, Balcony Suites with 3rd berths — 204-205, and 222-223, Ocean View Suites with 3rd berths — 112-115, 200-201, 300-301

I think I got all those right but I would check to make sure. They triplets 3rd berths change after they are reconfigured and they list those cabins as well. 

• Like 1

We have traveled with WS a few times with our child as a tween/younger teen.  I don't think we were ever the only family (or even the youngest) family.

At one point I looked into putting three of us in a cabin but it looked very tight and we ended up getting sale fares so we just got two cabins (much cheaper than a suite IIRC). 

It worked out really well for us because if you get the right cabins on the motor yachts they can be configured like a suite (close off the door to the corridor and you can either leave your individual cabin doors open, or close them for sleeping).

edited to add-- here and here are older threads on this topic

Edited by Doh15

We cruised on the Pride a few years ago. Had a cabin for 3 adults - me, my mom, my sister. You can have the beds be 2 singles, or a queen, and then the sofa pulled out into a bed. It really was not crowded during the day when the sofa was a sofa. When pulled out, hard to get around the bed to the balcony. But we really did not feel crowded at all....my sister quickly got used to me crawling across her bed to get to the balcony in the morning!

Edited by anadi
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen some kids. They are well behaved. Not much for kids to do. Met some teens that watched lots of videos.  They kept room service busy bringing them popcorn. Motor yachts have plenty of space for an extra person. Sailing ships, suites would be better for 3 people.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw maybe four children on our last windstar cruise.  One reason I do not cruise larger ships because of children.  However, I must say that one night those children were running around and screaming and the crew told them that behavior was not allowed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bplazo said:

We saw maybe four children on our last windstar cruise.  One reason I do not cruise larger ships because of children.  However, I must say that one night those children were running around and screaming and the crew told them that behavior was not allowed.

That's really, really good to hear.  I am the proud aunt to eight nieces and nephews.  They are all now in their teens and 20's , but when they were in that 4-12 group, oh holy hell.  Three were always impeccably behaved and mannered, three were absolute hellions, and two were "followers" whose behavior mimicked the kids they were with.  For a million dollars wouldn't have taken all but the first three on a cruise back then.  

Personally I don't think it's fair to the kids to put them in a situation where they have nothing to entertain them and no place to run off energy.  There is that one in a thousand bookworm who is content to sit in a chair and read and is mature beyond their years (one of my nieces has always been that type of person), but 99% of kids need to be active and a small upscale cruise ship is not going to give them that opportunity.

46 minutes ago, bplazo said:

We had several children on our Alaskan cruise this summer.  They were, for the most part, very well behaved, and the crew really enjoyed paying attention to them.  Many of the crew members have children at home who they miss dearly.  The only bad moment was when one of the children had a total "meltdown" while kayaking.  I must say that I resented the intrusion of noise into what was otherwise peaceful solitude.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:35 AM, ridethetide said:

We had several children on our Alaskan cruise this summer.  They were, for the most part, very well behaved, and the crew really enjoyed paying attention to them.  Many of the crew members have children at home who they miss dearly.  The only bad moment was when one of the children had a total "meltdown" while kayaking.  I must say that I resented the intrusion of noise into what was otherwise peaceful solitude.

There were at least 8 teens on our Star Legend Alaska sailing (just ended on 8/9).  They were all well behaved and linked up with each other by the second day.  One staff member (Amphora and Yacht Club) who bonded well with them was in the crew talent show. The teens loved her singing and gave her a standing ovation (soon joined by us old farts).

I am almost 70 and I love the kind of kids we find on Windstar.

• Like 1