Invicta Watch Sale total rip-off

guys2

11 hours ago, markeb said:

At least you're not trying to find a SS 5711...

They did have the SS 5711at Jewels in St Thomas.  It wasn’t on display but since we are frequent customers he brought it out.  The salesman knows that I am not a flipper.  The watch is very nice it.  The bracelet is very comfortable but for name the dial is too busy or jumbled.   I passed on it even though he tried his best twisting my arm to buy it.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 hours ago, miched said:

That is why I love watches and buy them.  Here is the one I want

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

238F2BC0-7502-47AC-A663-D7B96050DC78.jpeg

If we're talking grails then this is probably mine. Like you, the mechanics and engineering fascinate me. 

JLC.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mynki said:

If we're talking grails then this is probably mine. Like you, the mechanics and engineering fascinate me. 

JLC.png

Have you seen the Harry Winston Opus 11 made for Basel 2011

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-harry-winston-opus-eleven-an-early-contender-for-the-bes

here is a video of how it is assembled and works

Every hour the watch goes thru the rotation and then displays the numeral of the hour in the center.   The minutes are in displayed in side dial.  .

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 7/6/2019 at 7:44 AM, Bo1953 said:

Well, I can say that a few of the liquors are of good value aboard to bring home... from time to time.

bon voyage

This,^^^^

I usually go aboard with a shopping list of liquors I've priced out at home. Sometimes I score, sometimes not. This is specially true with 1L bottles compared to 750 ML bottles typically found in stores.

Edited by mac66

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence via cruising forums of passengers having bought items with "International warranties" having difficulty getting these so called warranties. Watches, cameras are a couple of items where complaints have been received. I note on all Celebrity ships I have been on there is a trade through the shops of second hand Rolex watches. I have never bought one as the asking price was too rich for my blood but I did read the T & Cs and no warranties are provided. Here is NZ we allow Parallel importing of goods. These are goods legitimately purchased from authorised persons overseas and imported into the country. Not Counterfeit but the real item. The catch with these items is that the official licensee for these goods is not obliged to warrant the goods and should anything go wrong one has to go back to the importer. I am sure a similar circumstance operates with some cruise lines.

I am the salesman's nightmare.  I am one of those types that will only buy something that I have decided that I want. I do have a few watches but probably the most expensive is a couple of hundred £ or $.  I see a watch as functional and I do have my preference of design.  If it appeals to me aesthetically, it tells me the time and I am on the lookout for one I will buy it.  If I have no interest then nobody is going to sell me one. 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, mac66 said:

This,^^^^

I usually go aboard with a shopping list of liquors I've priced out at home. Sometimes I score, sometimes not. This is specially true with 1L bottles compared to 750 ML bottles typically found in stores.

Plus no sales tax , if you know your prices they do have some bargains

We have probably done 25 cruises and only purchased jewelry/watch twice. Not because they were a good deal... more as something to remember the cruise by. Other than that... I will get a Tshirt.... no gold by the inch or $10 watch sets. One of the on board purchase was a tank watch... something I had admired but wasn't seriously considering purchasing due to cost... but the waves, the wine... I don't know... I did end up with one. Now I am not a flashy dresser... so this was definitely unusual thing to do... but I now wear it a lot. Now I will say that I used some of my 90 free Elite internet to do a quick price check to make sure I was not paying more than I would at home... so the savings was just sales tax. A customs agent told us years ago that the best place to purchase jewelry in the Caribbean is on St Maarten... I have made a few purchases over the years there and on St Thomas and Nassau... but again... more as a momento and I generally keep my choice on the lower end... should it prove not to be the genuine article... but again...it is something to remember the trip by..not an investment

On 7/6/2019 at 6:52 AM, mikkelhansen said:

Funnily we had almost the exact same experience regarding Michael Kors bags! We bought a quite cheap tote bag onboard Equinox in January (I believe it was a sale with items from last season), my wife had long wanted a MK bag, so it was ideal. The price onboard was about 40% off the cheapest legit US retailer we could find within a few minutes of searching, and more than 50% off retail prices in Denmark.

I would suppose it's common sense to hold the onboard price up against the price on land, but already when my wife saw the price tag on the specific bag, she knew it was a great deal.

I saw, and fell in love with an MK evening bag that was on sale on Reflection.  But I thought I could get a better price back home.  Turns out, no such luck.  Wish I had bought the bag on board when I had the chance.  

I find that the majority of prices for liquor found on board for us in BC in Canada can be a great deal. The duty free shops were selling 4 one litre bottles of Grey Goose for $100US($130 approx CDN). The equivalent purchase back home would have been upwards of $250. 

We bought a quite rare Tag Heuer watch on board for $3400. Now the thing is, we're from the UK, and at the time it was $2.20 to the £1.00. The cheapest we could find the same watch anywhere in the UK was £2800, so I reckon we made a killing. We've also found Tommy Bahamas shirts on sale too, which are difficult to find in the UK. But Invicta watches? The same as Timex in the UK.

There was a really good scam going on in the UK a while back. A company took out full page ads in high end magazines like Tatler and Vanity Fair showing their watches, with prices over a thousand pounds. Salesmen were then going round stopping people in the street from their cars, showing them the magazine ad and telling them they'd just made a delivery and had a watch left, which they could have for £350 instead of the £1200 in the ad. The watches were worth about £15.00!

On 7/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, TommyTV said:

There was a really good scam going on in the UK a while back. A company took out full page ads in high end magazines like Tatler and Vanity Fair showing their watches, with prices over a thousand pounds. Salesmen were then going round stopping people in the street from their cars, showing them the magazine ad and telling them they'd just made a delivery and had a watch left, which they could have for £350 instead of the £1200 in the ad. The watches were worth about £15.00!

I remember that scam and I was stopped in the street by a bloke in a BMW (IIRC) offering me a watch - didn't buy one.

Remember...Anyone can attach a price tag with a rather large price, ($900) and then give you 75% off.  You'll think you're getting a good deal, but, in reality, you're getting ripped off.  I own a lot of Invicta watches, [ I wear them just for show], and when I see them being sold on a cruise ship, I have lots of fun with the sales people.  When they come back with their great sales price, I tell them they are full of "you-know-what", because I know the prices.  And this is true for a lot of other items that they are selling.  I think I bought two Invictas on a cruise ship, (since 2003) because they came back with my price on both watches.