Would they ever know.....

jojo1966

I know its morally wrong - but would celebrity be aware if you were to book a cabin for 2 people, probably  when the buy one get one half price offer was on- but then you cancel the other person after final payment - so in effect get a single traveller paying less than you would have to if you did it all open and honestly by paying the going rate for a single traveller??  Please dont slate me - just trying to find the cheapest way for my son to come with us - but have his own room (he's 27 )

I don' think that scenario would work out.  You would pay the cancelation fee for the cancelled party, and they would charge your son for the increase.  You would be better off having the 2nd be a no show.

I am sure you are right that some will flame you for your idea.  But i agree that tgge single supplement should not be at full fare as you will not be using twice the included amenities.  Should be somewhere in the middle.  

• Like 2

If you cancel the 2nd person after final payment I think the remaining passenger would have their fare repriced.  

Booking 2 and 1 being a no show could result in refunding of the taxes, port fees and gratuity charges for the 2nd person but not much savings. 

Thanks...what's the difference between cancelling and "no show " ...do you  just get to check in  desk and then say they haven't come...rather than telling them before you get there? Thanks 

2 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

Thanks...what's the difference between cancelling and "no show " ...do you  just get to check in  desk and then say they haven't come...rather than telling them before you get there? Thanks 

Basically, yes.  Just say the other party is on a different flight and will be arriving later to check in.  The other party then does not show up and Celebrity won't care and your son will have a cabin to himself.  Whomever paid for the second party, will be refunded port charges.

But you're still essentially paying for two people either way.  The price of the cabin will not be refunded for the person who doesn't show up.  Better to just book with the single supplement from the get-go.  Or have him find a friend who wants to pay half to go.

2 hours ago, jojo1966 said:

I know its morally wrong - but would celebrity be aware if you were to book a cabin for 2 people, probably  when the buy one get one half price offer was on- but then you cancel the other person after final payment - so in effect get a single traveller paying less than you would have to if you did it all open and honestly by paying the going rate for a single traveller??  Please dont slate me - just trying to find the cheapest way for my son to come with us - but have his own room (he's 27 )

You must be fairly new to Celebrity.  It may not be any cheaper during the sale because they often raise the price before the sail.  It's probably best if you just book a cabin and pay the single supplement when you find a price that works for you.  I'm not sure how the pricing works in the UK but assuming that you qualify as a senior, since your son is 27, perhaps you should book yourself in the single cabin to  get a senior rate and then get some extra keys after you board.  However some sales may also prevent using the senior discount.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

But you're still essentially paying for two people either way.  The price of the cabin will not be refunded for the person who doesn't show up.  Better to just book with the single supplement from the get-go.  Or have him find a friend who wants to pay half to go.

You may have missed OP's point.    Evidently there is a promotion (possibly just in UK)  with 2nd passenger 50% off.  

While I've not seen the promotion, usually when I do see it, they raise the price just before the "sale" and then discount to the same price as it would be for tow regular fares. 

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You may have missed OP's point.    Evidently there is a promotion (possibly just in UK)  with 2nd passenger 50% off.  

While I've not seen the promotion, usually when I do see it, they raise the price just before the "sale" and then discount to the same price as it would be for tow regular fares. 

No promotion at the moment but they usually have one at least once a year.....maybe they will raise the price just before.....they didnt the time we took advantage of it previously ...ended up cancelling...losing deposit...rebooking and still being £500 better off. I'll keep my eye out and then decide what to do...thanks again 

I have seen this question before on these boards over the years.  One thing that I wonder, is whose name and address and passport number would you use for the second (non-existent) passenger?  

In answer to the original poster's question, contact an experienced travel agent and ask for their advice.  They have seen all the ways passengers and Celebrity work around the rules.  

Good luck!

6 hours ago, marshacruises said:

I have seen this question before on these boards over the years.  One thing that I wonder, is whose name and address and passport number would you use for the second (non-existent) passenger?  

In answer to the original poster's question, contact an experienced travel agent and ask for their advice.  They have seen all the ways passengers and Celebrity work around the rules.  

Good luck!

Thank you.....the second passenger details wouldn't be an issue as I would just put  my other offspring details in as the other passenger....and before anyone says it...no I cant just take that other offspring...😁

24 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

Thank you.....the second passenger details wouldn't be an issue as I would just put  my other offspring details in as the other passenger....and before anyone says it...no I cant just take that other offspring...😁

jojo...I know this would actually cost you more not less but have you considered booking a CS or RS where there is a separate living area with a sofa bed? We have done this with our adult son and it has worked well (especially RS S class where there is an extra toilet and sink)....Privacy for everyone at night but a great shared space during the day and fabulous perks that are of significant value.

Alternatively if you are sailing M class and near to sailing date you could phone and see if they have any family veranda cabins they will release to a group of three (normally for 5)....Again this would offer two rooms and a big balcony much cheaper than a suite...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, marshacruises said:

Good luck!

I imagine Celebrity is like other cruise lines.  When you book, all they want is the name of the two people in cabin.  Credit card info for payment, the address of the credit card holder for validation purposes.  They do not need any info about the second person other than their name, if payments etc. are being done by the primary.  

Do the pre-check in online is not required, just makes it easier to get into the terminal, and actual check-in process at the terminal shorter.

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

jojo...I know this would actually cost you more not less but have you considered booking a CS or RS where there is a separate living area with a sofa bed? We have done this with our adult son and it has worked well (especially RS S class where there is an extra toilet and sink)....Privacy for everyone at night but a great shared space during the day and fabulous perks that are of significant value.

Alternatively if you are sailing M class and near to sailing date you could phone and see if they have any family veranda cabins they will release to a group of three (normally for 5)....Again this would offer two rooms and a big balcony much cheaper than a suite...

yes - we're sailing on millenium - i did look at suite but its like 11000 for 3 people......