Not able to complete check-in

hellokitty1

I’m on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in August and not able to complete the check-in process online because I don’t have my passport info yet. Some family members are waiting for the renewal so we don’t know the dates to input and one other child is waiting to receive a newly issued one. Does it matter that I can’t complete check-in yet? Should I just enter alternative drivers license info in order to finish it? 

thanks!

You’re fine. Just input the passport information when you get it. While it is always nice to see “check-in complete” on my personalizer I am not aware of any advantage to doing this prior to boarding. I’ve always provided this information prior to boarding but as long as you all have valid passports that don’t expire for 6 months from the conclusion of your voyage your boarding experience should be fine. 

I would go ahead and input the information you currently have just so that check in is complete. Then you can print your boarding passes and luggage tags. Then when the new passports arrive just go back in and update all the information.

What is the rush to complete the check in?? Why have to do everything twice? Wait until you have your correct information and then finish it. You don't get anything special for doing it early!

I would expect that you will do it before your cruise but it doesn't need to be done now for August!

Your cruise is going to Victoria Canada, the following is what you need to enter to Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html#a3

Have proper identification

You must carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to help confirm your legal right or authorization to enter Canada when you arrive.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States should visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the requirements to enter, transit through, or return to the United States.

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

For members of a Trusted Traveller program

U.S. citizens

U.S. citizens who are members of the NEXUS program can use their membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air or water. This applies when you are using either conventional or NEXUS-only lanes.  U.S. citizens who are members of FAST may use their membership card when entering Canada by land or water only. When travelling by air, FAST cards will only be accepted as proof of identification when you are travelling to Canada from the U.S.

U.S. permanent residents

NEXUS and FAST members who are permanent residents of the U.S. must still travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence. You may be asked to present these documents to the Border Services Officer (BSO) when you arrive at the border.

No matter your mode of travel, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States. A passport may be required by your airline or other transportation authority, since it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

6 hours ago, hellokitty1 said:

I’m on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in August and not able to complete the check-in process online because I don’t have my passport info yet. Some family members are waiting for the renewal so we don’t know the dates to input and one other child is waiting to receive a newly issued one. Does it matter that I can’t complete check-in yet? Should I just enter alternative drivers license info in order to finish it?

Don't worry about it. When you get to Pier 91 and the check-in agent scans your passport into the system, all of the info will be transferred in at that time. It will be evident to the agent that the passport info is not in the system and he/she will need to scan in the passport whether the info is in there or not anyway.  Just make sure that you've signed your passport as they will look at it downstairs before you even get to check-in anyway.

As an added bit of info also, all passports should be signed, even childrens'. If they are too young to sign there own, a parent or guardian may sign the passport for them. Just print the child's name and sign their own name and write their relationship (e.g. parent or legal guardian) to the child in parenthesis next to the signature.

Tom

7 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Just worry that you and others get the passports in time.

^^^^. 😂😂😂

I paid for expedited service so I should get them. This was a last minute trip and our passports had expired. But we have gotten mixed messages about whether passports are needed for Canada or not. When we went by car a couple of years ago, we did not. And I read on a valid site that you only need a passport if entering by air. But Princess says we need a passport. 

Anywho,  we should get it in time and if we don’t really need it, I’ll be sure to plan an international trip to get my moneys worth. LOL. 

Hellokitty . . . we ran into this with hubby's passport card for Canada.  We expedited his, too, but there was a chance he would not get it in time.  The star card (enhanced driver license with the more extensive proof of who you are) would work if we had not gotten it.

"Technically" not needed, either Enhanced DL or Govt photo ID and original Birth Certificate with embossed seal (WHTI docs). WHTI == Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. 

The only occasion where you'd really really need a passport book it is if you need to leave the ship and get an airline flight from a foreign airport, the WHTI docs (Enhanced DL or Birth Certificate and Drivers License) or passport card can't be accepted by the airlines.-- only a passport book will work.

Passport cards / WHTI Docs are only accepted for land and sea travel between US and MX / CA not air.

Get a passport, good for ten years, works as ID anyplace, you are old and only will need a limited number of new passports, they will level a television or crockpot in a pinch, if you have a passport - I won’t mind being in line behind you, 

1 hour ago, Ferd Berfle said:

"Technically" not needed, either Enhanced DL or Govt photo ID and original Birth Certificate with embossed seal (WHTI docs). WHTI == Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. 

The only occasion where you'd really really need a passport book it is if you need to leave the ship and get an airline flight from a foreign airport, the WHTI docs (Enhanced DL or Birth Certificate and Drivers License) or passport card can't be accepted by the airlines.-- only a passport book will work.

Passport cards / WHTI Docs are only accepted for land and sea travel between US and MX / CA not air.

I keep forgetting that 99% of the population can fly if needed.  I am one of those that cannot (medical condition), so if we had to disembark, our plan would have been to take a train or rent a vehicle and drive back to Seattle.  We also never travel to other countries besides Canada.

Sorry for any confusion.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, hellokitty1 said:

thanks!

From the Travel Summary document:

"

CHECK-IN REQUIREMENTS FOR DEPARTURES FROM U.S. PORTS

You are required to provide complete and accurate immigration information in advance of your cruise via the Cruise Personalizer at princess.com up to 2 days prior to sailing. If you have not provided your details in advance you MUST be checked-in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time or you will be denied boarding.

"

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:46 AM, hellokitty1 said:

thanks!

As I understand it, the issue isn't entering Canada - It's returning to the U.S.  I think you need a passport to reenter the U.S.  In the absence of a passport, an enhanced driver license permits reentry to the U.S. by land and sea but NOT by air.  The driver license with a 'star' in the upper right corner is not an enhanced driver license and does not count instead of a passport for reentry to the U.S.  The license with a star will allow you to get on an airplane in the U.S. or enter certain Federal properties such as courthouses and military bases but will not get you back into the U.S.  The enhanced driver license with a U.S. flag in  the lower right corner will allow you to enter the U.S. by land or Sea from Canada, Mexico or most Caribbean countries.  The enhanced driver license is not good for reentry to the U.S. by air.  If your state does not issue enhanced driver licenses, call your state representatives and ask them to get on the ball and make sure your passport is always up to date.  A standard driver license won't get you back into the U.S.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:46 AM, hellokitty1 said:

thanks!

I totally know that excitement feel when you're booked on a cruise, and want to immediately fill out all your documents. No worries, you have plenty of time to fill out the passport info. I would just leave it blank till they arrive. The cruise personalizer doesn't have to be all filled out immediately. As long as it's done before 3-5 days before sailing, you'll be good. Usually 3 days prior I want to say, you can no longer fill in info. But no worries passport info can still be scanned once you arrive to to port at check in. 

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is one of favorite itineraries, as I've done it for summers now. You'll also love the Ruby, it's a beautiful ship.

NO! The issue has nothing to do with reentering the USA for a USA citizen!

It is only for going on tours into Canada. For a closed loop cruise starting in a USA city and ending in a USA city you don't need a passport. It is always good to have it of course. To enter Canada you need it!

I just got a new enhanced driver license from my state and it does not have a US flag in the lower right corner but does have the star in the upper right corner.  So I don't know what kind of driver license you are talking about.

12 minutes ago, famski740 said:

I just got a new enhanced driver license from my state and it does not have a US flag in the lower right corner but does have the star in the upper right corner.  So I don't know what kind of driver license you are talking about.

South Carolina does not issue "Enhanced" driver licenses.  The only states that currently issue "Enhanced" driver licenses are Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington. Enhanced driver's licenses are available to Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and formerly Quebec.  Check with your State, if your license has a star instead of a flag it is a "Real ID"  See South Carolina DMV website which states "Beginning October 1, 2020, your South Carolina driver's license or identification card must have a gold star to show it's a REAL ID in order to use it as your identification to board a domestic, commercial flight, enter a secure federal building, or visit a military installation ….Regardless of whether you buy a REAL ID or not, you must still have an unexpired US Passport to travel internationally."  See:  http://www.scdmvonline.com/-/driver-services/drivers-license/real-id.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

NO! The issue has nothing to do with reentering the USA for a USA citizen!

It is only for going on tours into Canada. For a closed loop cruise starting in a USA city and ending in a USA city you don't need a passport. It is always good to have it of course. To enter Canada you need it!

Good catch!  You are absolutely correct in those instances where the port of origin and the port of termination are the same.  (Closed Loop Cruises)  However in instances where a cruise originates in San Francisco and stops in Canada and terminates in Seattle, a passport or enhanced driver license is necessary to reenter the U.S.  My last cruise originated in Los Angeles and terminated in Fort Lauderdale.  There are a number of Princess cruises that run between Quebec and NYC or Fort Lauderdale.  Interesting question - does a B2B NYC to Quebec to NYC count as a closed loop cruise or is it considered two separate cruises? 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:01 AM, Daniel A said:

Good catch!  You are absolutely correct in those instances where the port of origin and the port of termination are the same.  (Closed Loop Cruises)  However in instances where a cruise originates in San Francisco and stops in Canada and terminates in Seattle, a passport or enhanced driver license is necessary to reenter the U.S.  My last cruise originated in Los Angeles and terminated in Fort Lauderdale.  There are a number of Princess cruises that run between Quebec and NYC or Fort Lauderdale.  Interesting question - does a B2B NYC to Quebec to NYC count as a closed loop cruise or is it considered two separate cruises? 

Good question. My first thought was if the NYC-Quebec-NYC was booked as a single cruise, then you could travel with birth certificate and ID, but second guessing myself. I will research to see if I can find an answer.

However, I know for sure you could not board in San Francisco and disembark in Seattle unless the ship visited a distant foreign port, such as in Central America. Doing so would violate the PSVA.  Ocean to Ocean Canal cruises, such as your last cruise, stoped in a distant foreign port, for example Costa Rica or Aruba.