What documentation do I need for kids

jrobertson82

I am a single dad, who will be cruising with my kids (11, 15) in March 2020, our first cruise.

I know I need passports for them, but have heard that single parents traveling with kids may need additional paperwork?

My kids live with me full time, and I am the Custodial parent, if that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I believe you are on Carnival. From their FAQ:

"Traveling with a Minor
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security."

If the letter is not possible, I would bring copies of the court papers.

Edited by JennyB1977

17 minutes ago, jrobertson82 said:

I am a single dad, who will be cruising with my kids (11, 15) in March 2020, our first cruise.

I know I need passports for them, but have heard that single parents traveling with kids may need additional paperwork?

My kids live with me full time, and I am the Custodial parent, if that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Whether you need a passport or not depends on your itinerary. If you are sailing on a closed loop cruise (departing from and returning to the same port) then they could get by with birth certificates alone. The only drawback would be if something happened there would be a delay in getting home while the authorities sort things out. As mentioned it is recommended to have a letter from the other parent.

13 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Whether you need a passport or not depends on your itinerary. If you are sailing on a closed loop cruise (departing from and returning to the same port) then they could get by with birth certificates alone. The only drawback would be if something happened there would be a delay in getting home while the authorities sort things out. As mentioned it is recommended to have a letter from the other parent.

Just to clarify further, the closed loop cruise must be based from a US departure port (which includes Puerto Rico) and the ID requirements are a birth certificate and a government issued picture ID -or- a Passport for the parent. Children under 16 do not require a passport or picture ID, but will require a birth certificate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Even though you are the custodial parent you will most likely need permission from the mother in the form of a notarized letter in order to take the kids out of the country.  Its also a good idea to bring the court decision.  Also, there are countries that may require certain documentation for travel within their borders.  Doubt this would be required on a cruise but again - you never know.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Herfnerd said:

Even though you are the custodial parent you will most likely need permission from the mother in the form of a notarized letter in order to take the kids out of the country.  Its also a good idea to bring the court decision.  Also, there are countries that may require certain documentation for travel within their borders.  Doubt this would be required on a cruise but again - you never know.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

When you're dealing with ANY government it's best to be over-prepared.

1 hour ago, Herfnerd said:

Also, there are countries that may require certain documentation for travel within their borders.  Doubt this would be required on a cruise but again - you never know.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

On a US based closed loop cruise there is no other documentation required by any of the port of call countries for entry or excursion tour other than that required to board the ship in the original departure port.  

1 hour ago, cruiseryyc said:

Sorry but children travelling with nay one parent require a passport, closed loop or not.  Plus the letter from non-custodial parent giving permission for children to travel.

Where are you getting this information from - and does it apply to US citizens on a US based closed loop itinerary?

Varies by country. And you didn’t state which countries.  But in general either documentation stating you are the sole parent (because mom is deceased or you have sole  custody) or a notarized  letter from other parent granting you permission to take child out of country or a court order stating you can take the child out of the country over the objections of other parent.  

Pretty much every country requires this for children under 13. Other countries it is for any child under 18.  So you need the letter for your younger child, the older child depends on the country’s you are visiting.  

17 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Varies by country. And you didn’t state which countries.  But in general either documentation stating you are the sole parent (because mom is deceased or you have sole  custody) or a notarized  letter from other parent granting you permission to take child out of country or a court order stating you can take the child out of the country over the objections of other parent.  

Pretty much every country requires this for children under 13. Other countries it is for any child under 18.  So you need the letter for your younger child, the older child depends on the country’s you are visiting.  

The document indicating custody and (if obtainable) a notarized letter from the other parent indicating permission for the minor children in question to travel is necessary to assure the proper permission for the single parent to have the children with them alone.  But ID necessary for boarding the ship and traveling to the ports of call on a US based closed loop itinerary for US citizens is as indicated previously. 

I have not heard of any port of call on this type of itinerary requiring any documentation verifying the custody of the parent traveling with them in order for them to disembark and tour that country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Sorry but children travelling with nay one parent require a passport, closed loop or not.  Plus the letter from non-custodial parent giving permission for children to travel.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Where are you getting this information from - and does it apply to US citizens on a US based closed loop itinerary?

Actually some cruise lines do require passports for children traveling with only one parent.

Honestly I'd recommend that you contact your divorce attorney and ask him/her who to call to get the absolute word on this.  Online advice isn't a legal opinion.  Well, not here anyway.

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

On a US based closed loop cruise there is no other documentation required by any of the port of call countries for entry or excursion tour other than that required to board the ship in the original departure port.  

Without knowing where they are cruising into or out of, it could become a concern - if they are flying into Canada or Mexico where they tend to be a little more strict about these things.  Or if they miss the ship in a port and try to catch up with it in Victoria, BC or Cozumel.  Hence my statement, better to have it and not need than need it and not have it, because you just never know, and if the OP is asking about it.......

JMHO and YMMV

6 minutes ago, Herfnerd said:

Without knowing where they are cruising into or out of, it could become a concern - if they are flying into Canada or Mexico where they tend to be a little more strict about these things.  Or if they miss the ship in a port and try to catch up with it in Victoria, BC or Cozumel.  Hence my statement, better to have it and not need than need it and not have it, because you just never know, and if the OP is asking about it.......

JMHO and YMMV

I agree - but my information to the OP referenced only US citizens traveling on US based closed loop cruises.  They need to come back and confirm their cruise line and itinerary to elicit accurate answers and avoid speculative responses.  As also mentioned by sparks1093 there are cruse lines that require passports regardless of itinerary, which is another reason to confirm the intended cruise line. 

• Like 2

thanks for all the replies. I am sailing on Carnival in March out of Galveston, visiting Cozumel, ocho rios, grand cayman.

I am getting a passport for my kids regardless, just seems easier than carrying around birth certificates, especially since we want to start traveling more beyond just this cruise. The passport part is not what I am concerned about.

As for being single parent, I will get my ex to sign something, and also bring copies of divorce settlement, just in case. I suppose I will also just call Carnival and ask them, as I am guessing they have had guests encounter such issues in the past.

Edited by jrobertson82
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, jrobertson82 said:

thanks for all the replies. I am sailing on Carnival in March out of Galveston, visiting Cozumel, ocho rios, grand cayman.

I am getting a passport for my kids regardless, just seems easier than carrying around birth certificates, especially since we want to start traveling more beyond just this cruise. The passport part is not what I am concerned about.

As for being single parent, I will get my ex to sign something, and also bring copies of divorce settlement, just in case. I suppose I will also just call Carnival and ask them, as I am guessing they have had guests encounter such issues in the past.

Thanks for your update.  Contacting Carnival is by far your best option to understand for sure their requirements, along with the letter from your wife and divorce documentation.  I'm sure it will work out fine - your situation is by no means unique to cruising.

You seem to have the travel ID taken care of.

Enjoy your cruise!