Solo cruiser

drewdrewcruiser

I’m a solo cruiser. You pay for 2, but only 1 port fee and taxes. You only pay gratuity for one. I don’t worry about the single supplement. I look at daily rate, and if it’s in my wheelhouse, then I book it.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 6

Can't add anything to Bury me at sea or crzndeb other than a like.  Do a mock booking with one and then two people per cabin, and you'll see the difference.  

Edited by naxer
addition
  • Like 2

I cruised Carnival solo a lot back when they charged 150% fare for one pax.  When they raised it to 200%, I began to look at other cruise lines.

NCL offers tiny studio cabins on their newer ships at reduced solo rates, and on both NCL and Celebrity one might find reduced rates less than the 200% for inside and some balcony cabins.  I had to search to find them, but when I did, I booked them and found out that there's a lot to be said for cruising more than just one cruise line.

The recommendation to read the solo (not single) CC thread which often mentions solo fare discounts is a good one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, drewdrewcruiser said:

When you cruise solo, do you pay the price for 2 people and the taxes/fees for 1?  Or does a solo cruiser end up getting charged more than for 2 people?  How about tips?  Do you have to pay for 2 people? 

Not sure where you initially posted, but they have moved you to the Solo Cruiser forum....where you want to be, I think. 

First, I disagree with the blanket statement that you pay the price for 2 people.  The single supplement can range from 0 - 100% I never pay 100%. I am on a 20 day repositioning cruise and the single supplement is around 21%.  Fees and taxes are based on 1 person.

As mentioned, on this forum is a 'Post Cruise Line cruise/single supplement bargains here' thread where we share 'deals' we find.

There are websites that list deals for the single traveler, but we are not allowed to provide names, hints or details....understandably.  You can also sign up for your favourite cruise lines' sales emails.  Some cruise lines offer sailings of 0 single supplement.

Google is your friend for finding alternate sites for travel partners or deals.  Personally, I would just cruise within my budget rather than find a partner unknown to travel with. I am not that sociable and just don't think it is necessary in order to cruise.

As mentioned, some ships Norwegian Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean and Cunard at the least offer single cabins. NCL started the trend with studios around a common area. Great for the social types but not always a savings.  It is not uncommon closer to sailing date to find inside or even higher class cabins cheaper than the single studios. Even if not in the studio area, you can participate in the solo traveler activities.

Many 'deals' come up after final payment is due for a cruise.  You may not be able to choose your cabin, but you get a good price and sometimes a better category of cabin that booked.  You most likely won't get the 'free' bonuses but then in my experience, those are built into the price anyway and rarely of interest to me.  If you cruise to drink, have constant wifi, like specialty dining or cruise excursions, then that might be a turn off for you.  This is also when you may be paying 100% single supplement in order to get these bonuses. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Not sure where you initially posted, but they have moved you to the Solo Cruiser forum....where you want to be, I think. 

First, I disagree with the blanket statement that you pay the price for 2 people.  The single supplement can range from 0 - 100% I never pay 100%. I am on a 20 day repositioning cruise and the single supplement is around 21%.  Fees and taxes are based on 1 person.

As mentioned, on this forum is a 'Post Cruise Line cruise/single supplement bargains here' thread where we share 'deals' we find.

There are websites that list deals for the single traveler, but we are not allowed to provide names, hints or details....understandably.  You can also sign up for your favourite cruise lines' sales emails.  Some cruise lines offer sailings of 0 single supplement.

Google is your friend for finding alternate sites for travel partners or deals.  Personally, I would just cruise within my budget rather than find a partner unknown to travel with. I am not that sociable and just don't think it is necessary in order to cruise.

As mentioned, some ships Norwegian Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean and Cunard at the least offer single cabins. NCL started the trend with studios around a common area. Great for the social types but not always a savings.  It is not uncommon closer to sailing date to find inside or even higher class cabins cheaper than the single studios. Even if not in the studio area, you can participate in the solo traveler activities.

Many 'deals' come up after final payment is due for a cruise.  You may not be able to choose your cabin, but you get a good price and sometimes a better category of cabin that booked.  You most likely won't get the 'free' bonuses but then in my experience, those are built into the price anyway and rarely of interest to me.  If you cruise to drink, have constant wifi, like specialty dining or cruise excursions, then that might be a turn off for you.  This is also when you may be paying 100% single supplement in order to get these bonuses. 

Thank you for the helpful response.   My family is going on a group cruise and the particular ship and saildate have already been determined.  No studio cabins on the ship and when I do a mock booking for one, the price comes up as the same as 2 people less 1 person's taxes and fees, which is fine but I kept hearing the term "single supplement" and thought maybe there was an added fee, kind of like a penalty" for cruising solo because that's one less person paying gratuities, buying drinks, etc.  Nice to hear that there is not. 

13 hours ago, drewdrewcruiser said:

Thank you for the helpful response.   My family is going on a group cruise and the particular ship and saildate have already been determined.  No studio cabins on the ship and when I do a mock booking for one, the price comes up as the same as 2 people less 1 person's taxes and fees, which is fine but I kept hearing the term "single supplement" and thought maybe there was an added fee, kind of like a penalty" for cruising solo because that's one less person paying gratuities, buying drinks, etc.  Nice to hear that there is not. 

Glad I could help clarify something for you.  So, consider any pricing over the per person price to be the single supplement. In your case, it is 100%. Sometimes that is still 'worth it' for the cruiser.  There are some cruise lines that offer great itineraries at low prices, so that even at 100%SS, I can't build it cheaper on my own, and if it fits my travel budget, so I am happy.

Have a great trip.

• Like 1

On NCL's site when you go to "deals" they list a few trips with no single supplement.  And traveling last minute if you don't have to fly allows for bargains.  I recently had a 7 night Bermuda cruise on NCL, nice balcony cabin, for less than the price of the studio.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, calliopecruiser said:

What you pay will depend on the individual line and the individual voyage.  Sometimes you'll find sales as low as no increase, but sometimes you'll find an increase higher than double.

That's typically a glitch in the software, like if they're having a "buy one get the second half off" sale.  Since you're only buying one and a single supplement, you end up paying 200% if you just use the regular booking agent, because it's been programmed to give half off to the second passenger, and you never entered a second passenger.

If you call to book it or use a travel agent, they can get you the same price (150%) as if you had two people on the booking.  Another thing you can do is enter "John/Jane Doe" as the second person, but you'll get charged port fees at final payment (which will be refunded when John/Jane is a no-show).  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:41 PM, crzndeb said:

I’m a solo cruiser. You pay for 2, but only 1 port fee and taxes. You only pay gratuity for one. I don’t worry about the single supplement. I look at daily rate, and if it’s in my wheelhouse, then I book it.

Ditto...….I have been cruising solo since 2003 and I look at the total price as well. If it is within my price point and something I want to do then I book it. The single supplement is what it is but it does not come into play when I book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your price point, it is also sometimes worth looking at the luxury lines like Crystal & Silversea who sometimes offer no supplement or as low as 20%.  They also tend to be all-inclusive too.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

luxury lines like Crystal & Silversea who sometimes offer no supplement or as low as 20%.  They also tend to be all-inclusive too.

It's definitely worth running the numbers on (virtually) all-inclusive luxury lines.  Crystal in particular, because their solo supplement on window cabins is 30% on all their voyages with the exception of some very special trips like their Northwest Passage voyage.  It is capacity-controlled at that rate, but I've never paid more than 35%, and I meet some solos on board who have paid less.  Given the inclusions and the great quality of the food and service, I think it's the best deal for solos (in ocean cruising). 

• Thanks 1