Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

We are thinking about a cruise that requests ladies wear 'formal sandals' or equivalent for dinner ---- what are formal sandals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just means not flip flops or beach kind of sandals. 

I find a black strappy low wedge type with a few bits of sparkle work well. Hth

20190720_132616.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of us have problems with our feet swelling in the heat on cruises, plus I have slipped and fallen in "regular" evening sandals.  I switched to slip on style flat or low wedge blingy sandals.   I have black, silver, and taupe.  Here are the silver and taupe ones:

 

 

Sandals.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it would be 'gold' trimmed tan sandals that are flip-flop (thong) design. And I would wear them to lunch too! 

 

Gave up formal heels ten years ago and as carry-on-only I would not pack a pair of shoes only for dinner. But then I probably would not be considering a cruiseline that dictated dress-code down to footwear! (Yes I know even some mainstream lines mention no sandals for men at dinner in the MDR.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can absolutely count on some women wearing something flat and closed-toe - not everyone likes or can wear sandals. I should think something other than rubber flip flops would get you a seat at the table. 😉

 

But yes, do tell which line is dictating women's footwear requirements? ...... Those who have cruised with them can tell you more accurately and put your mind at ease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are my formal sandals for cruises.  I bought them on Amazon a couple of years ago for $35. 

 

 

C79EF7E7-8948-4B28-AC2D-E48B87B5F27E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are formal sandals? Oh my.....they can vary...….some are black, some are in color, some have low heels, some have medium heels, some have high heels...…some maybe be flats...….I would say what sandal you wear would probably be based on what outfit you are wearing.

 

And I would also like to know what cruise line is telling you what shoes to wear......just think it is a very weird thing for them to do. (in my opinion).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get sparkly sandals at Boscovs.  They have all sorts.  I've also seen really nice ones at Beall's in Florida.  I've never been ousted from the dining room, so they must be ok.  I also have Tieks and Rothy's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all --- it's Paul Gauguin --- no flip flops or sandals but 'formal sandals' are ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Thank you all --- it's Paul Gauguin --- no flip flops or sandals but 'formal sandals' are ok.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a funny topic! I mean...I get it. I'm the girl in the house with DH and DS. I feel for my guys...SO MUCH...when we go on cruises sometimes and the requirements for MDR clothing...men have it rough. Compared to women... My guys are hot blooded and appropriate men's wear for the MDR is generally not suited to hot blooded men...not like what women can get away with anyway. My take on "formal sandals" are sandals that wouldn't look "right" at the beach...or the pool...or the park. There are MANY sandals in this world...Birkenstocks are sandals...and while I admit that I have worn them on "chic night" in AK...they would NOT qualify as "formal sandals". It's subjective for sure but I think that the mental projection of how well they would suit in a Michelin star restaurant vs a park is a pretty good indicator of whether or not they are "formal" sandals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Thank you all --- it's Paul Gauguin --- no flip flops or sandals but 'formal sandals' are ok.

Really, the are telling you formal sandals are what they want? I have not cruised with them but I know they have 1 itinerary and it is Tahiti....I would think it would be casual. I had researched them for a cruise a while ago...…..I will look else where .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I feel for my guys...SO MUCH...when we go on cruises sometimes and the requirements for MDR clothing...men have it rough.

So there are still cruise lines that require coat and tie?  From reading here I didn't get the sense that it was REQUIRED.  Suggested but they won't turn you away.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, clo said:

So there are still cruise lines that require coat and tie?  From reading here I didn't get the sense that it was REQUIRED.  Suggested but they won't turn you away.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No it's TRUE there are still lines where jacket required. Cunard and HAL spring to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hal requires men wear jackets? I don't sail with them but I am surprised. I was under the impression most of the mass market lines have stopped those kind of attire requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hal requires men wear jackets? I don't sail with them but I am surprised. I was under the impression most of the mass market lines have stopped those kind of attire requirements.

See the link I shared above.  No jackets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hal requires men wear jackets? I don't sail with them but I am surprised. I was under the impression most of the mass market lines have stopped those kind of attire requirements.

HAL does not require men to wear jackets any more.  

 

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

No it's TRUE there are still lines where jacket required. Cunard and HAL spring to mind. 

 Whilst it may be in the suggested dress code now that they're not required reading Cunard and HAL forums you get the feeling that anyone who doesn't is frowned upon by the 'old' formal guard who detest any dumbing down of standards and they do complain about it on a regular basis. . 

IMO some of the lowering of dress code standards is getting out of hand, i don't want to see peoples flesh on display in the MDR or the buffet at any mealtimes, but now you see beer bellies, flabby armpits, backside eating shorts, breasts barely covered and the like on a regular basis. Whilst this may be fine round the pool please a bit of modesty and decorum. I agree there's no need for jackets my DH only owns the one on his suit so we prefer the smart or country club casual look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

 Whilst it may be in the suggested dress code now that they're not required reading Cunard and HAL forums you get the feeling that anyone who doesn't is frowned upon by the 'old' formal guard who detest any dumbing down of standards and they do complain about it on a regular basis. . 

IMO some of the lowering of dress code standards is getting out of hand, i don't want to see peoples flesh on display in the MDR or the buffet at any mealtimes, but now you see beer bellies, flabby armpits, backside eating shorts, breasts barely covered and the like on a regular basis. Whilst this may be fine round the pool please a bit of modesty and decorum. I agree there's no need for jackets my DH only owns the one on his suit so we prefer the smart or country club casual look. 

Re your second paragraph, I wouldn't describe the examples you give as "lowering of dress code standards."  Rather people who are clueless about what's appropriate in various venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, clo said:

Re your second paragraph, I wouldn't describe the examples you give as "lowering of dress code standards."  Rather people who are clueless about what's appropriate in various venues.

You could be right but it would be nice to see few pulled up about it, but nowadays you're not allowed to comment in case you offend somebody. Never mind they're offending me with their bodies ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

but nowadays you're not allowed to comment in case you offend somebody.

You're not ALLOWED?  By the cruise line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I'm guessing if you're packing special shoes to wear once or twice that you don't travel light 🙂 LOL.  That's why I included the Rothys flat.  Multi-purpose, dressy or not, on the ship or off, any meal.  I anticipate bringing two pairs of shoes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, clo said:

BTW, I'm guessing if you're packing special shoes to wear once or twice that you don't travel light 🙂 LOL.  That's why I included the Rothys flat.  Multi-purpose, dressy or not, on the ship or off, any meal.  I anticipate bringing two pairs of shoes!

Yes, I do ---- I've learned to pack maybe 3 pair of shoes, not including 'formal sandals' --- that's why I wondered what they were & hoped a pair I have would work -- they're not metallic but they do have a wedge heel so I think they'll pass. BTW - we're looking at a PG cruise & you need 'formal sandals' in all of their restaurants every night unless you do their version of the Lido.

 

Edited by 57redbird
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...