Edge (Class) to Alaska.... How long do we need to wait?

Ox Fan Cruiser

Fist you would need to see either a suez transit, a South American seasonor a Panama Canal transit (but maybe the ship iis too wide with the MC on it?).  It will be a loooong time in the future for any of those things. I suppose there is a 4th option, a trip around Africa’s Cape of Good Hope,  but that’s even less likely.

I think they will place one of their ships in Europe and the other in the Caribbean. I see the Apex in Europe next year and the Edge in the Caribbean. Until the 3rd Edge class comes out in 2021, I don't see it in Alaska anytime soon. Although I'm quite happy to see Royal Caribbean's Ovation of the Seas which has a lot of things common with Celebrity's S class ship in Alaska. Definitely looking at that option. 

Nick

1 hour ago, Alakegirl said:

Fist you would need to see either a suez transit, a South American seasonor a Panama Canal transit (but maybe the ship iis too wide with the MC on it?).  It will be a loooong time in the future for any of those things. I suppose there is a 4th option, a trip around Africa’s Cape of Good Hope,  but that’s even less likely.

Likely too tall to pass under Bridge of the Americas on Pacific side.  EM

I would not be surprised to see one of Celebrity's ships, perhaps a future E-Class, dedicated to China/Asia.  Royal Caribbean has done this already with new builds (Spectrum and Quantum).  Perhaps an Asian based ship could do some Alaska itineraries at some point.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:01 AM, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Any official word as to when a Edge class ship will Summer in Alaska? I will settle for unofficial word too.

Unofficial guess here. It took more than six years for Alaska to get a Solstice class ship. I am pretty sure they had built all but Reflection before they sent Solstice to Alaska. It might have even been later than that. I wouldn't hold your breath. 

• Like 2

When I think of the Edge and the outdoor area with little or no covered areas for rain and drizzle. We cruised on the Edge last March. We were at the Retreat sun deck when it rained. Lunch tables at the bar do not have a solid cover. Staff were sweeping water. Maybe drains not in the right places. Aft bar Sunset seemed exposed to the elements along with Roof Top Garden and Grill. All the live plants outside. How well are they going to hold up when temps can get down to 55° at night in Alaska. No it does not rain in Alaska all the time. I'm thinking it was 80° in Alaska the other week. The Magic Carpet has a cover on it.

The S Class ships had to be modified after build to get under the bridges in San Francisco and Vancouver BC.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Why would you want to pay double to see Alaska?  Edge prices are insanely high.

Prices are starting to come down. We loved the ship and booked the 2nd day they went on sale. Before the fares skyrocketed.