Smoking on the ship

Mammafontz

1 hour ago, maitlandmom said:

I got off the Summit on Sunday.  I was in a Celebrity Suite on deck nine . Before sailaway from Bermuda I saw my nieghbor two cabins down smoking . I called guest services and reported the cabin number (i went to the hallway and checked) . Guest Services called me back about 10 minutes later to report that the room steward checked with the guest who denied smoking . OF COURSE . HE DID .   So unless you can get a photo they do nothing

Next time request security check it out. IMO that's not the stateroom attendants job. At least you got the attention of the idiot that was smoking. Hopefully for you that was the first and last time.

14 hours ago, sportsmum said:

On the Summit we entered our CC room and it reeked of smoke. I stayed outside in the hallway and husband went in and onto the balcony thinking opening the door would air it out. On the deck was a tin FULL of butts. Not only was the room smoked in but steward was not cleaning after passengers departed.  Called for the HD but we were told he was busy. We were told the steward would clean it and they tried an air purifier. Steward stood around talking with a cloth in hand until I demanded HD. Room switched, beautiful bouquet of flowers on formal night.

If anyone else was wondering about smoking areas on the ships:

Celebrity Constellation
• Deck 11 Forward port side
• Deck 10 Midship portside
• Deck 4 Port side forward
Celebrity Infinity
• Deck 10 Port Side Mid Ship only (outside of midship elevators)
• Deck 4 Port Side Mid Ship & Mast Bar port side
Celebrity Millennium 
• Deck 10 Aft Port Side at the Sunset Bar
• Deck 10 Port Side open deck from the Solarium to the Midship
• Deck 4 Port side

Celebrity Summit
• Deck 11 Mast Bar at the open deck on port side
• Deck 10 Pool Deck Mid ship portside
• Deck 4 Open Deck on port side from Mid ship going to Forward
Celebrity Solstice 
• Deck 15 Sunset Bar Aft Port Side (this is the only cigar and pipe smoking area on the vessel)
• Deck 14 Starboard side next to the Mast Bar
• Deck 12 Aft Port Side
• Deck 5 Port Side
Celebrity Equinox
• Deck 15 Aft Port Side next to the Sunset Bar
• Deck 12 Port side Midship
• Deck 5 Portside Midship and Forward
Celebrity Eclipse 
• Deck 15 Aft Port side next to the Sunset Bar
• Deck 5 Port side Midship & Forward
Celebrity Silhouette
• Deck 15 Aft Port Side next to the Sunset Bar
• Deck 5 Port side Midship and Forward
Celebrity Reflection
• Deck 15 Aft Port side next to the Sunset Bar
• Deck 15 Starboard side next to the Mast Bar
• Deck 5 Portside, Midship, and Forward
Celebrity Edge
• Deck 15 Sunset Bar Aft
• Deck 5 Eden outdoor Port side exterior seating section which is under an overhang. Guest can access Smoking Area from the outside deck, or from inside Eden
**Please note these are the only two locations smoking will be permitted onboard the Celebrity Edge**

I've been following Edge pretty closely.  Reported areas differ from what you quoted.  It's been reported that the Deck 5 area was closed while sailing in US but open in Europe.  There's also been a reported covered area just above the pool deck by the Mast Grill in the US, not sure if they closed it when they reopened the covered area on Deck 5.

Currently on Silhouette.

We were chatting to our butler on the balcony and we all became aware of the smell of cigarette smoke. The butler leaned over the balcony and said he could see a man smoking on the balcony above. We said that we had noticed it before but not done anything about it - our word against his etc. He said he would have it dealt with.

It will be interesting to see if it happens again.

6 hours ago, OriginalBoat said:

I've been following Edge pretty closely.  Reported areas differ from what you quoted.  It's been reported that the Deck 5 area was closed while sailing in US but open in Europe.  There's also been a reported covered area just above the pool deck by the Mast Grill in the US, not sure if they closed it when they reopened the covered area on Deck 5.

Oh no! I hope it's correct for the Connie! This was copied and pasted from the 'chat' I had on the celebrity website asking where the smoking areas are. darn darn darn.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, citronella said:

As neither cigarette smoke or perfume contain allergens you can’t be allergic to them. 

To start I do not smoke and I do not care if people smoke or not. But I do have for a question for the people that say it is inconsiderate to smoke on their balcony.  Do you drive?¿?  You then past multiple homes and people on your drive.

So what about the people you pass on each drive.That your pollution effects health, dirt, noise, etc.

I am not against Driving or Smoking.  Just saying you may have habits that affect others.

Edited by moda cruise

42 minutes ago, moda cruise said:

To start I do not smoke and I do not care if people smoke or not. But I do have for a question for the people that say it is inconsiderate to smoke on their balcony.  Do you drive?¿?  You then past multiple homes and people on your drive.

So what about the people you pass on each drive.That your pollution effects health, dirt, noise, etc.

I am not against Driving or Smoking.  Just saying you may have habits that affect others.

You think smoking on a balconies not is inconsiderate? Difficult to believe you are not a smoker. Not only is it inconsiderate, it is a safety hazard. Celebrity does not allow it. That is the key point whether you smoke or not, or care or not, Celebrity does not allow it. If I smell the  smoke or see someone smoking from my balcony I will inform security because I do care. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moda cruise said:

You can't be serious!! 🙄 Absolutely no comparison! 

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You think smoking on a balconies not is inconsiderate? Difficult to believe you are not a smoker. Not only is it inconsiderate, it is a safety hazard. Celebrity does not allow it. That is the key point whether you smoke or not, or care or not, Celebrity does not allow it. If I smell the  smoke or see someone smoking from my balcony I will inform security because I do care. 

Im not a smoker. I did not comment on Celebrity Rules. Safety Hazard not true. It is all about Social norms to conform.

I do not care if you turn people in or not. people are always unhappy about one thing or the other, Smoking,Perfume, Saving Poolside Chairs, Children doing what children do, lines,tips,food,on and on.Have fun its a Cruise.I do not let things ruin it for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, moda cruise said:

Absolutely not. Sitting on our balcony next to a smoker and smelling the stench isn't the same as a drive by. Obviously you can't seem to comprehend that. We enjoy all our cruises to the max. "If" we had to report a smoker on their balcony smoking, good. Better they are pissed off than us. We paid for a nonsmoking balcony. The smoker didn't pay for a smoking balcony., 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Absolutely not. Sitting on our balcony next to a smoker and smelling the stench isn't the same as a drive by. Obviously you can't seem to comprehend that. 

OK you are right, one is polluting one or two people, and the other is polluting blocks and blocks of people.You are right Comprehension may be a problem. Forgive me for my lack of insight 

Edited by moda cruise

1 hour ago, moda cruise said:

Ok so I won't bring my car and drive it around the ship as long as others don't smoke on their balconies.  Deal? 😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, moda cruise said:

OK you are right, one is polluting one or two people, and the other is polluting blocks and blocks of people.You are right Comprehension may be a problem. Forgive me for my lack of insight 

You still don't get it. It's not even about pollution, fire hazard or whatever. For us it's the stench and more importantly it's against Celebrity's policy to smoke in unauthorized smoking areas. Pipes, cigarettes, cigars and vaping.  All the same.  If someone was vaping on their balcony we'd  turn them in. Even though I will admit some vapes smell good. I smoked for 26 years and quit cold turkey 28 years ago. The only choice smokers have is to quit or not. Not choosing where they can smoke anymore. Kudos to Celebrity for their strict smoking policy. 

Edited by davekathy

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You still don't get it. It's not even about pollution, fire hazard or whatever. For us it's the stench. Pipe cigarettes or cigar.  All the same.  If someone was vaping on their balcony we'd  turn them in. Even though I will admit some vapes smell good. I smoked for 26 years and quit cold turkey 28 years ago. The only choice smokers have is to quit or not. Not choosing where they can smoke anymore. Kudos to Celebrity for their strict smoking policy. 

I get it. But do not let it ruin your cruise. I read on this topic people turning smokers in to 4 or 5 levels of Cruise bosses. Not even sure where the smoke was coming from. Time lost get on with your Cruise. How much time do spend on the Balcony?¿ let someone else turn them in. From all the comments I have seen 6 or 7 cruisers will be glad to.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:02 AM, OriginalBoat said:

That area was open on our Jan cruise... nice area, some shade, some breeze great views...dh  enjoyed it and I even sat with him ... it did not stink like other areas usually do!  He will be disappointed if it is no longer available!

3 hours ago, moda cruise said:

I get it. But do not let it ruin your cruise. I read on this topic people turning smokers in to 4 or 5 levels of Cruise bosses. Not even sure where the smoke was coming from. Time lost get on with your Cruise. How much time do spend on the Balcony?¿ let someone else turn them in. From all the comments I have seen 6 or 7 cruisers will be glad to.

Of course we would not let it ruin our cruise. That is why we would report it until it stops. We will ruin the rule violators cruise if they don’t stop. You can bet on that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moda cruise said:

No you don't. We haven't had the experience, yet on Celebrity. If we did it wouldn't ruin our cruise because we would make damn sure the violator was snuffed out. Time spent on our balcony would have absolutely nothing to do with it. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:24 PM, Alakegirl said:

The problem with trying to make the steward the “enforcer” is that he or she is depending on a tip from the offender. Guest relations or security would be better at dealing with the smoker

On 7/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, Mammafontz said:

We did.  I reported it to the room steward.    I didn’t think about Security.  Next time I will call Guest relations. 

But the room steward could have notified guest relations on behalf of the OP.....

On 7/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We were on a cruise recently and a lady we met from Australia told a story of being caught smoking on her balcony.   She was fined $500 and threatened with being kicked off the ship if she repeated.    She became a quick believer in following rules.

Wow!

That policy seems to be effective 🙂

30 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Wow!

That policy seems to be effective 🙂

It's amazing how much more effective policies are when they are actually enforced.

By the way, your hometown is one of my favorite places! I really like Denali Brewing Company, too.

• Like 1