Celebrity excursions and restrictions? Do they check?

tallnthensome

Looking at some X excursions and some say maximum of 76 inches. Do they really care, check , and deny people for these restriction on height and weight on excursions? I'm 6'7" so above the 76 inch max ..... Does that really matter or is that BS and nothing to worry about? 

Most excursions are run by a private company and if they have placed a restriction, in this case, on height, they didn’t do it arbitrarily. I assume the height restriction is for something such as High-lining or a sub. Yes, if you are an inch or so taller than the limit, you’ll not be decapitated but it’s there’s a reason and you might find yourself restricted on taking part after departing for the excursion. 

There were threads earlier on excursion age limits which obviously is arbitrary but we are our own worse enemy by signing up for tours we can’t take part in due physical limitations which very well limit everyone’s participation. I think we’ve all been on strenuous tours that someone with very limited mobility insisted on trying and couldn’t. Sometimes they sit on a bus, a few times they stopped the group from enjoying the full experience. 

But in this case, I’d assume (that word) there’s a specific reason. 

Den

• Thanks 1

They do adhere to some restrictions such as age, my DH could not book a snorkel excursion even though he is fitter and a stronger swimmer than I. Many excursions involving flights have a weight restriction and they do check from what I've seen posted and in conversation. 

What kind of tour does this height restriction relate to? We've been on a helicopter tour in Alaska where everyone needed to weigh in to balance weight in the copter and people over 240 lbs had to pay double. You may want to go to the boards for the region you are cruising, then post the specific tour you are considering to see if anyone has been on that specific tour. This way they can tell you if there is a height concern and if the height limit was enforced. It could be something like a cave walk with a low ceiling and the limit is to minimize liability for the tour company. 

They definitely don’t allow you to book if there is an age restriction. We tried to book a bus & winery tour ( nothing extreme!!) and the max age was 75 so they wouldn’t let us book as my parents are over 75 but totally fit. With something like height, that’s a little different as they don’t have hat info on your reservation. I would maybe contact Celebrity and ask. 

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Looking at some X excursions and some say maximum of 76 inches. Do they really care, check , and deny people for these restriction on height and weight on excursions? I'm 6'7" so above the 76 inch max ..... Does that really matter or is that BS and nothing to worry about? 

If would have helped a lot if you'd just stated what excursion it was. Cruise excursions are run by outside contractors. All will have insurance limitations that they have to abide by to reduce their risk of  liability. So yes, they will check because they don't want to run the risk of something untoward happening and their insurance refusing coverage.

All you can do is check around for an independent provider who doesn't have the same restrictions.

Edited by mom says

Have to agree with previous comments regarding age restrictions, I tried to book an excursion on the Flam railway including a walk at the top, it said only for those under 65 years old and I'm 67 (although a fit 67), when I went to book it my details had been automatically greeted out

The upper age limits do seem entirely arbitrary to me but I presume they are based on insurance claims.  I do routinely book excursions with medical restrictions when I feel the impact on my specific issues is my problem not theirs (lots of active excursions warn about back / neck problems, pregnancy, heart problems etc.)  But I also accept that should anything happen (and it never has) I would be outside their insurance and, quite possibly, my own!.  Height - if you are significantly above the height limit - and OP does appear to be -it is going to be spotted.  Weight - depends on the excursion.  We did find a Kyaking trip in Dubrovnick which X put a weight limit on; but when we went to the tour operator directly they were very rude about as they made no such restriction.

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Even if they don’t check, I would want to know why...We did a small group tour in St. Lucia where anyone over 5’6” had knees under their chin, especially if they were in the fold down side seat. My 6’ husband’s legs needed to expand into my part of the seat. It is perhaps as well I am small! The fact that every seat was taken didn’t help.

Re weight, this can have implications for aircraft, life vests on boat trips....It can also be an issue for the safety of the staff providing the activity if they are required, for example, to guide you on/off a small craft.

The general age bans are concerning. They are very restrictive for fit older guests. I do wonder if you did sign a waiver and go if then your insurance company could refuse to pay medical costs etc if you did fall, break a limb. They could technically argue you had taken part in an unsuitable activity.

I always am amazed at the list general physical limitations too, the “Not suitable for guests with back, neck, knee, shoulder....conditions”....It doesn’t leave many guests left wanting to book tours....

I think it is time Celebrity got a bit ahead of this game and starting adding more information re restrictions. For example, if the OP knew the height restriction was about a neck injury risk in a vehicle type then that is fair enough, if it is a random ‘ceiling level’ then it seems unfair...

I also think Celebrity could start looking at expanding the range of activities suitable for all guests regardless of age or physical challenges....To be a truly ‘inclusive’ cruise line this should be a priority...

I’ve never seen such restrictions before and we have sailed many lines including MSC, Princess, Holland, etc .... I’ve seen weight limits but too old? Too tall? Too short? I mean, I know that all line’s have many excursions that are run by private companies and have restrictions but I’ve never had to check boxes on their websites about body type, age, weight and such like Celebrity does. 

21 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I’ve never seen such restrictions before and we have sailed many lines including MSC, Princess, Holland, etc .... I’ve seen weight limits but too old? Too tall? Too short? I mean, I know that all line’s have many excursions that are run by private companies and have restrictions but I’ve never had to check boxes on their websites about body type, age, weight and such like Celebrity does. 

Maybe X (and/or its' vendor) is serious about the restrictions?

As stated before there are ways 'around' restrictions, which do not involve X, though not if OBC is involved.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

I also think Celebrity could start looking at expanding the range of activities suitable for all guests regardless of age or physical challenges....To be a truly ‘inclusive’ cruise line this should be a priority...

It would be hard to find anything but a bus tour where people didn't get off to be listed as inclusive. In most places there are steps and often uneven surfaces, usually a bit of walking as well. Unless you are in a 'modern country' it would be just about impossible. Seems to be a few exclusions in the description of every excursion. It is all about liability.

• Thanks 1

We had attempted to book a snorkel tour in Grand Cayman but were locked out due to DH being over 65. He is PADI certified, we both snorkel and I'm an active member of our local gym. Speaking with the Shorex staff on the Edge, we were told their risk management team and lawyers, looked at all their tours and set the age restrictions a few years ago. So the staff suggested a bus tour.....as I was watching some seriously out of shape people going on our desired tour. Once on shore, I was able to secure a snorkel trip with a local vendor, at half the price as Celebrity's and we also went to Stingray City. 

Darcy