Applying for TSA pre-check and I have questions

Lionesss

The travel agency that we transfer our bookings to is hosting a TSA pre-check Marathon in August.

For $85 it will give you this offer for 5 years.  They are hosting the TSA to come in and providing the space.

Question?

How does your local airport TSA screen-er know if you are pre approved?

I guess I am asking when you book your airlines, do you tell them you have "the number" that provides TSA pre - check?

I have never seen a spot on line requesting it-------- to put it on an airline ticket.

No one at the luggage checkin for airline carrier ever asked for one.

Or do you just get in line and give them the number.

Prior to this we often had TSA pre check on our tickets, at no cost to us, I guess lucky.

Thanks ahead of time.

For $15  more you can get Global entry which will give you both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry - expedited immigration on your return home.  

Global Entry fee is covered by many credit cards 

Google is your friend here - many articles written comparing benefits and what credit cards cover the $100 fee.

And yes, you were lucky to get TSA Pre ( we did, too, before we got GE) but the TSA is supposedly cutting down on that for non- members so YMMV.

Edited by the mice
Add info
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

How does your local airport TSA screen-er know if you are pre approved?

You need to include that approval number into your FF account information for all of the airlines you use.  At check-in, you will find a notation of "TSA Pre-Check" on the BP - that's what the first screener looks for.  That first screener is at the start of the entry into the Pre-Check line.

Once at the document check, where they look at your ID, your BP is electronically scanned to confirm that you actually do have the Pre-Check approval.  Then it's to the physical security check.

Note that there is no guarantee that you will get PC, as the security protocols supposedly will "randomly" require trusted travelers to go through standard screening.

• Like 1

You get what is called a "Known Traveler Number", which you can enter either in your frequent flier profile or your reservation itself. You won't see a spot asking for a TSA Pre number, you'll see it asking for a Known Traveler Number.

Your boarding pass is coded with this information, so when you show up at airport security and they scan your boarding pass, it'll tell them that you're approved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

You need to include that approval number into your FF account information for all of the airlines you use.  At check-in, you will find a notation of "TSA Pre-Check" on the BP - that's what the first screener looks for.  That first screener is at the start of the entry into the Pre-Check line.

Once at the document check, where they look at your ID, your BP is electronically scanned to confirm that you actually do have the Pre-Check approval.  Then it's to the physical security check.

Note that there is no guarantee that you will get PC, as the security protocols supposedly will "randomly" require trusted travelers to go through standard screening.

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

You get what is called a "Known Traveler Number", which you can enter either in your frequent flier profile or your reservation itself. You won't see a spot asking for a TSA Pre number, you'll see it asking for a Known Traveler Number.

Your boarding pass is coded with this information, so when you show up at airport security and they scan your boarding pass, it'll tell them that you're approved.

Thank you for the quick responses, I really  appreciate you taking the time.

Now we usually only fly, Delta or United.

Where is this "BP" you are talking about?

TY

2 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Thank you for the quick responses, I really  appreciate you taking the time.

Now we usually only fly, Delta or United.

Where is this "BP" you are talking about?

TY

Boarding pass

17 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Boarding pass

Okay TY

But I am still perplexed.

1.  where do I add it to my profile?

2.  and how does it transfer to my boarding pass?

Like I am missing a step here.

Thanks

(Yup, I'm old)

🙂

Your FF profile for Delta et al will have a place for you to put in the relevant data (trusted traveler number, birthdate, etc).  Each airline has it in a different place - poke around and you will find it.

Once that is logged into the airline system, the process is automated and you need do nothing else.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Your FF profile for Delta et al will have a place for you to put in the relevant data (trusted traveler number, birthdate, etc).  Each airline has it in a different place - poke around and you will find it.

Once that is logged into the airline system, the process is automated and you need do nothing else.

Thank you so much.!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes sense.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Safe travels

Since you're in the north, if you're close to a major Canadian port of entry you can get Nexus for $50 instead of the $85 or $100.  It gives you all the benefits of Global Entry and Pre Check along with expedited entry to Canada for half the price of Global Entry.  The application process is identical except you need to have a Canadian interview.

Since you're in the north, if you're close to a major Canadian port of entry you can get Nexus for $50 instead of the $85 or $100.  It gives you all the benefits of Global Entry and Pre Check along with expedited entry to Canada for half the price of Global Entry.  The application process is identical except you need to have a Canadian interview.

Not quite correct. You can expedite customs at the Canadian/US border only with Nexus. If you're flying in from any country other than Canada Nexus does you no good. Global Entry works at all US customs and some other exceptions - for example GE does me no good flying into Canada but it lets me go through the expedited security and customs flying out of Canada to the US.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Not quite correct. You can expedite customs at the Canadian/US border only with Nexus. If you're flying in from any country other than Canada Nexus does you no good. Global Entry works at all US customs and some other exceptions - for example GE does me no good flying into Canada but it lets me go through the expedited security and customs flying out of Canada to the US.

Well, I've never flown from Canada but I've used Global Entry Kiosks when entering the US from other countries.  Nexus is actually administered by US Customs and Border Protection.  You get the same Trusted Traveler number and it attaches to your passport the same was as Global Entry.  The card is identical except for the name.  

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus#

Well, I've never flown from Canada but I've used Global Entry Kiosks when entering the US from other countries.  Nexus is actually administered by US Customs and Border Protection.  You get the same Trusted Traveler number and it attaches to your passport the same was as Global Entry.  The card is identical except for the name.    

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus#

Well that's interesting because every Global Entry kiosk I've seen requires scanning your passport and fingerprints but as far as I was told Nexus used the card and retina scan and were on different kiosks. I definitely remember when I got GE they stated it was only for going between US and Canada plus precheck. And I can't use Nexus kiosks because GE doesn't do the retina scan.  

ETA clicked on the link and it was updated in 2015. I first got GE before then and I distinctly remember it being Nexus kiosks only because that was a deciding factor for choosing GE. They must have changed it in 2015 to let Nexus use GE kiosks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep, they do the finger print scan now.  When I applied all the Canadian agent did was basically pass me off to the US agent.  They asked the questions and did the fingerprint scan for the id.  I've used my passport and fingerprint at the Global Entry kiosk without there being a bit of difference.

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

One quick clarification for the OP.... as Flyertalker said, you enter your known traveler number (KTN) in your airline profile.  After that, just make sure that when you book a flight on that airline, you enter your airline FF number in the reservation.  When you do that, THEN the automated process takes over and will automatically attach your KTN to the reservation. 

Okay TY

1.  where do I add it to my profile?

Thanks

(Yup, I'm old)

[emoji846]

If you aren't logged into, or don't have, a frequent flyer profile on a particular airline, you can also add your Known Traveler Number (KTN) to individual reservations. This can (generally) be done before or after booking, in the area for additional passenger information.

If you can't find where to add it online, you can also call the airline to do it.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

One quick clarification for the OP.... as Flyertalker said, you enter your known traveler number (KTN) in your airline profile.  After that, just make sure that when you book a flight on that airline, you enter your airline FF number in the reservation.  When you do that, THEN the automated process takes over and will automatically attach your KTN to the reservation. 

Thanks for the final point.

How old are you? My in laws don't have Pre Check but when ever they fly their tickets are always marked Pre Check and we think it's because of their age. They are in their 70's. They fly frequently so I'm not sure why they don't just pay for the Pre Check.

I am 62.

And in the last 2 years we have flown 5 times.

When we fly non-stop (Disney) Cleveland to Orlando, we never get TSA pre-check.

When we have cruised 3 times Cleveland to Fll.  we have always gotten TSA pre check (again, random) 

Wondering if there is a method to freebies??? or should I say, the TSA pre-check.

Edited by Lionesss

On 7/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, Lionesss said:

Okay TY

Thanks

(Yup, I'm old)

🙂

When your boarding pass is issued, this will appear on it automatically:

TSA Pre✓®

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I am 62.

And in the last 2 years we have flown 5 times.

When we fly non-stop (Disney) Cleveland to Orlando, we never get TSA pre-check.

When we have cruised 3 times Cleveland to Fll.  we have always gotten TSA pre check (again, random) 

Wondering if there is a method to freebies??? or should I say, the TSA pre-check.

They seem to use the 'random' free Pre-Check more in circumstances when the TSA anticipates general security screening lines will be long and they're trying to load balance the lines a little more. Before I signed up for the program, I rarely got free Pre from my wee local airport but would get it 2/3rds of the time departing from larger airports like Boston, Seattle, or Denver. 

As for Pre-Check vs. Global Entry, there are a lot more sign up points for Pre than there are for Global Entry, which largely requires you to be in a big city or hub airport. The nearest place where we could sign up for GE was a four hour drive one way and they're open limited hours (and  I've also had issues trying to get a possible GE interview lined up while at one of those big connecting hubs) while Pre sign-up was available an hour down the beach-apparently the same company that does background checks for hazmat truckers also can do Pre screenings and they've got offices in a lot of smaller areas. 

Note that Pre participation is at the airline level and while most airlines common in America these days, even Allegiant, participate, a few still do not.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

And it's the airline that you buy the ticket from that matters in terms of Pre participation because it's the entity that has to share electronic traveler information with the TSA and not the operating carrier. 

On 7/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, fluffybunny22 said:

How old are you? My in laws don't have Pre Check but when ever they fly their tickets are always marked Pre Check and we think it's because of their age. They are in their 70's. They fly frequently so I'm not sure why they don't just pay for the Pre Check.

In their 70s, not only did my parents never get Pre-Check, they were very frequently selected for the extra pat-down.  They always believed that was so TSA could not be accused of profiling.

Pre-check is a great investment 

make sure your airline reservation matches the name on the document you use for identification when signing up for pre-check.    For example, if you use your passport and it has your middle name - then your airline boarding pass has to match it .  

I had purchased my tickets for a recent trip before I received my Pre-check number -- I simply called the airline and they added the known traveler number and my middle name to the reservation.    Very easy and the airline must have access to a validation system because the person on the phone said, here it is, I see it.  It was done in a minute!

Great that your TA is hosting this - I had to make an appointment at a pre-check authorized center for fingerprinting.  Didn't get Global for that reason - location for interview wasn't convenient and my international travel is limited.

Once you enter it online, you'll see it's very easy and you'll be glad you did it.   Remember, you're not old - 60 is the new 40

Enjoy your trip! 

On 7/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, FlyerTalker said:

However, that will not change any existing bookings. You would have to go into that booking and add the KTN manually.

• Like 1