what would you have done?

cthrn27

On 8/4/2019 at 5:07 PM, Organized Chaos said:

While that is an option, it is not another passenger's responsibility to act as ship's security. Besides, if someone is willing to break a rule as important as smoking rules, especially someone who's willing to smuggle a substance that's illegal in most states, chances are very good that asking them to stop will do no good. Plus the chance it'll set them off and make the situation worse.

As bad as it may be, your son's condition does not give you or him the right to smuggle it on board. And it certainly does not give him the right to impact someone else's enjoyment of their cruise were he to use it. If he can't get through a cruise without using it, then a cruise may not be the best choice for him. But if he does choose to smuggle it on board and use it, he shouldn't be surprised if he's reported.

YES!!!! Agree 100%

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, M&T ReadyToCruiseAgain said:

We tried to ignore the smoke on our balcony from the cabin next to us, but after a couple of days I called guest services. They sent security to our cabin and I invited the officer out to our balcony and showed him the evidence. No more smoke after that. 

PA280475.JPG

What a bunch  of amateurs!

If they were professionals they would know they should have used some wet toilet paper as a makeshift ashtray and then threw it out in a public trash bin somewhere else on the ship.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

Star Princess fire March 2006 located@: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Princess

image1439165.jpg

120413014-6b08797209-z.jpg

PICT0008-grid-6x2.jpg

😨

thank you for posting this.....I know I have read at least twice about fire on board believed to be caused by smoking......why should my vacation be ruined because someone can't follow the rules.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coevan said:

very old news, never proven to be caused by cigarettes. 

Only to the extent that it could have been caused by cigar instead of a cigarette or a pipe, or a match used to light a cigarette as opposed to the cigarette itself.  

But what is absolutely known is it was not an electrical fire and began on the balcony and was not arson. The most likely cause was a cigarette,   

To the haters. There are NO meds, with thc or without, that can help my son. You think we have not tried EVERYTHING? How dare you! When my son first became ill, and we were told that there was NOTHING in western medicine that could help him, that there was not research on his type of seizures becaue it is so rare, that they ussually commit suicide within a very short period of time [the neurologist explain that it is the most 'excruciating pain humanly possible"] that his thalamus [that's the part of your brain, that, when someone pokes you in the eye, tells you that it hurts] sends messages to his entire body that he is, according to the head neurologist at Childrens' Hospital in Denver, that his pains [he calls the "the burns"] are more than 100 times worse than being tazed, that caused us to spend over half a million dollars going all over the world trying desperatrly to find relief for him, bought every obviously fraudulent lotion and potion "just in case". You have NO idea what it is to live a nightmare for years!But you can all me on it!

To the hater who said to not bring him on a cruise; I live in Colorado. Even in Colorado [and my son was second minor in Colorado to get the card] it is illegal to smoke mmj in a moving car. So, guess what, we allow him to smoke in the car [he mostly does wax now, which does not smoke, but, regardless] even though it is illegal, because if we did not, he would not be allowed to go anywhere, anytime. So yeah, we will be bringing hin on a cruise.

I am so disgusted with the people who made the evil, hurtful comments. And, I stated we were not going to bring any. And yeah, there will be people, when they hear my son, both guests and crewmembers, who will come to his aid.

My son and I are both Autistic, and since you are probably one of the people who "knows all about autism, you know someone," then you probably know that our lifespan is LESS than 30 years as long as the average neurotypical.[non Autistic] There are several reasons, the most common is suicide. So, as an Autistic, my sons' chances of suicide are way high anyway, add to that a disease that causes it's victims to almost always kill themselves, you really think that I would pay heed to any  person who would pass judgement on my decision to do what is right for my son. No! 

BTW, off the subject-but not really- I truly do not care what Carnival does about the butter controversy.

Edited by vicky3vicky

If your son is truly that unhealthy, he shouldn’t cruise, cruise ship medical centers are not ERs.

Furthermore I would suggest you CREASE violating the law by allowing him to use pot in a car.  It is a crime for which he could get arrested.  While in jail he might not get treatment.  This would be worse for him than briefly going without. 

15 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

To the haters. There are NO meds, with thc or without, that can help my son. You think we have not tried EVERYTHING? How dare you!

No one accused you of not trying everything you could to help your son.

16 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

To the hater who said to not bring him on a cruise;

If you're referring to me, what I said was, if he can't make it through a cruise without using a prohibited (not to mention illegal) substance, then a cruise probably isn't the best choice for him. That's just reality. My mom spent several years with pretty big health issues and the last several months of her life in great pain because of her conditions, which I won't go into detail here because it's no one's business. It made her quite immobile and, even though she would've loved to try it, the amount of standing and walking you have to do on a cruise would've made it a very poor choice for her. We knew it and she knew it. She wanted to do a lot of things that she couldn't do. As unfair as it was, that was just her reality.

27 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

it is illegal to smoke mmj in a moving car. So, guess what, we allow him to smoke in the car

This is what confuses me. You're willing to break the law in regards to letting him smoke in the car because he can't go anywhere without it. And you've said you've considered smuggling it on board. So even though you say you won't take it, signs do point to the strong possibility that you might. That's why you've gotten the responses that you have, not because we're cruel and heartless. The point I made before was, if you choose to do something that goes against the rules of the ship, don't be surprised if it's reported. My personal feeling about this whole thread topic is, if anyone chooses to break the rules and someone reports you, there's no one to blame but yourself.

23 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

you really think that I would pay heed to any  person who would pass judgement on my decision to do what is right for my son. No! 

No one is being a hater towards you or as nasty as you claim. You posted all that you have to a public cruise forum. There's always a chance you get responses you may not like.

• Like 2

Silly me! I was hoping to appeal to the empathy people of your neurology are known for. As ussual, I do not see it. You know, for DECADES, only until recently, Autistics were "known" to be absent of empathy. That's what the "experts" believed and taught. Newer studies have proven that, in fact we have greater effective empathy [your pain in my heart and I would give anything to help] but less cognitive empathy [ knowing the "appropriate things to say or do"] 

Who has the highest cognitive empathy? Psychopaths. They don't care but they are great at appearing that they do, as it serves their purpose. One thing that psychopaths are known for, is standing by the rules if it will cause others to feel pain. It is your right after all, and though I am totally unfamiliar with it [another one of my "deficits"] many find Schaadenfreude fun.

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

It is the equivalent of open container of alcohol.  You can get arrested for that.

No it's not the same, i live here and have police officers as friends, misdemeanor like a moving violation. The testing for nano grams is suspicious at best. Police have better things to do, 2 DUI's (alcohol) is mandatory jail time. 

Organized Chaos; You just posted that people were reacting the way the have been because  there was a small possibility that I might smuggle mmj onboard. I said that we would not smuggle it onboard. If I was going to smuggle it onboard I would say so. I would not lie. The vast majority of Autistic people, myself included, consider lying, not only one of the most heinous actions and one that is generally illogical, but one that causes many of us extreme physical pain as well. [as it should]

You also said no  one was being as hateful as I think. There are very few things more monstrous  to an Autistic than implying a good person is a liar[therefore a terrible person] 

12 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

There are very few things more monstrous  to an Autistic or anyone than implying a good person is a liar[therefore a terrible person] 

Unless it is the thinly veiled reference/description of a psychopath. 

2 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

Silly me! I was hoping to appeal to the empathy people of your neurology are known for. As ussual, I do not see it. You know, for DECADES, only until recently, Autistics were "known" to be absent of empathy. That's what the "experts" believed and taught. Newer studies have proven that, in fact we have greater effective empathy [your pain in my heart and I would give anything to help] but less cognitive empathy [ knowing the "appropriate things to say or do"] 

Who has the highest cognitive empathy? Psychopaths. They don't care but they are great at appearing that they do, as it serves their purpose. One thing that psychopaths are known for, is standing by the rules if it will cause others to feel pain. It is your right after all, and though I am totally unfamiliar with it [another one of my "deficits"] many find Schaadenfreude fun.

Let me express my sympathy for you and your son. I don't know why The Americans With Disabilities Act would not apply to your son. Oh wait, it's because somehow pot has a terrible stigma. You have probably been told that there is only anecdotal evidence that pot would help your son's condition, no real research evidence. And then you unfortunately learn that the research that could prove (or disprove) pot as a cure is prohibited.

You have my sympathy, but unfortunately if caught on a cruise you are going to be in big trouble.

Assuming your tale of woe has any truth to it, quite frankly it is not my concern.  I am going to put the health of my children’s lungs ahead of your son’s issues.

But I doubt your tale is honest.  For example your claim that the majority of autistic people don’t lie is a lie.  Also there is no medical reason smoking would work but chewable would not, other than a possible placebo effect. 

24 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Organized Chaos; You just posted that people were reacting the way the have been because  there was a small possibility that I might smuggle mmj onboard. I said that we would not smuggle it onboard. If I was going to smuggle it onboard I would say so. I would not lie. The vast majority of Autistic people, myself included, consider lying, not only one of the most heinous actions and one that is generally illogical, but one that causes many of us extreme physical pain as well. [as it should]

You also said no  one was being as hateful as I think. There are very few things more monstrous  to an Autistic than implying a good person is a liar[therefore a terrible person] 

You previously told everyone that you considered smuggling it on board. You also said multiple times that it is the only thing that helps him. You went on to say that you willingly break the law by allowing him to smoke it in the car because he can't go anywhere without it. I never once claimed that you said you were going to take it on the cruise. I said all of these statement posted by you point to a good possibility that you might take it on board. So please don't put words in my mouth. Not once have I called you a liar. Everything I said was backed by your own comments. You make the false claim that I've called you a liar and tell me how horrible that is to a person such as yourself, then you have the nerve to call me a psychopath. You speak of the pain of being called a liar, which I didn't even do, then call me a psychopath. Practice what you preach.

I was in no way attacking your son because of his condition, but that's how you took it. This thread was all about smoking on the balcony and whether or not people would report it. Everything I've said to you was based on that discussion, backed only by the information you have posted.

I posted several pages back my opinion on this stuff, I have seen and dealt with all the folks growing it and how it was the greatest for what ever ails you. I do believe that there may be some truth as many medications derive from plants. They derive from many sources also. I absolutely see how one could pull out the stops to help a family member, But...… That does not give one the right to infringe upon my airspace, especially while on a vacation on a ship with limited area. I would absolutely seek alternatives to smoking for the delivery of whatever chemical is helping the child. It does not give one carte blanche to disregard rules established by the owner of the vacation property. As a side note, the locals around here are not that enthused with recent laws as the big boys are coming in and the price is tanking, but I digress.

Actually, my son, if he was allowed, but is not, would be "Waxing", rather than smoking, but smoking would be what was offerred. 

Okay, the physiological difference between an Autistic and a psychopath. For many, many decades, it has been practice that convicted serial killers have had their brain autopsied to see if there is a difference between theirs and a "normal" brain. Google it. They have a significantly smaller amygdala than the norm. One commonality in many Autistic people [not all] is a significantly larger amygdala. 

Most Autistic people have not had any type of brain , but my son and I both have, L.J. because of his seizures, and me because my onologist was concerned that  breast cancer ad metastisized to my brain, and we both, along with many other Autistics, have big, juicy, sexy amygdalas, versus the puny, withered amygdala f the psychopath. 

Big Amygdala equals extreme anxiety, feeling guilty for things you have not done, finding lying physically painful, extreme sensitivity to other people [I believe that is why so many rich Autistics are  such HUGE philanthropists] Small amygdala equals no feelings of remorse, actually feeling joy at others suffering. 

Heres the fun part. Both of these neurologies can be hereditary. And they tend to run in the same families. Now, some Autistics have very loving families. There is though a disproportionate ammount of psychopaths in the same families as Autistic. So, there are a hugweammount of Autistic people who grew up with parents or siblings who were psychopaths. So many of these kids are taunted, abused, and raped over and over and over again. And no one believes them,and calls them a liar, because who is going to believe the spazzy, retarded little kid? 

My proof? This might not satisfy those  who like to cause pain [not "thinly veiled" at all] but, if an Autistic person were to single handley create, coordinate and do all the work to manifest the FIRST  successful"By Autistic, For Autistic " nearly a week long retreat that WAS AFFORDABLE BY EVERYONE in the world[ Autscape is in GB. costs money. Autreat, no longer in existence cost a ridiculous ammount of money] that took thousands of hours a year [every other year] of crazy hard work, and took not a penny for it, that person would have to have a BIG reason. Yeah, and the reason I created AutHaven [if you google Desiree Kamika, Madison House, AutHaven, you can read a nice little article about it. I'm the one in the picture with tongue sticking out]is because of my love for other Autistic people. But my bigger reason is because of my son. My 25 year old baby boy, who, when he asks, "Mom, I hurt so bad. Why should I go on?" I say, "for this. for AutHaven, the only by and for Autistic people retreat that is AFFORDABLE BY ALL in the world. For AutHaven, now in the infant stages of growing beyond being a place where we can "all be okay for 5 days a year" into a place where Autistics can Live and thrive, and, my son will never have to be alone. 

This is my proof. You want specifics, I can provide them.

just wanted to mention, if you look up the story that explains AutHaven, my son, LJ, is the one being "strangled", my husband, Bobby, is sitting on the couch on the left wearing a "tropical" shirt. And I am sitting on the sofa next to Bobby with the strangest face, I don't really look like that. I hope you all believe me now, because it hurt so bad that you didn't.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You have probably been told that there is only anecdotal evidence that pot would help your son's condition, no real research evidence.

This is just not true, there has been plenty of clinical research. My friend who formerly had epileptic seizures almost every 6 months and they were grand mal and sometimes life threatening. He has been on liquid cannabis for 5 years seizure free. Look up Charlotte's Web, great story about a seizure prone young girl.

So many people moved to Colorado just so that they could obtain "Charlottes Web" for their children undergoing horrific, life threatening seizures. Indica strains in general, but "Charlottes Web" specifically, has been a true miracle for so many people with relentless seizures. Plus Charlottes' Web contains LESS than .3% thc, which is so important for treatment of seizures.

I also have a good friend who was "sent home to die" from advanced lung cancer. He started ingesting large quantities of CBD oil [ in case you don't know, that does not get you high] That was over 10 years ago, and he is doing fantastic.No, that will not cure everyones' incurable cancers, but when I was undergoing treatment for breast cancer, because of my friend, I took cbd oil and my side effects seemed to be much less severe than others in my breast cancer support group. 

Edited by vicky3vicky
charlottes web

My comments were not to change a huge corporations mind, but to soften a few hard hearts. Maybe to give someone hope in what seems to be a hopeless health problem, to respond to being called a liar, and questioning why I would bring my son on a crui

As to why I would bring my son on a cruise when he is so ill, I could write a tome on that. I do speak about that, among other subjects,  when I publicly address Autistic and autism groups [not the same groups, very different] around the country. I am certain that my son would have taken his life a hundred times over if I did not allolw him to partake in things he enjoys that could easily have horrific consequences.

And yes, there have been things that have scared the hell out of me. For example, during President Obamas' run for the presidency in 2008, we went to see him speak in Denver. LJ wanted to climb a tree so that he  could see better. it was so difficult to keep myself from stopping him, because I didn't want him to get hurt[ like he is not already experiencing "the most excruciating pain humanly possible" ] Well. he seized, he fell. He broke his arm.He also met Obama. Now, 11 years later, he talks about meeting the future president, one of the best experiences of his life. And. oh yeah, he broke his arm. No big deal. And that is how he feels about cruising too.