Looks like SWA is pulling out of EWR

59 minutes ago, packedandready said:

Reading that in November SWA will no longer be flying into EWR. We generally fly SWA because...well, we're cheap :). We'll be cruising from Cape Liberty. So, is La Guardia out or do I need to look at other airlines? 

Look at other carrier options out of EWR so you have a comparison...you might be surprised. I know I would much rather fly in/out of EWR when cruising out of Cape Liberty....closeness to hotels and the port.

1 hour ago, packedandready said:

Reading that in November SWA will no longer be flying into EWR. We generally fly SWA because...well, we're cheap :). We'll be cruising from Cape Liberty. So, is La Guardia out or do I need to look at other airlines? 

Look at other airline options to see what they are.  If you decide on a hotel in NJ, you will have to price a car service from LGA to the hotel (at least $100++) to see if flying into LGA is really cost effective.  Read the many ongoing threads about the construction headaches at LGA.  It’s definitely a time trasher to fly to LGA and get yourselves to NJ.

Southwest is NOT always the cheapest.  ALWAYS price check all airlines before making flight reservations.  This idea (myth) that Southwest is cheapest is never-ending.   (just as a single example.... I am flying to Boston in a couple weeks and it was over $100 cheaper tp fly via Delta instead of everyone else.  And I checked JetBlue, American, Southwest and United)

I have to +3 the myth the SWA is the cheapest. The one thing they do is give you a "final" price, as bags are included, etc., but they are likely to NOT be the least expensive. I used to joke that if I couldn't fly an airline where I had status, I'd fly SWA where no one did, but even that's not true anymore. Price flights on other carriers, add in any baggage fees, and see who gives you the best deal.

My family has vouchers for round trip flights to Chicago from Newark on southwest after needed to cancel flights in December. We usually uber to EWR, $20. Do we have any recourse with SW since they are pulling out of Newark?

6 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m saying this as a native New Yorker. Do you really want to deal with a plane load of NYers boarding a SW plane? No thank you. 🤣

Kind of makes an uptown E-train at 5:00 sound almost calm... 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

You should check with Southwest.  This announcement just came out, they haven't answered every question about the plans yet.

I know, they aren’t technically mine. My sister bought tickets for my kids to come out after Christmas to visit cousins, unexpectedly our dad passed away right before Christmas, so they ended up flying out here instead for the funeral. They have to be used by December, but 2 are in high school, 2 are in college, all have part time jobs, I can’t figure out how to make it happen. I was hoping this was an out.

SWA pulled out (suspend) operations at EWR b/c of the Boeing 737Max grounding as those aircrafts aren't expected to resume flying until sometime in 2020 at the earliest ... and, they aren't the only domestic carriers impacted by the grounding's rippled effects.  

Online apps (name & use your own) will search & lookup routes, fares & options ... as suggested already by others above.  

For those sailing Cape Liberty, I would look at choices at EWR seriously first.  Otherwise, LGA would be an option - but, not exactly nearby from a convenience angle; and, factor in much higher ground transfer costs and TIME, depending time of day/day of week - add 2 hours extra or more, each way, on top of your "normal" EWR airport trip - due to traffic congestions, delays & LGA's ongoing reconstruction thru 2021-22.  It's typically not too horrible or bad on weekends, holidays excluded but on most weekdays - it's a horror routine fully of surprises for commuters.  Just my 2 cents !  

We’re  sailing on Anthem in November and already had our SWA flights booked and Newark area hotel booked (non-refundable). I heard this on the news last night and immediately called them and they were less than polite and not helpful.  My options were a refund or change our flights to LaGuardia.  After not getting any kind of help, I waited until this morning and called  Customer Relations at their corporate office and  they also gave me no options.   Seems like they should offer reimbursement for car service from LaGuardia but would give me nothing.  Ended up finding flights on American but more expensive and not convenient.  Our return flight doesn’t leave until 3:45p,m.  I’m really upset and will not fly Southwest in the future.  I am flying them tomorrow to Ft Lauderdale (Allure Cruise) bur will stay away from them after that.