Disembark Vancouver with police record?

dockman

Depends on how severely Canada views your offense. For example all DUI violations are considered grounds for denial unless you have submitted paperwork and $$$ to have them taken care of.

It doesn't matter how your state or the US federal government views the infraction, it is how Canada would view it if it happened in Canada.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Depends on how severely Canada views your offense. For example all DUI violations are considered grounds for denial unless you have submitted paperwork and $$$ to have them taken care of.

It doesn't matter how your state or the US federal government views the infraction, it is how Canada would view it if it happened in Canada.

Very true.  As I recall from reading a travel forum about applying for NEXUS or Global Entry Canada treats DUI convictions as a felony and can be grounds for denial.   Apparently that’s not just for those Trusted Traveler programs but for entry in general so I’m not sure it’s just for offenses that happened in Canada.   I have no personal experience having not been charged with any offense and likewise not traveled to Canada in 40+ years so I’m only going on heresay posts on a blog.   

6 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Very true.  As I recall from reading a travel forum about applying for NEXUS or Global Entry Canada treats DUI convictions as a felony and can be grounds for denial.   Apparently that’s not just for those Trusted Traveler programs but for entry in general so I’m not sure it’s just for offenses that happened in Canada.   I have no personal experience having not been charged with any offense and likewise not traveled to Canada in 40+ years so I’m only going on heresay posts on a blog.   

You are correct, it is based on your US record as well as Canada, the records are shared.  Although I also have no personal experience, I was visiting friends in Ottawa and watched a Canadian show on their border patrol that mentioned this.

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

Is there a simple/easy way to find out online it you would have a problem?

I don't remember seeing one, but a call to a Canadian Embassy or Consulate might help. BTW, the particular Border Agents have some leeway in enforcing this.

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You can try the questionnaire here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

Of course, there are all kinds of provisos associated with this thing...

Ha, don’t bother.  There is nothing there that will help you answer yor question(s).  Sorry, did not want to waste your time.

It is possible you would be removed from the ship prior to arriving in the Canadian port or possibly detained if arriving in Vancouver as the first Canadian port.  I’d be checking with a lawyer.  

• Like 1

Man that's a great question.  If you're denied entry coming from a south bound cruise to Vancouver what happens?  Would the cruise line be required to take you back to an American port?  Would you end up like Tom Hanks in the movie The Terminal?

If you have a felony conviction I would definitely call a Canadian Embassy or Consulate.

• Like 2

Most likely passengers are pre-screened by HAL before boarding as all passport information is on file.

Most likely would be denied boarding at the embarkation port.  I have seen people very angry in terminals because they were denied boarding due to similar situations.

I have heard people paged to the Front Office on round trip Seattle cruises at the short stop in Victoria.  They are told that they are not allowed to go ashore in Victoria due to Canada regulations. 

Thanks.  Not me but my travel companion had a DUI about 5 years ago.  Appears a call to canadian consulate is probably a good idea as sure don't want to be denied boarding in Seward or have big hassle disembarking in vancouver.

47 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Most likely passengers are pre-screened by HAL before boarding as all passport information is on file.

Most likely would be denied boarding at the embarkation port.  I have seen people very angry in terminals because they were denied boarding due to similar situations.

I have heard people paged to the Front Office on round trip Seattle cruises at the short stop in Victoria.  They are told that they are not allowed to go ashore in Victoria due to Canada regulations. 

We had a US couple on one of our cruises who boarded in San Diego.  We were getting off in Vancouver after a Panama cruise and they were staying on doing Alaska.  Part way through the cruise to Vancouver they were called to the front desk and advised they would not be allowed to carry on to Alaska.  I can’t remember where they had to disembark and make their own way back home (it was a few years ago) but they were stunned.  The issue they had was from 30 years ago and it came back to haunt them on this cruise.

32 minutes ago, dockman said:

Thanks.  Not me but my travel companion had a DUI about 5 years ago.  Appears a call to canadian consulate is probably a good idea as sure don't want to be denied boarding in Seward or have big hassle disembarking in vancouver.

A DUI is inadmissible.  Since it has not yet been 10 years since the offense they cannot avail themselves of deemed rehabilitation.

A consulate is not where you want to call.  The Canada Border Services Agency will have the answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

I recently had a friend tell me that the cruise line contacted her sister to cancel the cruise shortly before sailing for just such a reason. Not sure which cruise line it was but you’d want to find out sooner than later. Hopefully you insured the trip too and will be able to get your money back if you cannot go. 

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Two cents: i would definitely have your friend contact a Canadian consulate prior to his/your cruise. If he continues with his cruise, he can expect an on board visit to his cabin from CBSA officers who will be fully aware of his DUI arrest and conviction 

• Like 1

I know someone who got a DUI in the mid 80’s. He has been to Canada 3 times in the last 5 years with no problem. He recently applied for and received Global entry. I am not sure at what point they no longer consider it an issue...I am just relaying his experience. 

1 hour ago, wyobean said:

I know someone who got a DUI in the mid 80’s. He has been to Canada 3 times in the last 5 years with no problem. He recently applied for and received Global entry. I am not sure at what point they no longer consider it an issue...I am just relaying his experience. 

Global Entry is irrelevant to the situation - it's a US-only program. NEXUS though, he'd be denied if he admitted it - the rules changed last December making DUIs into a Serious offence, which means they no longer qualify for Deemed Rehabilitation. Paperwork and a hefty fee now needs to be sent in to be 'pardoned' in order for someone with a DUI to enter Canada - since OP clarified that it was a DUI and only happened ~5 years ago, his friend is 99.99% hooped for this upcoming cruise... the offence is recent enough that it should be in the shared database (very old offences sometimes never made it off paper) and the processing time to get an offence removed from your record is over a year, assuming that the request is accepted at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wyobean said:

But that is nearly 30 years ago, right?

I suspect there is a big difference between 30 years and 5 years.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

But that is nearly 30 years ago, right?

I suspect there is a big difference between 30 years and 5 years.  

True!  But think of the situation on the cruise we were on-this fellow was refused entry to Canada for something on his record from 30 years ago.  So basically it’s traveler beware if you have a record.  

1 hour ago, martincath said:

Global Entry is irrelevant to the situation - it's a US-only program. NEXUS though, he'd be denied if he admitted it - the rules changed last December making DUIs into a Serious offence, which means they no longer qualify for Deemed Rehabilitation. Paperwork and a hefty fee now needs to be sent in to be 'pardoned' in order for someone with a DUI to enter Canada - since OP clarified that it was a DUI and only happened ~5 years ago, his friend is 99.99% hooped for this upcoming cruise... the offence is recent enough that it should be in the shared database (very old offences sometimes never made it off paper) and the processing time to get an offence removed from your record is over a year, assuming that the request is accepted at all.

I only mentioned The GE because it was mentioned above. I called him and he said he was a little nervous the first time he went to Canada...about 6 years ago. Since there was no problem at that point he hasn’t worried about it since. In our discussion we both thought there was something about an old DUI going off your record after so many years....neither of us knows for sure, tho. That being said...one 5 years ago would concern me.

A ban is still in effect after 30 years for a US citizen ?   Doesn't Canada understand that young people do stupid things and when they mature, they are totally different persons ?   There should be some kind of statute of limitation on felonies like DUI and minor drug charges.  30 years ago, you could be sentenced in the US to many years of hard time for a single marijuana cigarette.   So you would have a felony charge on your record.  Now, it appears that pot is being made legal across Canada.   Would a felony drug charge based on marijuana still be a factor in admission these days ?