Duck hiding on ship???

Msmojo66

On 7/28/2019 at 5:57 AM, PTC DAWG said:

It is mainly the shape of plastic straws that contributes to damage of marine life...or at least I have read that.  

A lot of plastic can be recycled.   I have four pairs of shoes made from it.  But I read that they're too small, that they literally "fall through the cracks."

On 7/28/2019 at 3:10 AM, ATXBecky said:

Thanks for that.  That has to be one of the most stupid things I've seen.  Some cruisers must bore really easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are many cruise ship activities that I am not interested in.  That doesn't make them any less viable and I never begrudge anyone that participates and enjoys those activities.  Seems to me that hiding and searching for ducks is pretty harmless, and might be lots of fun for some folks.  There sure are a lot of curmudgeons on this forum lately.  

Hide your ducks, folks and have fun!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dznymom said:

There are many cruise ship activities that I am not interested in.  That doesn't make them any less viable and I never begrudge anyone that participates and enjoys those activities.  Seems to me that hiding and searching for ducks is pretty harmless, and might be lots of fun for some folks.  There sure are a lot of curmudgeons on this forum lately.  

Hide your ducks, folks and have fun!

Yes!! Welcome to "Cruise Curmudgeons"!!

I'll make sure your get full credit for the name!

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, xbatt8 said:

Plastic straws are banned because they end up in the ocean. The rubber ducks are either re-hidden or taken home as collectibles. 

Bob

Not true.  Cruise ducks blow overboard, children toss them overboard, and when the crew cleans, they are an added burden to recycling.  

• Like 1

Thread started July 2019 - - -

Something no worse than an adult scavenger hunt. 

Regarding ducks overboard - certainly not intentional -

Maybe carelessly located in/at wind sweep open deck area -

An excellent idea to keep young minds (and old farts too) occupied

during passages on open sea day sailings.

• Like 1

I cruised in Sept of 2021, and saw ducks. Going again next week and wifey will be bringing some to hide, Hoping some kids find the ducks and keep as a souvenir.  I will also be bringing plastic straws.

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Thread started July 2019 - - -

Something no worse than an adult scavenger hunt. 

Regarding ducks overboard - certainly not intentional -

Maybe carelessly located in/at wind sweep open deck area -

An excellent idea to keep young minds (and old farts too) occupied

during passages on open sea day sailings.

Cruise lines stopped plastic straws for paper straws for this very reason.  And now adults are actually putting rubber /plastic toys all over ships - its an environmental disaster to wildlife 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bucket List Bohemians said:

Cruise lines stopped plastic straws for paper straws for this very reason.  And now adults are actually putting rubber /plastic toys all over ships - its an environmental disaster to wildlife 

Can you please share links to verifiable stories of hidden rubber ducks on cruise ships causing environmental "disasters"? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dcoy said:

2019, before corona. I would be surprised to see many, if any now. 

There is at least 3-4 people on the cruise we have booked for August 2022 that has posted that they will be placing out/hide cute ducks around the ship. It is just for fun.....

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 6:17 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Let me get this thing right: So eh.. we ban plastic straws but we fill up cruise ships with hiding our unnecessary rubber ducks, for the fun of it? :classic_mellow: 

It is a thing, the idea being to keep or rehide. I made duck cardholders on our last cruise and used some of them to give tips. 
One of the largest duck stores around is in your city.
https://amsterdamduckstore.com/

13 minutes ago, HarpHarp said:

It is a thing, the idea being to keep or rehide.

Hmmm . . . sounds suspiciously like the very definition of recycling to me.  I think it would be very unusual for a normal kid to throw the little prize they just found overboard.  I deliberately hid mine at the eye level of kids.  The idea is that they can keep it as a souvenir of the cruise or take a picture with it, post it to one of the websites (where the person who hid it might have a bit of fun seeing who found it) and then re-hide it again.  It has also been widely reported that the cruise lines are well aware of the game and have told the cleaning crew to just leave them in place.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, Bucket List Bohemians said:

Not true.  Cruise ducks blow overboard, children toss them overboard, and when the crew cleans, they are an added burden to recycling.  

So you have absolutely NO plastics?  Never drink from a plastic bottle?  I think most kids want to keep them, and the crew loves the and keeps them in place from whatever I read about them...

I had never heard of this thing before our last cruise in March when my adult son found a tag (but alas, no duck) on the stairs.  We then looked it up on the internet and found that it's really a thing!! He now follows cruising ducks on FB and shows us the pics of all the unique ducks.  We will be on the Breakaway in August and my adult daughter plans on spreading some ducky cheer throughout the ship and hopefully we'll spot a few kids enjoying their "find" and spreading the cheer as well.  It's a harmless and fun thing to do and if it makes a kid (or an adult) smile, I'm all for it!!

• Like 2