Tables for two MDR

Hi I hope someone can advise on how best to secure a table for 2 for my parents who are on Explorer 31 August. Last year they sailed on Navigator and even though they had requested a table for 2 they were seated at a table for 8. I appreciate the tables for 2 are limited but this caused them to avoid the MDR altogether. Instead my dad had to carry my mum's food to the table in the buffet as she is not very steady on her feet and uses a stick. He then had to go back to get his own food. He also relies on a stick so this must have been quite an undertaking for them every night and I worry it will it happen again. 

Is there any way to ensure they won't face the same trials again? My mum cannot share a table due to anxiety issues. I am trying to do some research on their behalf and have tried emailing Royal's Dining team but no response.☹️ 

Is it possible they can switch to My Time dining? They will only put you at a table with others if you ask, and sometimes not even then. Pretty much guaranteed to have a table for two. 

My elderly parents are on the exact same cruise, they also always have a table for 2! 

Make sure that they requested a 2 on their booking (which always seems to work for my parents). You have done the right thing by emailing, it's probably a bit early to have heard back, think it's usually nearer the cruise I think . 

As soon as your parents board get them to check their table and if it's not right speak to the Maitre'd there and then and they can usually move you.

4 minutes ago, kernow said:

My elderly parents are on the exact same cruise, they also always have a table for 2! 

Make sure that they requested a 2 on their booking (which always seems to work for my parents). You have done the right thing by emailing, it's probably a bit early to have heard back, think it's usually nearer the cruise I think . 

As soon as your parents board get them to check their table and if it's not right speak to the Maitre'd there and then and they can usually move you.

They did request a table for when booking this time and last. Wonder if it's because they booked late. I will definitely advise them to go and see the Maitre D'  as soon as they board. I hope they get it this time, they enjoyed it so much when they cruised with us in the past.

24 minutes ago, madmedic said:

Hi I hope someone can advise on how best to secure a table for 2 for my parents who are on Explorer 31 August. Last year they sailed on Navigator and even though they had requested a table for 2 they were seated at a table for 8. I appreciate the tables for 2 are limited but this caused them to avoid the MDR altogether. Instead my dad had to carry my mum's food to the table in the buffet as she is not very steady on her feet and uses a stick. He then had to go back to get his own food. He also relies on a stick so this must have been quite an undertaking for them every night and I worry it will it happen again. 

Is there any way to ensure they won't face the same trials again? My mum cannot share a table due to anxiety issues. I am trying to do some research on their behalf and have tried emailing Royal's Dining team but no response.☹️ 

If they can't switch from TD to MTD have them go to the MDR as soon as they board the ship. There is always someone from the dining staff at the entrance of the MRD (floor may be different from ship to ship) for a few hours and request a table for two. You can also email RC at rcldining@rccl.com approximately three weeks prior to the sail date and make the request for a table for two. I would still check in once on board to make sure the email request was honored.  

Edited by davekathy

It sounds like they need a more isolated table for two.  Many of the tables for two that we have had are inches from each other.

No matter how you accomplish your goal, I would advise them of the reason you are requesting a table for two.  Then verify the location once you board.

• Like 1

AS already said:  " rcldining@rccl.com approximately three weeks prior to the sail date and make the request for a table for two. I would still check in once on board to make sure the email request was honored" ...But don't send earlier then 3 weeks, more likely get lost. Also make sure to mention Mum's situation, out of way table. Sailing Solo I usually get 4 top to myself in a corner or by the Window with same request...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

AS already said:  " rcldining@rccl.com approximately three weeks prior to the sail date and make the request for a table for two. I would still check in once on board to make sure the email request was honored" But don't send earlier then 3 weeks, more likely get lost. Also make sure to mention Mum's situation...

Thanks will definitely contact rcldining again in a weeks time, I have mentioned mum's situation and have advised them to go straight to MDR on boarding. MTD does not appear to be available now I know that's what we always do.

8 minutes ago, madmedic said:

Thanks will definitely contact rcldining again in a weeks time, I have mentioned mum's situation and have advised them to go straight to MDR on boarding. MTD does not appear to be available now I know that's what we always do.

I usually hear back in week or so, but if not email same info again. Not perfect situation but if still cant/haven't got request approved before sailing agree try again after Boarding. Good Luck...

Edited by ONECRUISER

OP - email them today, don't wait until next week. I have emailed them several times to request a table and it is usually 7 - 8 weeks out when I do it. I have never had my request turned down. We have always gotten the table size and location (i.e. next to a window) that we requested.

Edit to add, this past year they got back to me the same day to confirm my request. That was 9 weeks out.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madmedic said:

You could give them gift of the UDP. Might be a little pricey for 13 nights but very private, always a table for 2 and it includes sea day lunches. With lunches included they could avoid Windjammer.  happy cruising to them.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

OP - email them today, don't wait until next week. I have emailed them several times to request a table and it is usually 7 - 8 weeks out when I do it. I have never had my request turned down. We have always gotten the table size and location (i.e. next to a window) that we requested.

Edit to add, this past year they got back to me the same day to confirm my request. That was 9 weeks out.

Table size like yours is a Regular request, can be made at any time. For Special requests like mine and OP's reason they say 2-3 weeks before sailing is Info is sent to Ship after that. That's why Royal says do not email that address before then, info can get lost or changed. Only time have seen mine and others changed was when sent in too early. And I had a Confirm with Map like you, be time boarded was different. They change table numbers week to week, later the better for OP

Edited by ONECRUISER

I've done the email request. And it didn't work for me. Although I tried this only once. But in chatting with my TA, he has put this in my preferences. My cruise in nov, I'm on a waitlist for a two topper. All my cruises after that I'm good for a two topper. 

So if you use a TA, also check with them

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Table size like yours is a Regular request, can be made at any time. For Special requests like mine and OP's reason they say 2-3 weeks before sailing is Info is sent to Ship after that. That's why Royal says do not email that address before then, info can get lost or changed. Only time have seen mine and others changed was when sent in too early. And I had a Confirm with Map like you, be time boarded was different. They change table numbers week to week, later the better for OP

OP's request doesn't have to be "special". They want a table for two. Email and ask for it. My wife and I usually cruise with other people. However, twice we have cruised by ourselves. Both times I emailed a request for a table for two and both times I was granted that request.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, kernow said:

Hi Kernow

Just heard from my parents currently on Explorer and they did get their table for 2! The email to rccl dining worked and they are having a great time despite the rough seas crossing the Bay of Biscay.

Hope your parents are enjoying the cruise also.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2019 at 11:31 AM, madmedic said:

Do MTD.  We do My Time Dining all the time and we always have a table for 2

On 7/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, steveru621 said:

It sounds like they need a more isolated table for two.  Many of the tables for two that we have had are inches from each other.

No matter how you accomplish your goal, I would advise them of the reason you are requesting a table for two.  Then verify the location once you board.

Yes, these "banquet" style tables for 2 are what Mr. Pcur refers to as "eating with 12 of my unknown best friends", and we avoid them.  We have found our best way of getting a table we like is to email about 3 weeks in advance, because that's when the table assignments start to be finalized.  On the first day we go into the MTD or TD room and look at the tables for two.  It's empty and we just tell the staff that's what we are doing:  no one cares.  We jot down the table numbers that we like, and then at the correct time and location (ask a dining staff member) we go to the head waiter to request one of those tables.   Go about 15 minutes early.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, davekathy said:

You can also email RC at rcldining@rccl.com approximately three weeks prior to the sail date and make the request for a table for two. I would still check in once on board to make sure the email request was honored. 

We used this email, received a reply from Abel the ship had set us up with our request for dining.  And they did, perfect table.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:22 PM, ONECRUISER said:

AS already said:  " rcldining@rccl.com approximately three weeks prior to the sail date and make the request for a table for two. I would still check in once on board to make sure the email request was honored" ...But don't send earlier then 3 weeks, more likely get lost. Also make sure to mention Mum's situation, out of way table. Sailing Solo I usually get 4 top to myself in a corner or by the Window with same request...

this ^^^^ ... I've experience of requiring a little privacy away from the main bustle of the dining room for one reason or another and they've never failed me!

Explain and ask nicely is all you need to do and they'll bend over backwards to accomodate!