tour payment for St. Petersburg

ElvisB

We're taking an Alla tour, in St. Petersburg.  We've been told that payment is by credit card or rubles.  We're not comfortable giving a Russian company our credit card number.  Maybe we're being paranoid but it seems safer to pay in rubles.  I'd like to know how other people are paying for their St. Petersburg tour.

ask if they take USD   some used to take USD

some people will pay with cash in  USD GBP or Euro

you can get Rubles outside of Russia  check  for financial location in your area

Or you will need to hit an ATM there  or use your CC

We used Anastasia for the two days when we did St. Petersburg a few years ago. They wanted US bills, either new or in good shape. We paid the owner directly on the morning of the 2nd day before we started touring. 

Things may have changed since then, however, but that is how we handled payment. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Purchase a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard 'gift card' and use it to pay for the reservation.  You'll have receipts, proof of prepayment, and not have to convert or carry a lot of cash the day of the tour.

On our bus (12 pax) tips were offered in both US dollars and rubles... the guide accepted both with gracious thanks.

Not sure I understand why Alla Tours in St. Petersburg is unsafe but Amazon with your Capital One card (while being monitored by Equifax) is considered safer.

I'm thinking there is some level of unwarranted paranoia going on.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Not sure I understand why Alla Tours in St. Petersburg is unsafe but Amazon with your Capital One card (while being monitored by Equifax) is considered safer.

I'm thinking there is some level of unwarranted paranoia going on.

Understandable.

But unwarranted.

No worries :classic_smile:

JB :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

We toured with TJ Travel and had the option of US $ good condition payable on our 2nd tour day. I believe if we had used a credit card there would have been an additional fee.

Very briefly had similar thoughts regarding using Visa in Russia, but after chatting with Alla reps quickly realised they are a quality company and future business is based on positive feedback.

We took a tour with Alla the day before SPB in Tallinn and did not have to pay before or during the tour. We paid for both tours while on the bus, at the end of day 1. Our Alla tour was exceptional and we have had no issues resulting in paying by credit card. Everyone on our bus used a credit card.

23 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Purchase a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard 'gift card' and use it to pay for the reservation.  You'll have receipts, proof of prepayment, and not have to convert or carry a lot of cash the day of the tour.

On our bus (12 pax) tips were offered in both US dollars and rubles... the guide accepted both with gracious thanks.

Those are often not valid outside the US.  It's not a chance I would take.

• Like 1

We toured with Anastasia Travel and paid with our credit card through their website. It was very convenient and secure, we did not experience any problems.

If you are not too comfortable using your credit card they might accept your payment on the day of the tour. Better contact them and ask if that is possible. 

We use our credit cards in Russia and have never had a problem - no problem with Alla Tours and no problem with any purchases in Russia. You can also pay for your tour in rubles, cash but that would require converting USD to rubles and there is always an associated charge.

We frequently travel in Europe, including Russia. The only time that our credit cards have been compromised  occurred within in the USA.

• Like 1

The wisest approach is to verify with your tour provider who they need to be paid in advance.  I'd never make the assumption that they want a foreign currency (even Euros or US currency), credit card, or pot of gold. Each will be different and you'll want to be prepared.