Giant new "Find Cruises" box has appeared

I don't know if this is the right section to suggest this kind of thing. This new "Find ... Cruises" box has now appeared at the top of every page on cruise line forums. Is it possible to make it less invasive? It's huge! There's already a "Find a Cruise" link in the top toolbar that takes us to pretty much the same thing. I get that this one is now specific to each cruise line, but it's massive. Maybe just have it at the top of the homepage for a cruise line's forum (for example, just at the top of the Carnival forums homepage) instead of it appearing at the top of every page of every thread.

uc?export=view&id=1FJmsb2QHg6uODSRmGvcRy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I don't know if this is the right section to suggest this kind of thing. This new "Find ... Cruises" box has now appeared at the top of every page on cruise line forums. Is it possible to make it less invasive? It's huge! There's already a "Find a Cruise" link in the top toolbar that takes us to pretty much the same thing. I get that this one is now specific to each cruise line, but it's massive. Maybe just have it at the top of the homepage for a cruise line's forum (for example, just at the top of the Carnival forums homepage) instead of it appearing at the top of every page of every thread.

uc?export=view&id=1FJmsb2QHg6uODSRmGvcRy

Well, they gotta get those bucks, you know.  

I agree, it's annoying enough when there's half a page of pinned threads at the top of a forum, before you actually get to the threads, but this just adds more "junk".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, they gotta get those bucks, you know.  

I agree, it's annoying enough when there's half a page of pinned threads at the top of a forum, before you actually get to the threads, but this just adds more "junk".

Pictures aren't so bad now, huh. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pictures aren't so bad now, huh. 🤣🤣

Oh, I blocked those months ago.  Well, the box is still on the right for the newest photos, but there's no pictures in it.

Edited by Shmoo here

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Oh, I blocked those months ago.  Well, the box is still on the right for the newest photos, but there's no pictures in it.

You may have missed the orange feet and the UPS guys. 😇

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Yes, I saw that box. I'm sorry to say, I had to put my ad blocker to work again.

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Same here. Poofed it with my blocker. Much better.

05E3A6DE-C604-46AD-B639-E2CCC68A1B26.jpeg

OK, help me, please.

I have an adblocker.  How do I poof the big box?

Please  remove (or move) the “find a cruise” box from the forum categories.   Or just put a 1-line link to jump out of Forums, to search for a cruise. 

It’s very prominent and not expected content in this area of the board .  

Thanks...

Ah, got it. I used to be able to just right-click on an element with my ad blocker and block it, but that wasn't working. I had tried a couple other in-browser methods, but those wouldn't save. I figured out that the ad blocker changed the way to manually block things and now the big blue box went bye bye. Sorry, CC, but when people immediately start looking for a way to get rid of a page element like that, it's usually a good indicator that it's too intrusive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Except on my iPhone. I have the same ad blocker there, but it won’t let me manually block things in Safari. I don’t use it from my phone often, so I guess I’ll just live with it.

I use CC on my iPhone a lot and the box is worse there than on larger devices like my iPad or my computer. Takes up a whole page on the phone. So much for the  good mobile experience of the forum software that was touted. This new find box is probably why they won’t support the mobile apps. They should have made the box more discreet not a huge pimple. The content blocker I use does support blocking page elements on my iPhone so I don’t have to live with the blue box cancer on my iPhone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I use CC on my iPhone a lot and the box is worse there than on larger devices like my iPad or my computer. Takes up a whole page on the phone. So much for the  good mobile experience of the forum software that was touted. This new find box is probably why they won’t support the mobile apps. They should have made the box more discreet not a huge pimple. The content blocker I use does support blocking page elements on my iPhone so I don’t have to live with the blue box cancer on my iPhone. 

Yes, it takes up the entire screen on my iPhone, which is awful. 

I’ve never used an ad blocker.  Could folks please recommend some good ones?  Thanks!

I just use the adblock extension on chrome.  May not be the best, but it works for me for now.  It got rid of the blue box.  Now, if it could get rid of those boxes that pop saying 'we see you are using an ad blocker...'  EM

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, it takes up the entire screen on my iPhone, which is awful. 

I’ve never used an ad blocker.  Could folks please recommend some good ones?  Thanks!

The one I use on my iPhone and iPad is AdGuard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I just use the adblock extension on chrome.  May not be the best, but it works for me for now.  It got rid of the blue box.  Now, if it could get rid of those boxes that pop saying 'we see you are using an ad blocker...'  EM

Did not know they had those on this site. My content blocker must block them. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They were supposed to be updating the official CC app to work with this new format. I haven't seen them say anything about it for a long time, though, so not sure if that's still a thing or not. I haven't used Tapatalk for a long time, but I just tried it and the box doesn't appear on there.

I use ABP on my computer and iPhone, but their iOS version doesn't allow manual blocking. Maybe I'll try AdGuard for that. Or just use Tapatalk.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I can't get Tapatalk to log in. It just keeps repeating the log in page.

I do have a Tapatalk account, but I don't even bother logging in to Tapatalk itself. There's a search bar at the top, I search for Cruise Critic and when I go to it, I can just login directly using my CC account. If the login box pops up again after logging in, I tap somewhere outside of it and it goes away. CC's been having problems working on Tapatalk for a long time, too.

10 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Will share with the team

Thanks Jenn. I have never used a content blocker, but this new big blue “find a cruise” box is going to necessitate one. It literally takes up the entire screen on a phone, and is still huge on, and disruptive to, all other devices. I realize that members don’t pay to use CC, and CC has to generate revenue in other ways, and I certainly want CC to stay in business,  but when ads are so intrusive that they hijack the screen, I think that’s too much.  Also, with so many members disgruntled over the recurring difficulties like the Error 500 message, etc., I think it’s not good business to make CC even less user friendly. 

Thanks for considering this. 

• Like 4