Coco Cay itineraries much more expensive?

Hi all! Looking at spring break 2020 cruises and it seems prices are exceptionally higher for itineraries that include Coco Cay. I know it’s a new fantastic port but the price variances seem crazy. It appears a coco cay 7 day cruise for 3 averages over $2000 more. Just wondering if there are possibly other reasons? 

I’m not necessarily looking at coco cay, it’s just what is most prevalent during the time frame we can go. This will be our 8th spring break cruise and typically all Caribbean itineraries are fairly consistent with price. I get that coco cay is definitely in high demand, just wondered if I was missing something. 

Im looking at oasis class ships and the ones not visiting coco cay are exponentially less. It took me a bit to figure out what the difference was and that is the only conclusion I could think. 

Unless some of you more well-versed knew of a bigger reason. 

Edited by dayzees13

Royals prices are run by an algorithm that tracks bookings in real time so the more demand the higher the price and viceversa. Prices can change in hours...up then down and back up. Keep looking and be ready to buy if the price is what your looking for.

• 3 months later...

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/another-waterslide-tower-at-cococay/

A second waterslide tower is planned for Perfect Day at CocoCay, according to a research note by Wells Fargo Securities.

Currently the iconic Daredevil’s Tower lets adrenaline junkies push their limits on seven single-rider waterslides of various heights, including the 135-foot-tall Daredevil’s Peak, the tallest waterslide in North America.

No comment from Royal Caribbean

A Royal Caribbean spokesman said the company had no comment on specific expansion plans at CocoCay.

The research note followed an analyst meeting Nov. 1-4 aboard the renovated Navigator of the Seas that stopped at CocoCay.

During that meeting, Royal Caribbean management reconfirmed higher ticket per diems for itineraries touching CocoCay and on-island revenue together are tracking to a 2.5-year payback on investment, Wells Fargo analyst Tim Conder said. This is much faster than expected.

55 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Wow. 2.5 year payback is ridiculously fast. Especially for that high of a capital layout. 

I'm surprised it takes that long 😉

Have you seen the Cabana prices?  And they aren't sitting empty

• Like 1

Looking at Enchantment out of Galveston in 2020 and price is more than LOS out of Galveston but not appreciably more (with Liberty’s normal western two itineraries ). So with DDP available on Coco Cay I see it as no premium and the opportunity to see Coco Cay and to a lesser degree Nassau and Key West;  so with Liberty as our favorite ship should we book an older RCL ship with fewer specialty restaurants etc. to see Coco Cay? I know it lies in the eye of the beholder but any comments welcome.

8 hours ago, 1Texansgo said:

Looking at Enchantment out of Galveston in 2020 and price is more than LOS out of Galveston but not appreciably more (with Liberty’s normal western two itineraries ). So with DDP available on Coco Cay I see it as no premium and the opportunity to see Coco Cay and to a lesser degree Nassau and Key West;  so with Liberty as our favorite ship should we book an older RCL ship with fewer specialty restaurants etc. to see Coco Cay? I know it lies in the eye of the beholder but any comments welcome.

Why not, if Coco Cay is the objective.

9 hours ago, 1Texansgo said:

I made that exact debate about the cruise I just booked for next June.  I would love to see Coco Cay.  But after more researching of the ship, my wife and I decided that we wouldn't have as much fun on the ship.  We have 2 teenagers, so that played into it also.  We all would love Coco Cay and also have never stopped at Key West before.  (Nassau is by far our least favorite port and we would have chosen to stay on the ship.)  In the end, the ship was the deciding factor for us this time.  We may look at options to rebook while onboard that include Coco Cay.

I booked April/May 2020 when they came out, going CoCo Cay on 5nite and price is actually cheaper today. Also Cabana's cheaper compared other sailings. More people going there on bigger ships, price goes up. Selling out they go up more for last ones. As said Supply and Demand. They will charge what they can get...

21 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Wow. 2.5 year payback is ridiculously fast. Especially for that high of a capital layout. 

I wonder if that means the prices will drop and/or better "sales" in 2.5 years.

I almost typed that entire sentence with a straight face. 😋

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, 1Texansgo said:

It's the classic "ship vs itinerary" dilemma. I'm more of a big ship guy so my first thought would be book LOS and go to Schlitterbahn Waterpark  for the water slide thrills. 

However, I see on your review thread that you've done LOS several times and her itinerary doesn't really vary all that much so maybe it's time to try something new, even if its on a smaller, older ship. Who knows, maybe you won't miss the extra's on LOS.  I wouldn't miss the Flowrider myself (never use it)  but would probably miss the Royal Promenade / English Pub / Sorrentos Pizza place. Then again, the waterpark at CoCo Cay (and new, different ports) might be worth giving those up.

So, I've pretty much have been of no help....

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Local TV station just had a blurb this morning that you can get a 4-night to coco cay on Mariner for ~$200/pp on sailings this month.

The 3 night next week 11/12 was really well priced.  It's Tuesday - Friday though which is probably why.  Other than that I have found prices to be high.  Have not seen any decent 4 night prices for Nov/Dec

The 11/18 4 night starts at $298 for insides and the following week (Thanksgiving) is $478 

Edited by molly361