Lock luggage?

cstj

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

I am not sure what you are trying to say. Please write in English. 

Not very clear, meant I saw an "under cover" video of folks working at airports handling luggage and stealing from suitcases... "this picture is worth a thousand words"... seeing them in action... so I lock my luggage don't want to make it easy for them.  

Clear now....as I say lock or don't lock what floats your boat.

17 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Not very clear, meant I saw an "under cover" video of folks working at airports handling luggage and stealing from suitcases... "this picture is worth a thousand words"... seeing them in action... so I lock my luggage don't want to make it easy for them.  

Clear now....as I say lock or don't lock what floats your boat.

There is a much higher chance of luggage, locked or unlocked, being lost than of a thief stealing something from it.

Paranoia must be an active hobby for some people. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

2 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

There is a much higher chance of luggage, locked or unlocked, being lost than of a thief stealing something from it.

Paranoia must be an active hobby for some people. 

LOL, why so judgmental,  I don't see locking anything as being paranoid.  Two your point about lost luggage, I make sure I get as direct a flight as possible no code share flights, if at all possible... the more stops and/or changes of airlines carriers increases the chance of lost luggage.  

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

LOL, why so judgmental,  I don't see locking anything as being paranoid.  Two your point about lost luggage, I make sure I get as direct a flight as possible no code share flights, if at all possible... the more stops and/or changes of airlines carriers increases the chance of lost luggage.  

LOL, why so defensive. I am just pointing out that living in fear of worst case scenarios is a choice, not a necessity. With your fears about increased chances of lost luggage, worrying about your things being stolen, even watching sensationalism programming to escalate your apprehension, it certainly doesn't seem like you enjoy traveling very much.

I apparently don't worry about the same things you do. Almost all your posts are about what could go wrong. I prefer to enjoy all the good things I experience while traveling, not worry about all the bad things that might - emphasis on "might" - happen.  

10 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I have a ragtop convertible. I leave it unlocked, hopefully a thief would try the door before slashing the top.

This was how I did it when I had a convertible.

Did I have things stolen?  Yeap, if I was stupid enough to leave them out.  Mainly a few cassette tapes.  I would lock the trunk, with valuables in it.

But replacing a top is MUCH more expensive than replacing a few tapes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pris993 said:

I fly code shares all the time.  NO problems switching carriers, IF they are in the same alliance.

Switching alliances can be problematic with a tight connection.  But worst case, my bag comes on the next flight.  Which hopefully, but not always were I travel, is the next day.

Longest I had a bag not show up was a week, and that was a LONG time ago.  In the past 15 years, no more than 1 - 2 days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

LOL, why so defensive. I am just pointing out that living in fear of worst case scenarios is a choice, not a necessity. With your fears about increased chances of lost luggage, worrying about your things being stolen, even watching sensationalism programming to escalate your apprehension, it certainly doesn't seem like you enjoy traveling very much.

I apparently don't worry about the same things you do. Almost all your posts are about what could go wrong. I prefer to enjoy all the good things I experience while traveling, not worry about all the bad things that might - emphasis on "might" - happen.  

you are clueless, I enjoy travel because I don't worry about such things, I have planned ahead and am totally free as bird.  Enjoy yourself... I hope opportunity does not know and rip off.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

This was how I did it when I had a convertible.

Did I have things stolen?  Yeap, if I was stupid enough to leave them out.  Mainly a few cassette tapes.  I would lock the trunk, with valuables in it.

But replacing a top is MUCH more expensive than replacing a few tapes.

have you ever seen the lost luggage area in Rome?  I have... glad you have had such good luck... 

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

you are clueless, I enjoy travel because I don't worry about such things, I have planned ahead and am totally free as bird.  Enjoy yourself... I hope opportunity does not know and rip off.

Sorry, but after traveling for over 50 years to over 45 countries on every continent but Antarctica, for both business and vacations, I would hardly consider myself "clueless". 

So far the worst luggage disaster I have experienced over hundreds of days travelling has been a broken wheel (which was a real pain since I had to drag that #)?&!* suitcase to my hotel in Venice and back to the train station. Like dragging a rock. 😁 

• Like 2

After watching the videos of “lock vs. ballpoint pen”,  why are we even having a discussion about whether to use a lock or not to prevent theft?! Seems like a moot point now. Have to say, the videos blew my mind, as I had never thought about this or heard about it before. Will never make fun of my elderly relatives again when they head off to India with their suitcases wrapped and tied up with a few metres of thick twine or cord (done for the train/bus journeys when they get to India).

Will continue to do what I’ve always done...pack anything of value or that I would dearly miss in my small carry-on. 

Good for you, sorry about the broken wheel, that is pain, has happened to me too... not fun.  Like you I have avoided problems with my approach being proactive, have traveled far and wide for 40 years.  

It is obvious we see things differently... but both enjoy traveling.  

As for the comments that locks won’t stop someone who wants to steal your whole bag:  stealing whole bags is horrible inefficient unless you have a friend who owns a secondhand clothing store in desperate need of inventory.

Whole bags aren’t stolen as often as items are from bags because it is a lot easier for a porter to slip something small and expensive in his pocket than to take home an entire suitcase.

The whole bags that are mostly likely to be stolen are very expensive high end designer luggage...because decent chance what is inside is also high end and expensive and hard sided luggage that have strong locks (as in wire cutters won’t work need bolt cutters) also because very good chance the contents have value.

If a thief opens your bag, they are looking for small expensive items.  Best way to protect yourself from this type of thief is not a lock which can easily be defeated, but by having anything of value on your person.

Use inexpensive luggage, don’t pack anything worth stealing. 

Theives look for easy to grab bags even if it has a lock or no lock its luggage its not fort Knox soft side hardside duffle bag an army rucksack.

Most of whats inside contratary to the 100 dollor polo. (which i found your 100 dollar ralph laurens for 25 at kolhs so sue the place that sold you them for theif) they dont want. they dont want your shoes nor pants you get no money in resale value. they want electronics etc.

Ypour shirt or 500 dollar suit is zero in the world of crime. its why when they break in your house they dont grab your clothes but they will swipe jewelry tvs phones cameras etc.

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

luggage was stacked to the ceiling in an very large warehouse, if the luggage ever made to the owner it would be act of god, in  rome. lol. 

Okay, but please explain how the size of said warehouse has any bearing on the frequency of intentional theft of entire bags or in anyway impacts if a lock will change likelihood of someone stealing something from your bag.  Does having a lock on ones bag increase or decrease the likelihood of your luggage getting lost?  

What you posted had all the relevance of posting....”ten is bigger than seven, but seven is longer than ten”. Sentence isn’t wrong, just pointless. 

32 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Okay, but please explain how the size of said warehouse has any bearing on the frequency of intentional theft of entire bags or in anyway impacts if a lock will change likelihood of someone stealing something from your bag.  Does having a lock on ones bag increase or decrease the likelihood of your luggage getting lost?  

What you posted had all the relevance of posting....”ten is bigger than seven, but seven is longer than ten”. Sentence isn’t wrong, just pointless. 

my point was not related to locks, my point was related to lost luggage which is more likely to happen the more stops, changes of aircraft/carriers one has on a trip.    Some one commented that lost luggage was more common than theft, so I suggested lost luggage is more common in multiple flights and codeshare flights..... another person disagreed to take codeshare all the time, which I avoid.    Everyone has there own view. I believe locks and the most direct flight reduce problems period. 

What is there to debate, a lock cost but a few dollars, yeah a professional can defeat it in a few seconds, but hey it helps to keep the zippers closed better than zipties or other plastic gadgets.   Enough people lock them so having a lock doesn't signify it has anything more valuable than 50% of the other smart people.  And... if an pro or amateur is looking to steal,  who they going to pick, easier to open ten unlocked for valuables then 8 locked ones.

beat_dead_horse.gif

Edited by chipmaster

24 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

What is there to debate, a lock cost but a few dollars, yeah a professional can defeat it in a few seconds, but hey it helps to keep the zippers closed better than zipties or other plastic gadgets.   Enough people lock them so having a lock doesn't signify it has anything more valuable than 50% of the other smart people.  And... if an pro or amateur is looking to steal,  who they going to pick, easier to open ten unlocked for valuables then 8 locked ones.

beat_dead_horse.gif

So, you are now resorting to calling many of us stupid? 

As the videos that have been linked to clearly shows, a thief only needs a pencil or other pointed object (perhaps the pointed heads of us dummies you ridicule?) to easily open a zipper and close it up again without leaving a trace. In fact, the lock will hold the two ends of the zippers together making it easier for the thief to unzip and re-zip a suitcase. I am sure that he will appreciate your help.

And how many threads are you going to post that same 'beating a dead horse" gif to? At least spice it up a bit and post different ones to each of the threads you complain about. We would appreciate the variety. 😉

On 8/9/2019 at 6:32 PM, pris993 said:

my point was not related to locks, my point was related to lost luggage which is more likely to happen the more stops, changes of aircraft/carriers one has on a trip.    Some one commented that lost luggage was more common than theft, so I suggested lost luggage is more common in multiple flights and codeshare flights..... another person disagreed to take codeshare all the time, which I avoid.    Everyone has there own view. I believe locks and the most direct flight reduce problems period. 

Still don't get your code share issue.

If I fly to Paris on a Delta code share on AF, and transfer to another AF flight, my luggage goes from AF to AF.

If I fly on a Delta flight, my luggage goes from Delta to AF.  Based on your reasoning, the code share is BETTER.

And anyway, Delta airplanes park at AF gates and luggage is handled by the same people as AF using the same sorting and handling equipment.

Now, if I arrive on Delta and transfer to Lufthansa, then I can changing Alliances.  And that is where I can (and have) seen more screw ups.

And as the other poster pointed out, how many lost bags, has nothing to do with whether to lock or not.  Gone is gone.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, time4u2go said:

Let's face it, if somebody really wants to get into your suitcase, they will, zip tie or TSA locks.

That's my attitude.  And, knock wood, nothing has gone missing.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:59 AM, pris993 said:

have you ever seen the lost luggage area in Rome?  I have... glad you have had such good luck... 

Do you have context to the amount of lost luggage versus how much actually passes thru?  

Do you know how much of the "lost" or "unclaimed" is there for how long?

Have you seen how much food is thrown out for spoilage, does that mean all the food you buy is likely also spoiled?

Edited by chipmaster
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

I think it's ridiculous to not lock your cases with real TSA locks. Using zip ties is same as having nothing. Pros can be in your case is 10 seconds regardless of having a lock or not!!!!

At least a real lock may dissuade amatures

The TSA cut my TSA approved lock off my suitcase on the outbound trip, so I had no TSA approved lock on the way home. I had no way of dissuading amatures.

9 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

The TSA cut my TSA approved lock off my suitcase on the outbound trip, so I had no TSA approved lock on the way home. I had no way of dissuading amatures.

I would have reported that to TSA and made them replace the lock.