Disputing price change

boobear1

So I have a situation where early today I did a mock booking for our cruise and it went down $145 per cabin.  I did a screen shot so I have the proof, but my Carnival rep is saying that it was a typo error so they can't honor it.  My comment was most places honor typos such as this so they are checking further.  Thoughts?  Am I wrong to expect them to honor the price I have a printout for?

They said it was an error, so suck it up. You're not getting anything. Companies differ on how they do things. A while back Royal had an error on their drink pkg. It was for $18.00 per day per person. They corrected the error, but honored the price for the people lucky enough to get it.

I have found that prices really don’t fluctuate that much anymore and they especially don’t move on cruises when schools are out.  Demand is strong and they don’t need to discount much anymore. Good for them!!! This may be the reason they don’t feel the need to adjust for mistakes as well. We are all still booking and living our cruise vacations! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

This may be the reason they don’t feel the need to adjust for mistakes as well. 

Since Carnival first opened it's website to online booking the company has posted this disclaimer: "  CARNIVAL ADDITIONALLY DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE ACCURACY OF FARES AND PRICES (COLLECTIVELY, “FARES”) ADVERTISED ON THE CARNIVAL SITES AND SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OR OBLIGATED TO HONOR ERRONEOUS OR INACCURATE FARES. "

Hi

I do agree that they won't necessarily honor what they say is an "error".  I say this because very often while we may see a pricing "error" or what may be an actual computer "glitch", what also has been realized is that if you tried to complete the transaction, you would not be able to do so (that is when an "error" type message would show up). This would suggest that there really was no "offer" made.

At the same time, they have said that they will consider the matter. You are dealing with your Carnival PVP, and it isn't a huge amount, so they MIGHT give it to you as a sign of good will, not as something that should be expected.

have a great cruise

Could it be an issue that is the carnival agent is not trained to look hard enough for the pricing you saw? On my Carnival Legend cruise next year, i found a lower price online and it took the carnival agent i talked to about 10 minutes to find the exact pricing i saw to re-price the booking. If the pricing is part of some kind of weird resident rate/past guest promotion, sometimes it is not easy to find it on their internal system but it shows up online.

I can't stand people who find things that are clearly price mistakes, and ***** and complain about it, because that's what we do. "Carnival should make it right and give me this 14 day journeys balcony for $100pp"

With that said, $145 doesn't sound like that much of a difference. How do you even know it's a mistake at that point?

Worth calling someone else and re-asking.

I had a price drop yesterday, filled it out, and got an auto-bounce back that it wasn't a price drop (even though I had a screen shot, etc.). Called them and got a WONDERFUL woman on the call. She walked me through 20+ minutes of trying to figure it out, including talking with someone else. 

Eventually, it did go through. Turns out the base sailing was cheaper, but the fees were higher. The $80 difference I saw ended up being $53 (and it wiped out our initial $25 OBC) - but it's still an additional $25. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, boobear1 said:

So I have a situation where early today I did a mock booking for our cruise and it went down $145 per cabin.  I did a screen shot so I have the proof, but my Carnival rep is saying that it was a typo error so they can't honor it.  My comment was most places honor typos such as this so they are checking further.  Thoughts?  Am I wrong to expect them to honor the price I have a printout for?

Maybe if you actually booked the mistake, but you didn't

So many ways for them to deny a price drop, different room category, different deck, different sale booking. On Monday my booking had rooms available on my deck but forward instead of middle, 30 feet or so from my cabin, said it was a different category.

I thought I had a really good price drop earlier this week, but realized before I called that the system had added taxes, but there were no port charges listed.  (The fares were the exact same amount.)  From their disclaimer, they can add/change port charges, so I didn't even bother calling.

Am I wrong to expect them to honor the price I have a printout for?

Yes.  You're trying to take advantage of them. And, by extension since I am a customer who would absorb a small fraction of that loss, me.  Please do not do that.

10 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Yes.  You're trying to take advantage of them. And, by extension since I am a customer who would absorb a small fraction of that loss, me.  Please do not do that.

I don't consider it to be "taking advantage" of a company at all. For example, I've gone into my local grocery store and saw a sale sign on a product I want to buy. When I got to check-out, I was told the sale was over. I have no problem trying to get the sale price AS ADVERTISED because it's not the customers' fault they failed to remove the sale sign and tags. That's not taking advantage of the store, it's just asking they honor their own advertised price.

If Carnival honored one price for one passenger because of a mistake like this, they're not going to pass that loss on to you, me, or anyone. So no, you're not taken advantage of either.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

Guess yo should have booked it right then.

I would call Carnival and ask another person. May be to late at this time as it's been a few days. 

I don't understand people saying she is taking advantage of the situation. I have heard of many price drops of over $145 for the room. It does happen. 

Good Luck, 

Donna

• Like 1

From the OPs wording “for our cruise” it seems to imply they were looking for a price adjustment so telling them they should have booked then is of no help. They also did not state that they waited any time to call.

I have had stores honor their mistaken ads or shelf prices which were different than their computer. Some grocery stores will give one item for free if they are mistaken so nothing wrong with asking.

Do I think the OP should get the price they saw (and can prove it)? It’s $145 so why not for customer satisfaction. Complainers sometimes get more than that when they feel they have been inconvenienced by something the cruise line does.

• Like 1

This is why you should use a TA... I've never had a price change disputed, even if the price went up during that same 24-hour period.

If it's a type error that's entirely in their control, and they should honor it.  That's just called good business.