Disappointed in Uniworld's 2020 Solo Pricing

Roz

In the past, Uniworld waived or reduced the single supplement on "select" sailings.  They just posted their 2020 Solo Savings, and it reads like this - "We’ve reduced the Single Supplement by 50% on a select number of 2020 itineraries and departures for guests eager to see the world solo."  The select itineraries are only in the spring, which makes me wonder if they'll add sailings later in the year when they see how sales are going.  In order to get the 2020 solo pricing on the select itineraries, you have to call them or your TA, as the only prices shown are for solo suites.  

I've noticed a definite uptick in Uniworld's pricing overall, and now the solo prices aren't as attractive as they used to be in the past.  As much as I like Uniworld, in order to continue river cruising I may have to take a serious look at more economical lines such as Gate 1 or Grand Circle.  

Roz

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

As much as I like Uniworld, in order to continue river cruising I may have to take a serious look at more economical lines such as Gate 1 or Grand Circle.  

If I recall from various emails and this forum, Uniworld isn't the only line that has offered sailings without a solo supplement - there might be an option between $$$$$Uniworld and $GCT? Like, AMA or Avalon?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roz said:

In the past, Uniworld waived or reduced the single supplement on "select" sailings.  They just posted their 2020 Solo Savings, and it reads like this - "We’ve reduced the Single Supplement by 50% on a select number of 2020 itineraries and departures for guests eager to see the world solo."  The select itineraries are only in the spring, which makes me wonder if they'll add sailings later in the year when they see how sales are going.  In order to get the 2020 solo pricing on the select itineraries, you have to call them or your TA, as the only prices shown are for solo suites.  

I've noticed a definite uptick in Uniworld's pricing overall, and now the solo prices aren't as attractive as they used to be in the past.  As much as I like Uniworld, in order to continue river cruising I may have to take a serious look at more economical lines such as Gate 1 or Grand Circle.  

Roz

Roz,

I agree. We love Uniworld, but since current management has taken over, the pricing, timing of discounts, and RHC benefits have changed for the worse. In past years, there would be "next year" offers, in the spring, for RHC members of up to 30% off. None this year. Their only current promotion for 2020 is the 10% pay in full at booking, with the $100-$250 off RHC discount.  I agree, look at other lines who may have single supplement pricing.

Robin

• Like 2

I've cruised five times with Uniworld, both solo and with a friend, the last time in 2016. I've enjoyed the cruises and Uniworld very much.  But no more. 

I've found that Uniworld pricing, discounts, and now single supplements, have combined to seriously degrade its value for money.  I cruised the Douro on Uniworld back in 2012 and again on Emerald in 2018.  For interest, at the time I priced a similar Uniworld cruise to compare with Emerald,  and the Uniworld cruise came out at several thousand dollars more. The only significant difference seemed to be that Uniworld included all drinks, while Emerald offered complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner. The quality of Uniworld's excursions was a bit better than Emerald's but certainly not enough to justify such a price difference.  The food, cabin quality and service were just about identical on each. (I never book a suite and a butler on a river cruise seems to me to be utterly over the top).

So next April I will be travelling with a friend on a 21 day Emerald trip from Hanoi to Siem Reap. Emerald offered a very good price, including airfare.  It will be interesting to compare this to a Mekong cruise I took back in 2012 with Viking (essentially a Pandaw cruise). 

I'm afraid that for me at least, Uniworld has priced itself out of the market.  

• Like 1

Uniworld definitely is going for a certain “niche” market. I’m not saying I agree or disagree. I’m saying they have a clear vision for their brand and clientele and are presenting and marketing themselves as such. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your comments that reinforce what I've been observing about Uniworld.  The discount they're offering now if you pay in full at time of booking reminds me of Viking.  I'm not going to tie up that amt. of money over a year in advance.

Roz

45 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thanks to all of you for your comments that reinforce what I've been observing about Uniworld.  The discount they're offering now if you pay in full at time of booking reminds me of Viking.  I'm not going to tie up that amt. of money over a year in advance.

Roz

At least Uniworld offers you a choice!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz

Roz - Uniworld has been offering that discount since we reserved our first cruise (2015 Budapest to Amsterdam) in 2014.  I have an aversion to paying for anything a year or more in advance so we didn't take advantage of it then nor in 2016 for our Grand France (the Seine and the Rhone back to back) cruises.

• Like 1

Roz I want to add that I’ve noticed mailings and I’m sure you have too, of sailings six months out that Uniworld offers waived single supplement. Of course to help them fill the ship but you might find something that works for you. 

• Like 1