Earlier than usual sailaway from OPT Sydney

Gidday all!

Usually when we sail from the OPT in March the ship sails around 6pm.

For our trip in March 2020 I notice we sail at 4pm.

What would be the latest one needs to be on the ship by and when would the muster drill be?

Thank you.

TraceyG😀

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I recall, a few years ago, an after dark sailaway from OPT during Vivid. That was spectacular and memorable.

We did that on the P&Os Comedy Festival cruise last June, left White Bay and anchored at Athol Bouy and then left the harbour at 11.30pm.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

We sailed pretty early the day of the Martin Place Siege and another cruise about 8:30, I recall sitting looking at the opera house as we dined 

That was Celebrity's Infinity, for Rosie's birthday cruise. The ship is a bit smaller that the Solstice, so may explain the earlier departure, great times were had anyway.

The 4pm departures only started ( at least for Royal /Celebrity ) last season  although I believe there may be other ships leaving earlier, if possible, this season. I guess with the new " super fast" gangways at the OPT boarding may be quicker ha ha.😜 Or so they claim.

9 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Won't make an ounce of difference ( IMHO)

Unless they can get more staffing at the bottlenecks, and as that seems to be customs etc I don’t see that happening any time soon.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We did that on the P&Os Comedy Festival cruise last June, left White Bay and anchored at Athol Bouy and then left the harbour at 11.30pm.

The Pando Party People would be just getting a glow on @ 11.30pm.    I would be in Noddy Land.🤩

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

The 4pm departures only started ( at least for Royal /Celebrity ) last season  although I believe there may be other ships leaving earlier, if possible, this season. I guess with the new " super fast" gangways at the OPT boarding may be quicker ha ha.😜 Or so they claim.

Super Fast gangways? Will us oldies have to do the sprint along them then ?    Holy Moly, that is a worry.🤩

Thou art the expert young Graham, as you sayeth, time will tell.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Super Fast gangways? Will us oldies have to do the sprint along them then ?    Holy Moly, that is a worry.🤩

Thou art the expert young Graham, as you sayeth, time will tell.

No rush, take your time, only difference is instead of one perfectly good gangway there will be two expensive new ones with the same amount of people using them.

Catch 22 is IF they get all the pax on quicker the ships can leave earlier they will lose money on the port fees. Two hours  per ship ( eg leave at 4pm instead of 6pm) over a season   would be  a substantial  amount and those new gangways would not be cheap.

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

The 4pm departures only started ( at least for Royal /Celebrity ) last season  although I believe there may be other ships leaving earlier, if possible, this season.

Saving fuel (and port costs) is the new black.

Edited by The_Big_M