travel ID getting back on ship in Caribbean

Jasonmom

Ok, so my husband has caused me to start worrying again.  If my brother has his birth certificate and Virginia DMV issued ID, will he have any problems getting back onto ship in any port on a closed loop Caribbean cruise?  I am saying he makes it back to ship on time (I will make sure of that) and no accidents.

(I think it is not the smartest to go without a passport due to possibility of accidents that could cause problems, but that is not what I'm asking here.  Please give information on question rather than opinions on whether he should have a passport or not)

All he will need to reboard the ship is his ship card and his driver's license. There is no need to take the BC off the ship. Often even the DL is not needed, you only need your ship card. The ID is for entering the port area, and not boarding the ship.

I've been on many Caribbean cruises and have never been asked for any other ID except for my ship card and never take my passport or driving licence off the ship.  But I know a couple who were stopped at a Caribbean port when coming back on ship. They had photographs of their passports saved on their mobile phones and they were perfectly acceptable. I have mine saved too in case I ever lost my passport so will just do the same if ever I'm stopped. It worked in Dubai when I was on holiday there a while back.

Edited by Mim Lloyd

At least one island (maybe Nassau or Barbados?) requires a photo ID to enter the port area. I remember the instructions in the Daily being very explicit about this since in most cases all that people are asked to show are their ship ID cards.

He should have no issues with a license. 

1 hour ago, Jasonmom said:

Ok, so my husband has caused me to start worrying again.  If my brother has his birth certificate and Virginia DMV issued ID, will he have any problems getting back onto ship in any port on a closed loop Caribbean cruise?  I am saying he makes it back to ship on time (I will make sure of that) and no accidents.

(I think it is not the smartest to go without a passport due to possibility of accidents that could cause problems, but that is not what I'm asking here.  Please give information on question rather than opinions on whether he should have a passport or not)

You need a photo ID (driving license) and your room key. Take nothing else off the ship. 

You only need a birth certificate to get back into the United States when you leave the ship for the final time. 

His ID is not a drivers licence but a state DMV issued ID.  I don't think this changes anything, but since people were answering with responses as DL and not state issued IDs does anyone know of a difference?

3 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

His ID is not a drivers licence but a state DMV issued ID.  I don't think this changes anything, but since people were answering with responses as DL and not state issued IDs does anyone know of a difference?

Any government issued photo ID is acceptable.

19 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

You have me worried now that you've started a thread about missing the ship.  If your brother without the passport misses the ship he going to have a real issue getting on a plane to come home or flying to the next port.

Just now, Oakman58 said:

You have me worried now that you've started a thread about missing the ship.  If your brother without the passport misses the ship he going to have a real issue getting on a plane to come home or flying to the next port.

Yea, many worries.  Couldn't talk him into getting passport.  My Mom and I usually carry our DL and photocopies of our passports when getting off ship.  That way if we were robbed / lost our ID, our passports would be on the ship and could possibly be used.  With my brother having the only one ID we really aren't sure what he should do.  I'm sure I'll get different recommendations from different people, but will have to give him my recommendation as to what he should do (which he is 99% sure to follow).  If he takes his ID then there is always the chance he looses it or it is stolen.  If he leaves it on board there is always the chance he could miss the ship for some unforeseen reason.   

Just wish he would have gotten passport.  Shoot, me and Mom had to split the cost of travel insurance for him (we just couldn't deal with going if he didn't have that).  This will be 1st trip taken with my brother since we were young.  We are such different people.  It's going to be a crazy / great trip.

I would be concerned about relying on photos of passports on your phone as acceptable ID.....  if the country requires a ship ID and a government issued ID then that's what they are expecting and easily can refuse you entry to the port.

I know the OP mentioned the Carribean but to add Bermuda to the discussion, I was there in May and each and every time I returned to the ship the port agent handled my physical government issued ID and had me take of hat / sunglasses..... on the same trip, a couple only brought their ship ID and were held by the port agent until NCL security went to their room and got their passports out of the safe and brought it back for them.