Baby's first cruise

soccer5042

Hi Everyone! Looking for any and all tips and recommendations for cruising with an infant.  This will be our first cruise with our 10 month old daughter.  We are experienced cruisers, however this will be our first with a baby and any helpful tips anyone is willing to share will be most appreciated.  I just learned today that both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will provide 44 jars of organic baby food free of charge if ordered 40 days prior to sailing.  I am wondering if there are any other things that may be included that we are not aware of.  We will be taking a 7 day Bermuda Cruise on Celebrity Summit and a 9 day New England cruise on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas. We are Elite Status on Celebrity and Diamond Status on Royal Caribbean in case that helps with any perks that may be offered for a baby.  Thanks!

If there is no tub in your cabin, you can buy an inflatable one. Put it in the shower to fill & empty. Also there are cabin hacks where magnets are placed on the ceiling & a flat bed sheet can be hung. They usually suggest a shower curtain, but I would not use plastic near a baby. Your steward can give you a sheet. 

Not sure what perks you would think would be offered for a baby with your loyalty status, but there are none.  You can ask in advance for a crib to be placed in your stateroom, which will be essentially a pack and play type, and they will also provide a high chair at dinner.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We have done five cruises with our daughter and be boarding her sixth next month. She's 19 months and we did her first cruise when she was 3.5 months old. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I don't know of any perks for the baby (MSC did give us priority boarding, Royal and Celebrity didn't).

59 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

....She's 19 months and we did her first cruise when she was 3.5 months old....

Interesting as with RCI, as example, the minimum sailing age for an infant is that they must be at least 6 months old as of the date of sailing.  And if an itinerary has 3 or more consecutive sea days they must be 12 months old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

May I ask what would possess people to want to cruise with an infant ?

They definitely won’t remember the experience and the parents need to be tending to the baby constantly so that can’t be very much fun.

Maybe I just don’t get it.  Can someone explain it to me

What possess people to cruise in the first place? We have enjoyed every cruise we have done with our daughter, sure it's different and we have not been able to do everything that we used to do on cruises, but still it's better then being at home. It's not like we would be tending less at home.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Interesting as with RCI, as example, the minimum sailing age for an infant is that they must be at least 6 months old as of the date of sailing.  And if an itinerary has 3 or more consecutive sea days they must be 12 months old.

It's possible to cruise with a baby that's younger then 6 months, just takes some homework to figure out with which line that makes it possible. But since I posted the lines we have cruised on, you don't need to be a rocket science to figure it out 😉

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

They definitely won’t remember the experience and the parents need to be tending to the baby constantly so that can’t be very much fun.

We are taking our 13 month granddaughter, and her parents, on a cruise. Parents get to play and we get days to visit with our granddaughter. Staying on the ship in non-stroller friendly ports while her parents enjoy exploring port. Grandparents dream cruise. 

6 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I suppose the same thing that would "possess" people to take a baby on any type of vacation.  Maybe they want the family time.  Maybe there's no other choice.  Maybe they like their baby.  We traveled with our, then, 2 year old and 6 month old on a road trip from southern California to North Dakota and back.  Certainly not much more "tending" than if we had stayed at home during that time.

And kids start to learn from an early age, how to travel well.  

It's possible to cruise with a baby that's younger then 6 months, just takes some homework to figure out with which line that makes it possible. But since I posted the lines we have cruised on, you don't need to be a rocket science to figure it out 😉

Well that would leave MSC, as RCI (as mentioned) and Celebrity would not have allowed your 3.5 month old on board.

And regarding priority boarding as you previously mentioned, RCI would give that to the OP based on their loyalty status, but not as a result of having an infant. 

22 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Bingo! 

20180719_125039.jpg

She is a doll and I'm sure you have great memories cruising with her.  I remember on one of my Crystal cruises, a gentleman would walk around the late seating holding his daughter, about the age of yours, she would be dressed head to toe in the most increadible outfits.  You knew when she was coming, because the applause would follow her.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Because when you have children, you start traveling as a FAMILY!  That's why!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

We are taking our 13 month granddaughter, and her parents, on a cruise. Parents get to play and we get days to visit with our granddaughter. Staying on the ship in non-stroller friendly ports while her parents enjoy exploring port. Grandparents dream cruise. 

Both sets of grandparents will be joining us for the Celebrity cruise and are so excited to spend a week creating new family memories with their first grandchild. I wish you and your family a fantastic cruise !

22 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

we simply left our then 9 month old at home with the grandparents. As a breastfeeding mom who was working full time and not getting any sleep since my kid ate every hour at night all I wanted was a vacation that I could sleep on. So, we went on a cruise sans the baby. It worked out great - my parents got their dream, and I finally got my sleep. A whole week of it. :)

When DS was 2, we once again went on a cruise without him. We had a ton of fun, but I didn't need my sleep any more, and we missed DS very much. We looked at all the families with similarly aged kiddos, and from then on cruised with the kiddo.

I still don't regret leaving him home when he was under a year old. He would have been a full time job for me on my vacation - we've had land vacations with him to teach me that.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Not sure what perks you would think would be offered for a baby with your loyalty status, but there are none.  You can ask in advance for a crib to be placed in your stateroom, which will be essentially a pack and play type, and they will also provide a high chair at dinner.

I like your Avatar - GO BIRDS!!!!

On 8/10/2019 at 12:52 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Well that would leave MSC, as RCI (as mentioned) and Celebrity would not have allowed your 3.5 month old on board.

I'm totally guessing on this one but wondering if it has to do with the fact that little babies can't be fully vaccinated.  ???

29 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm totally guessing on this one but wondering if it has to do with the fact that little babies can't be fully vaccinated.  ???

Could be party that.  Also, onboard medical facilities aren't generally set up for infant emergencies.  

32 minutes ago, clo said:

Not sure, but I do know it has to do with regulations imposed by the cruise line's insurers.  I would think - just as with pregnancy restrictions with cruising - the primary concern centers around the ability to handle medical emergencies that may arise and administering medical care with that young of an infant.

Edited to add: My apologies Shmoo here, was finishing typing as you posted.