How do you take the tedium out of packing?

SempreMare

for me, packing clothes is really easy.

it's all the bathroom items , medical stuff, cameras and electronics that take a long time to sort out.

and we have to be extra careful since we only bring a carry on and backpack each.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

Are you physically small? Thin? Short? All three?  I'm tall and fat ... meaning my clothing is more bulky and, hence, takes up more space in a suitcase. Depending upon the cruise, I can usually manage with a single 26" rolling upright (that will have to be checked). I also bring a carry-on for items I don't want handled by luggage crew. To do this, however, I have to wear my jacket and black dress shoes on the plane. I prefer cruises longer than 7 days and I pack for 5 days and use the ship's laundry.  If the cruise includes cold environments (i.e. Antarctica) and I have to pack a cold-weather coat, I have to re-think.  I don't take anything that I would wear only once or anything just because I can't decide what I'll wear.  I usually plot things out by day and night and try to project each thing to be worn at least twice, if not three times.  I did a 33-day Trans-Pacific cruise, not counting the 3 days pre-cruise stay in Hong Kong, with a rolling 29" upright and a large garment bag. I could have taken less, but there was a significant variety in climate on that cruise that required both tropical and cold-weather wear.

I'm big enough to play defensive end on most college teams.  My size is XXXLT.   I have no problems with packing clothes for a seven day cruise in a 22 inch roller bag.  You just need to ditch the non-essentialls.  With modernized dress codes, there's no need for dress jackets and dress shoes.  Proper use of layering:  instead of a cold weather coat, wear a shirt, sweater, and windbreaker.  (Yes, that got me through Korean winters so it will work for you too.) Two pairs of cargo pants, two pairs of shorts, and four polos.  A couple of sweaters.  Some underwear and socks and I'm packed.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm big enough to play defensive end on most college teams.  My size is XXXLT.   I have no problems with packing clothes for a seven day cruise in a 22 inch roller bag.  You just need to ditch the non-essentialls.  With modernized dress codes, there's no need for dress jackets and dress shoes.  Proper use of layering:  instead of a cold weather coat, wear a shirt, sweater, and windbreaker.  (Yes, that got me through Korean winters so it will work for you too.) Two pairs of cargo pants, two pairs of shorts, and four polos.  A couple of sweaters.  Some underwear and socks and I'm packed.

LOL ... sounds like we could almost swap clothing.

I suppose it all depends upon what one considers "essentials."  I like dressing up ... it's part of the fun of a cruise for me.  So, going on a cruise without the kind of clothing I like to wear would not be fun for me ... not if the cruise has those kinds of venues.

As for cold weather wear ... well ... in Alaska and Northern Europe I would tend to agree.  Antarctica was another matter (my sweat froze to my skin and beard ... and, oh my, that wind was cold).

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The key to packing light is packing only what you need.  There is no need to pack three tops for one night because you can't decide which one you want to wear.  And, of course, packing three tops means packing three pairs of shoes, one for each top.

The second key is this:  no one will remember that what you've worn before.  No one will care either.

The third key is this:  there is no need to dress to impress people who you will never see again.

My wife has absolutely no problem packing for a cruise in one roller carry on and one personal item.  

I suspect we could both put all our gear into one roller carry on.  

What you're not taking into account is that some people LIKE to dress up -- not to impress others but for their own enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with doing that, if that's the way you like to roll...

I constantly struggle to pack light, because I'm interested in fashion, I like my clothes, and I enjoy dressing nicely. (Note: that doesn't mean I enjoy dressing formally, I don't pack formal clothes, it's a hassle and not required any longer -- I don't miss it.)  But I also travel solo and often combine cruises with land trips where I have to be self-sufficient and be able to manage all my stuff on local trains, buses, etc.

That's one reason why I plan my packing strategy. I don't have a "one list fits all"; it's more like a puzzle where all the pieces have to fit. I usually limit myself to one 22" to 24" suitcase and a SMALL carry-on. I want to bring some things that I will enjoy wearing, and also have to bring some things that will be real "work horses" of my wardrobe.

I also bring far, far fewer "extra" non-clothing items than many people. No travel pillow, no fan, no pop-up hamper, no over-door organizer, no door decorations, no insulated mug or any of the other dozens of things one sees recommended on Cruise Critic...:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I also bring far, far fewer "extra" non-clothing items than many people. No travel pillow, no fan, no pop-up hamper, no over-door organizer, no door decorations, no insulated mug or any of the other dozens of things one sees recommended on Cruise Critic...:classic_rolleyes:

So no coffee pot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The second key is this:  no one will remember that what you've worn before. 

Not at all correct. Especially when someone is dressed very nicely, or the opposite, they are noticed by many. And it's remembered---especially when the clothing has a rerun.

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Not at all correct. Especially when someone is dressed very nicely, or the opposite, they are noticed by many. And it's remembered---especially when the clothing has a rerun.

You'll never see those persons again so what does it matter?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

You'll never see those persons again so what does it matter?

You would be surprised how many times I have seen the same passengers again. Several of them many times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What you're not taking into account is that some people LIKE to dress up -- not to impress others but for their own enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with doing that, if that's the way you like to roll...

I constantly struggle to pack light, because I'm interested in fashion, I like my clothes, and I enjoy dressing nicely. (Note: that doesn't mean I enjoy dressing formally, I don't pack formal clothes, it's a hassle and not required any longer -- I don't miss it.)  But I also travel solo and often combine cruises with land trips where I have to be self-sufficient and be able to manage all my stuff on local trains, buses, etc.

That's one reason why I plan my packing strategy. I don't have a "one list fits all"; it's more like a puzzle where all the pieces have to fit. I usually limit myself to one 22" to 24" suitcase and a SMALL carry-on. I want to bring some things that I will enjoy wearing, and also have to bring some things that will be real "work horses" of my wardrobe.

It sounds like you have a sound packing strategy. 

My real point isn't with dressing up or not. Most overpack because they think, we'll I might need this or I might want that.  Overpackers can't decide whether to pack this outfit or that outfit so they bring both.  Do you need two separate outfits, one for each Gala night?  Doubtful.  I remember one poster who claimed his wife brought one suitcase just for shoes.  Really? So many shoes, it required a separate suitcase? And, then there's bathing suits.  Do you really need more than two, at most three, for a seven day cruise?

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

So no coffee pot?

No coffee pot. :classic_cool:

Oh, and no flameless candles, towel clips, highlighter, blow dryer and I even live dangerously and leave my duct tape at home.

However, I ALWAYS bring my corkscrew. 🍷

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You would be surprised how many times I have seen the same passengers again. Several of them many times.

I'm sure  you have.  You're a very observant person.  The point is: what does it matter?  I doubt you think less of a person when you see they've worn the same outfit more than once.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm sure  you have.  You're a very observant person.  The point is: what does it matter?  I doubt you think less of a person when you see they've worn the same outfit more than once.  

It isn't a matter of thinking more or less of them. You made a statement that no one notices or remembers what you wear. You are wrong about that. People (and I am not the only one) remember. Sometimes it's great to see an especially smashing outfit again.

Oh, and I myself wear the same thing many times over the course of a cruise. I can't go away for up to 39 days on one suitcase without wearing the same thing several times---I don't own that many outfits!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, SempreMare said:

So how do you take the tedium out of packing? 

The week or two heading up to the trip, we have a staging area in our dining room where we put "don't forget to take....." items.  Also have a packing list with basic packing needs on my computer that I just print out before hand. 

Since we pretty much pack the same for all trips (9 days of underwear, 7 days of mix and match outfits), we pull out the suitcases a day or two ahead of time, and pack.  Takes about half an hour.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

No coffee pot. :classic_cool:

Oh, and no flameless candles, towel clips, highlighter, blow dryer and I even live dangerously and leave my duct tape at home.

However, I ALWAYS bring my corkscrew. 🍷

How dare you travel without duct tape!!!!!! 😉    My handy Swiss Army knife (when I check my carry on) has my corkscrew, my scissors, my screwdriver...  It's been my travel companion since I bought it in 1973.   If I don't check the carry on, I'll hit up the first store that will sell corkscrews and buy those cheap ones.  I used to have an "Ah So" - the one with prongs, not the screw, and it was good through TSA.  Lost it...

I'm a last second panic packer.  Always have been, probably always will be.  I'm a carry on person, too, unless I feel generous and take my Osprey Sojourn rolling backpack (it's not airline carry on compliant, but I can still lift it into the overhead of a train and fit in the trunk of my old Audi TT). I have a small pantry-like closet in my bedroom where I keep all the travel-related hard goods - cubes, adapters, little packable bags, toobs, clock, lights, travel books...  I'll grab what I need based on the trip I'm taking.  I think about clothes a lot, but don't do anything solid until the day before.  I don't have travel-specific clothes, so I just stare at what I have and think what I want to wear on the trip.  Then, I start putting the stuff into the appropriate folder or cubes.  When I'm done with what I need to take, I look at how much room I have left and maybe add another shirt or something.  The zipper on the bag is usually zipped up about 10 minutes before I MUST LEAVE the house to make it to my flight.

Oh, I ALWAYS travel with a bandana - a truly multi-purpose tool.  Hat, sling, bandage, lunch "tablecloth"or napkin, tote bag, fashion accessory, washcloth, weapon, (when filled with rocks or used to strangle - joking).  I have an entire bathroom drawer of bandanas - I'll choose which one I want based on what "color" I feel like.  

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

LOL ... as in me!!!!!

We've got about 145 days together on HAL ships. 😄

Heck, you're my table entertainment!  Cruising without you is dullsville!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

LOL ... as in me!!!!!

We've got about 145 days together on HAL ships. 😄

Heck, you're my table entertainment!  Cruising without you is dullsville!

All true, my friend. But I was referring to people I don't even know, or run into again on cruises. I wasn't referring to cruise buddies, like you! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

All true, my friend. But I was referring to people I don't even know, or run into again on cruises. I wasn't referring to cruise buddies, like you! :classic_biggrin:

Ah!  True.

But what you've worn has long been memorable to me.  ("You'll recognize me ... I'm short, round, and wearing a muumuu.")

But, yes ... you're talking about people like the "hat lady" (with her "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles onions on a sesame seed bun hat.").  Gotcha!

My guess is that if most people got a call (and were completely available) and were told you have air, hotels, deluxe cruise, etc. gratis, all expenses paid.   A car will be in front of your door in 60 minutes from now.  The car will wait for 5 minutes.   If you get to the car in time this free vacation is yours.  If not, so  sorry.

My guess is that everyone would figure out a way to get packed and into the back seat of that car!.  And remember to turn off the stove, adjust the temp, and turn off the water if necessary!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iancal said:

My guess is that everyone would figure out a way to get packed and into the back seat of that car!. 

Everyone? Nope. Not gonna happen in this lifetime. Some people? Maybe. Most people? Less likely.

24 minutes ago, iancal said:

My guess is that if most people got a call (and were completely available) and were told you have air, hotels, deluxe cruise, etc. gratis, all expenses paid.   A car will be in front of your door in 60 minutes from now.  The car will wait for 5 minutes.   If you get to the car in time this free vacation is yours.  If not, so  sorry.

My guess is that everyone would figure out a way to get packed and into the back seat of that car!.  And remember to turn off the stove, adjust the temp, and turn off the water if necessary!

🙌🙌 Me! Me!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, iancal said:

As long as the car was an SUV and would take our dogs to their home away from home & as long as there was availability, we’d be ready to go.

No matter what the deal was, we couldn’t go if our dogs didn’t have the care they are used to ❤️ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We could do that in 15 minutes

• Like 2