My embarkation bag to carry on the ship must include...

SempreMare

6 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Really? 

@esimon,

If you were going on an Alaskan cruise, which of the following would you NOT carry on or have in our suitcase? 

Mandatory to have

1) Passport

2) Photocopies of passport

3) Boarding Pass printed from the HAL website

4) Luggage tags from my suitcase on the luggage 

5) Meds

6) Allergy printout if needed

7) Credit card I used to make the reservation 

Will have 

• Cleaning bleach wipes 
  • i need this < A bunch of thin, easy-on,  food prep gloves  (my skin doesn't like > 5 min in bleach > 

Might also have in another carry on

• Change of clothes
  • Jacket
  • Maybe Drinks bought at port

What I wouldn't have in another carry on:

• Jacket
  • Water
  • 1 bottle wine
  • Non-alcoholic beer 
  • Coke Zero

Carry the jacket.  I assume you really aren't taking those liquids on a flight, but buying once you get to port.  You really don't need your own water - the water on the ship is perfectly fine to drink.  Take refillable water bottles instead, much less bulk and far better than those single-use bottles that become garbage.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL, I was thinking the same.

LOL @kazu, from what you listed, do you think you are carrying more or less than me in your carry on? 

Mandatory to have

1) Passport

5) Meds

Will have 

• Cleaning bleach wipes 
  • i need this < A bunch of thin, easy-on,  food prep gloves  (my skin doesn't like > 5 min in bleach > 

• Change of clothes
  • Jacket

3 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I'm under the impression from other posts that I will need passport photocopies to embark

NO.  I've never heard that you need passport photocopies to embark.  They don't do much for you anyway.  It may be for some specialized small cruise where the ship wants to keep copies for possible inspection, but I'm just speculating.

Right?    I vaguely recall someone borderline ridiculing a newbie who didn't know that s/he needed passport photocopies to board the ship.   And if you don't have them you have to stand in line for 15 min to make them before you boarded. 

Or is that only for certain types of cruises? 

Me too.    Diversify the risk.

In hotels with clorox wipes and gloves in a storage ZipLoc in my carry on, I can have the room cleaned usually before my luggage arrives.  Haven't had a cold in eons... at least 5 years.  ::KnockOnTeak::

Do you carry a whole bottle of wipes or just a few in that Ziploc?   if it's just the Ziploc, go ahead.  hint - try the new Clorox Sentiva ones in "Pacific Breeze & Coconut" - we use them at work and our Front Desk smells fantastic!  They make us wipe down the equipment more often just so we can get that smell...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I'm under the impression from other posts that I will need passport photocopies to embark

Right?    I vaguely recall someone borderline ridiculing a newbie who didn't know that s/he needed passport photocopies to board the ship.   And if you don't have them you have to stand in line for 15 min to make them before you boarded. 

Or is that only for certain types of cruises? 

Me too.    Diversify the risk.

In hotels with clorox wipes and gloves in a storage ZipLoc in my carry on, I can have the room cleaned usually before my luggage arrives.  Haven't had a cold in eons... at least 5 years.  ::KnockOnTeak::

No, why would you need passport photocopies to embark? I have been on too many cruises to count have have never needed a photocopy.  You need your actual passport... the photocopies are for you - in case you lose your passport, it's easier to get a new one if all the info is right there, but no, you don't "need" photocopies (unless there is something I don't know and for some obscure "type of cruise" the photocopies are a thing??  Yes, I do the same in hotel rooms, cruise cabins, and on longer flights I wipe down my seat area, the table and the touch screen and seat belt.  I get some looks but who cares.  Also never get sick! :) 

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

What I wouldn't have in another carry on:

Carry the jacket. 

If I'm cold, I'll wear it. 

If I'm not, which currently I can't imagine being anything other than HOT ever again in my life given it's 104 out, it will be in the carry on.  

Why should I carry my jacket onto the ship vs either wear it or stow it in my carry on? 

I assume you really aren't taking those liquids on a flight, but buying once you get to port.  

Correct.  I really tried to make that clear in the title:

"My embarkation bag to carry on the ship must include..."

that I'm talking about what I'm carrying onto the ship.    Nothing about flights here.

You really don't need your own water - the water on the ship is perfectly fine to drink.

I've read such differing opinions on this.  I might or might not carry on water. 

But definitely 1 bottle of wine.

If I don't carry on water, and the water taste is ick, I'll not drink enough and will then get dehydrated within 48 hours.

3 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

If I'm cold, I'll wear it. 

If I'm not, which currently I can't imagine being anything other than HOT ever again in my life given it's 104 out, it will be in the carry on.  

Why should I carry my jacket onto the ship vs either wear it or stow it in my carry on? 

I was thinking of not having to have a stuffed carry on or that second carry on.  If I'm bring a jacket anywhere, I never put it in my luggage.   

Correct.  I really tried to make that clear in the title:

"My embarkation bag to carry on the ship must include..."

that I'm talking about what I'm carrying onto the ship.    Nothing about flights here.

Some of us think differently.  Our "embarkation" bag is also the one we bring onto the plane to get to the ship. 

I've read such differing opinions on this.  I might or might not carry on water. 

But definitely 1 bottle of wine.

If I don't carry on water, and the water taste is ick, I'll not drink enough and will then get dehydrated within 48 hours.

You are making port stops, right?  If you don't like the water, you can pick it up at a store on shore.  One less thing to trudge onboard that you may not need.   

We have never brought passport photocopies to board a ship nor have we been asked for one. We always have a copy under the suitcase lining, in case the real passport gets lost. This is for all types of travel out of the country, not just cruises.

We bring our actual passports  in case there is a medical emergency and we need to fly home from a foreign port.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Good point... 

This is going to be my heaviest carry on ever..

I always do that without thinking twice.  I don't want all my eggs in 1 basket - all not with me.

I do this eyes wide open knowing that I am ready to lose $200 in local currency and 1 credit card that I never use for in-person transactions.   That credit card is billed for 1 recurring subscription, so I know if the monthly amount auto-payed is different,  something is wrong.  No problems ever with the cash or CC.  I think the obvious tamper-evident part helps.

I really appreciated that cash once in 15 years when my on-person cash was lifted.  None has ever been stolen.   I've never needed that backup credit card.

We split up cash and cc between the two of us. I also have some of that in a wallet worn under my clothes. ( You would need to mug me and strip me to get it. Now that would be an interesting cruise, says this Sr citizen!)

My carry on additionally has meds, a change of clothes, basic toiletries, camera, book, pens and notebook, air, cruise and hotel docs, phone and charger.

I copy all docs to an app on my phone, including a pharmacy produced list of meds. Pending weather I may add a sweater and a packable rain jacket.

I figure worst case I can replace most everything else.

Next cruise is is in 5 weeks on the. Noordam!

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

You are making port stops, right?  If you don't like the water, you can pick it up at a store on shore.  One less thing to trudge onboard that you may not need.  

Yea, I thought about that before, but the first port stop is > 48 hours after embarkation.

27 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

LOL @kazu, from what you listed, do you think you are carrying more or less than me in your carry on? 

Mandatory to have

1) Passport

5) Meds

Will have 

• Cleaning bleach wipes 

• Change of clothes
  • Jacket

A lot less than you since you might have another carry on. 😉 

And I certainly wouldn’t pack food prep gloves in my carry on.  But then again, I don’t plan on bleaching anything when I arrive 😉.  I do have an anti germ microfibre cloth that I may take but it goes in a suitcase.  As do my clothes.

Each to their own. 😉 

Just now, SempreMare said:

Yea, I thought about that before, but the first port stop is > 48 hours after embarkation.

You can buy water onboard to get you through those 48 hours.  Or, a little lemon or lime in that water makes a difference.   There are these packets of "True Lemon" or "True Lime" (look them up on the 'net if your store doesn't have) that I travel with.  They are packets of just crystallized lemon or lime, nothing else.  I will add to my water if I want.  

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

A lot less than you since you might have another carry on. 😉 

Really?

Between both carry on's, here are things you are bringing that I am not.

passports, 
cash, 
credit cards, 
boarding pass & 
NO: hotel confirmation, 
NO: IPad,
NO: charger 
NO: gum & 
NO: Jet Lag ?

prescription meds
passport copies
my camera
NO: 2nd IPad (sometimes), 
NO: book for the plane, 
NO: itinerary book (to confirmations, etc.), 
NO*: jewelry  
NO*: watches
NO: packing list of what is in the suitcases “in case”.

* I only travel with the jewelry & watch that I wear.  Never extras.**

I think I should remove the change of clothes from my carry on, since I'm going directly from land  ( a cabin on the water ) to the ship.  Less risk than if  going directly from plane to ship.

**I am on the look out for a new pendant from Alaska. 

I love my current pendant but it makes me sad to wear it ... so I'm going to try to put it away for a while. 

But I feel nekkid without a pendant of any kind on.  Maybe  I'll see something interesting in one of the ports.

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

You can buy water onboard to get you through those 48 hours.  Or, a little lemon or lime in that water makes a difference.   There are these packets of "True Lemon" or "True Lime" (look them up on the 'net if your store doesn't have) that I travel with. 

That's a GREAT idea.  I LOVE True Lemon, True Lime, and True Orange!  So much less waste vs buying fresh and sometimes letting them go bad.

That company included me in a taste test of their future products last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Really?

Between both carry on's, here are things you are bringing that I am not.

passports, 
cash, 
credit cards, 
boarding pass & 
NO: hotel confirmation, 
NO: IPad,
NO: charger 
NO: gum & 
NO: Jet Lag ?

prescription meds
passport copies
my camera
NO: 2nd IPad (sometimes), 
NO: book for the plane, 
NO: itinerary book (to confirmations, etc.), 
NO*: jewelry  
NO*: watches
NO: packing list of what is in the suitcases “in case”.

* I only travel with the jewelry & watch that I wear.  Never extras.**

I think I should remove the change of clothes from my carry on, since I'm going directly from land  ( a cabin on the water ) to the ship.  Less risk than if  going directly from plane to ship.

**I am on the look out for a new pendant from Alaska. 

I love my current pendant but it makes me sad to wear it ... so I'm going to try to put it away for a while. 

But I feel nekkid without a pendant of any kind on.  Maybe  I'll see something interesting in one of the ports.

Hi, 

We bring Clorox wipes as well to wipe down cabin as soon as we arrive.  When we are on a cruise 21 days or less we get away with a carryon each and a personal item each,  a backpack.  When we are on longer than 21 days we do a second suitcase which is a checkin size.  I think it is really smart of you to bring a change of clothes in your carry on and of course any medications. We even go one step further, my husbands carry on has one set of clothes for me , and in mine I have one set of clothes for hubby.  You are making good decisions as to packing.  Good to be prepared.  Have a great cruise 😀

8 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Sorry, but this made me chuckle a little. I wonder how people ever survived in the thousands of years of human history before we all decided we had to "hydrate" constantly.

You're going to Alaska, right? Not the Sahara or even the Caribbean. Even if you don't drink any EXTRA water, you will consume enough in the course of what you normally eat and drink that you should not get dehydrated. I mean, unless you're planning on going on one helluva bender onboard....:classic_tongue:

And prior to the cruise, notify department for special needs of your food allergy.   If you have fixed dining your dining room steward will know and bring you the menu for the next night during current dinner.  In Lido you will be choosing your own food which will be served to you, and you can always ask ingredients.

As an example I have a shellfish allergy, so I ask for my pasta to be warmed in a clean pan with my choice of ingredients.  Prevents cross contamination.

I keep a picture of my passport on my phone.  No paper copy for me.

You need luggage tags that you have printed with your boarding documents.  Will have your cabin number on the ship luggage tags.

10 hours ago, Moriah said:

You are right to bring the photocopies of your passport. They are what will help in the event you lose your passport, although I would imagine the passport card would as well. If you are going to Europe or anyplace other than Canada, you need your actual passport and not just the card. For Alaska cruises I bring only my passport card, and leave my actual passport at home, since the only foreign country we visit is Canada.  I keep my driver's license in another wallet in case I lose the passport card so I can still fly home! 🙂  I love that you bring wipes to clean - I bring Clorox wipes and I wipe down the cabin and bathroom as soon as we arrive - thought I was the only one! 🙂  Gloves are great idea.

You are totally not the only one. I do it too!  Just one tip though.  Rather than the Clorox wipes, I switched to using accelerated hydrogen peroxide wipes.  They have a few advantages over the Clorox ones.  They kill way more stuff, including norovirus which is always a potential problem on cruise ships, and they are not perfumed (which is a benefit for those who are scent sensitive).  They are sold, depending on the manufacturer, under the name Oxivir or Virox.  You can get them at medical supply places and janitorial/industrial supply places.  

• Like 1

we put everything in our carry on and backpack. like someone else mentioned, everything is put away by muster drill. we haven't checked luggage for maybe 10 years. 

we just did 25 days in africa, a 25 day cruise and 2 weeks in europe (64 days total) with a carry on and backpack each. we do laundry (or send it out) every week.

we don't take copies of anything - we keep pics of important items on our phones and small laptop.

we don't take books or a kindle - all our reading material is on the kindle app on our phones.

works for us, but to each their own.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, but this made me chuckle a little. I wonder how people ever survived in the thousands of years of human history before we all decided we had to "hydrate" constantly.

Don't be sorry.  Your reply made me chuckle a little too: 

At an 800+ person event last November, not in the Sahara ;-), 2 people passed out on the first day and needed fluid IVs.  I asked the MD what was going on.  He said it happens all the time on early days of a conference:  Between the dehydrating effect of air travel the flurry of activity (hotel checkins) and overall disruption of habits, people just don't think about drinking water like they do when in normal routine.

Found what someone said about needing paper copies of my passport.

From the big Google Doc where I've been pasting all people's replies that gave helpful advice or tips I would not have otherwise considered: 

image.png.fde3bc09425fb6de9ce88f06f2fcbad0.png

It reads like it was from a trip report... 

I recall someone else in same or different topic replied with something to the effect of, "well of course you must bring photocopies of your passport when you embark". 

Like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

After reading both those replies I just figured this was a cruising-specific thing.

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

After reading both those replies I just figured this was a cruising-specific thing.

If you ever needed copies, the cruise line would inform you beforehand that you need them at embarkation. I tried to remember if we ever needed copies. We were on a cruise to Shanghai and the cruise line made copies for us to go ashore. They kept the passports on the ship. I think it was the same the second time we had a cruise stop in Shanghai. With so many trips, I can't always remember what we did. Since the id requirements change from time to time and from country to country, we always look up the newest regulations again.

We have passport copies, but they are to have the information on hand in case a passport gets lost. All of the passports, money, credit cards, any other valuables remain with us. We do not let them out of our hands. Once, my husband gave his carry-on with electronics to the stewards at the cruise port. That carry-on was 'lost' for hours, long after our other luggage was delivered to our cabin. After many inquiries on the ship and a lot of nervousness, it arrived before the ship left. Nothing was stolen. Never again!

Put your name, cabin number, home address, phone number on a large piece of paper inside your suitcases. The outside tags could get ripped. That's what the cruise line claimed in our case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Put your name, cabin number, home address, phone number on a large piece of paper inside your suitcases. The outside tags could get ripped. That's what the cruise line claimed in our case.

Great idea.  I'm used to doing this with boarding passes, but hadn't thought to do that for the cruise.

I'll take a screen shot of my luggage tag, magnify it, and add the extra info you suggested.

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Found what someone said about needing paper copies of my passport.

From the big Google Doc where I've been pasting all people's replies that gave helpful advice or tips I would not have otherwise considered: 

image.png.fde3bc09425fb6de9ce88f06f2fcbad0.png

It reads like it was from a trip report... 

I recall someone else in same or different topic replied with something to the effect of, "well of course you must bring photocopies of your passport when you embark". 

Like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I've been on a cruise to SE Asia, where the ship had to obtain "convenience" visas for passengers in at least one country -- we were advised in advance to bring photos to expedite that process. 

Also, I think that in St. Petersburg we may have been advised to bring a copy of our passport as well, but that was more than 10 years ago, so no idea if it's still required.

At any rate, any time such a requirement was made, it was CLEARLY communicated in pre-cruise materials. Some just don't take the time to read them....

You are right, I remember the photos. We had to take our passports and the private excursion voucher in St. Petersburg.

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

At any rate, any time such a requirement was made, it was CLEARLY communicated in pre-cruise materials. 

Absolutely.