Dubai departures

ljames7000

There are several cruises that I am interested in, unfortunately, many of them depart from Dubai.  I have heard that there could be a problem going through security, port authority, etc regarding medications, alcohol consumption, etc.  We are old and each have a ton of medicines, including sleeping pills, anti-depressants, anxiety meds, allergy pills, thyroid, arthritis pain meds, you name it. Despite this, and probably because of this, we are in pretty good shape. We have heard horror stories about people who consume alcohol on the plane or have the kinds of medicines aka unacceptable drugs in Dubai could get you into trouble, including jailed.  I don't want to fool with this, for sure.  Nothing to see in Dubai or the entire U.A.E .is worth this. Has anybody with medications had a negative experience in Dubai?  There are many tours/cruises , including departures from Dubai to Singapore, from Dubai to Rome, from Dubai to Cape Town, and others that I would love to take but hesitate to do so.  Any advice or first hand knowledge? 

Here is a thread on the Ports of Call board for Africa and the Middle East.

They mention a pdf list of drugs, but there is no link.  There is a person on that thread who lives in Dubai and you could ask your questions on that thread.  EM

This link to a page on the UAE government portal should tell you everything you need to know about what medications are allowed and under what circumstances -- and it was updated in June 2019 so should be current:

https://www.government.ae/en/information-and-services/health-and-fitness/drugs-and-controlled-medicines/controlled-medicines-

The main concern is with narcotics, but you should read, understand, and follow all of the rules carefully.

• Thanks 1

We spent 3 weeks visiting our Son & DIL and also an over-night on our previous World Cruise. Although the banned medications list is extensive, it did not include any of our medications. Also note in Dubai, you can purchase medications, including anti-biotics with out prescriptions, at very reasonable prices.

Alcohol is readily available in the ex-pat hotels, bars, clubs, etc. Son also had ready access to alcohol for consumption at home. Pork is also readily available in supermarkets, in a separate area.

Never had any issues in UAE. Nice place to visit once, but no real desire to return. 

50 minutes ago, ljames7000 said:

Thank you so much.  I read enough to confirm my concerns.  No Dubai for me. What a shame. 

What was the deal breaker for you?  (If you don't mind my asking.)

52 minutes ago, ljames7000 said:

Thank you so much.  I read enough to confirm my concerns.  No Dubai for me. What a shame. 

I think you need to do more reading, especially on the Ports of Call forum. While that list appears intimidating, it needn't be. We cruised out of the UAE last year, and I have several meds on the list. I had my doctor write a letter specifying the drugs I was taking and why each was prescribed, which I brought with me. And he gave me a copy of each prescription.  I only carried sufficient meds for the cruise, in their original containers.  Not only did I not have a problem entering the country at passport control, they didn't even ask about medications.  It was a total non issue. The port authority or security aren't going to be searching you for drugs or alcohol. In fact they sell alcohol in the duty free at the airport.

Alcohol isn't a problem on the planes coming or going. I know exactly what story you read that freaked you out about that. And it was a grossly exaggerated story that was correctly covered by other sources- the woman wasn't detained for drinking. She was detained for having an expired visa, using her cell phone in the border control area (a huge no no) and being verbally abusive to the border agents. In other words- she got herself in trouble by being stupid and mouthy.

Non Muslim visitors are legally permitted to drink alcohol,  but only in bars, which are almost all in the hotels, or in a private home of expats.

So it's not nearly as scary or restrictive as you seem to think.  

• Like 1