Early Flight help!!!

kkat10

3 minutes ago, kkat10 said:

I was only able to get a 9:05am flight home---will I make it off the ship on time and be able to make this flight at Fort Lauderdale airport?

Assuming an on time PE scheduled arrival of 6AM, probably.

Edited by Biker19

This is something I personally wouldn't do. You just never know what could happen upon debarkation. Not to mention what security lines could be like at the airport. We have had times when we have breezed through, and times when the line has been over an hour in queue. 

Things that will help:

Do self embarkation and be in line before they call for self disembarkation to begin.

If cabs are waiting, take one; faster than waiting even a few minutes for Uber/Lyft. 

Can you fly with carry on only?  If so you can check in for flight on your phone and skip the check in line at airport.

If you have to check in (check bags) at airport, do you have any airline status that allows use of priority line?

If you have TSA Precheck and/or Clear that will help get you through airport security more quickly.

It can be done but I'd be at least a little nervous about it. We did self debarkation on Adventure in March. We were through security at the airport and at our gate at 7:45. We saved a lot of time having TSA pre-check. If all things go well, you should have no problem making your flight.

I have done an 8:30 flight from Ft Lauderdale in June when we sailed on Allure.  My family did self-assist and we were in line about 6:15 or so and debarkation started about 6:30.

We were off the ship and through customs/immigration by 6:45 and my family had a car parked at the cruise terminal and we walked to the car and I was at the airport by 7:00 or so.  I have pre-check so I was through the TSA screening within a few minutes and at the gate in plenty enough time to make the flight.

I have to say I wasn't concerned because I did have a back up plan if the ship were delayed as I could have taken a later flight, or driven with family to Orlando where they were spending time at Disney and have gone home from there.

I would NEVER do this without a backup plan.  Prior to this cruise, I had a trip on Harmony from Pt Everglades in Jan and it was a 9:30 flight.  I did the self-assist and took a cab to the airport and was there by 7:00 or so and that's what made me think I could do the 8:30 flight.

I wouldn't like spending my whole cruise worrying about making that flight (no matter how hard I tried NOT to worry, I would lol).  We have been in this situation before and chose to just spend an extra day enjoying Florida before flying home.