Taking water onto the Oosterdam in Seattle

cruisintwinsmom

Has anyone checked bottle water onto the Oosterdam with the porters out of Seattle? I tried to search for this information, but couldn't find it for the Oosterdam out of Seattle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Please don't tell me to the drink the water. I really wish I could, but I know that after trying it on way too many cruises, it does not agree with me. 

23 minutes ago, cruisintwinsmom said:

Has anyone checked bottle water onto the Oosterdam with the porters out of Seattle? I tried to search for this information, but couldn't find it for the Oosterdam out of Seattle.

PS: Please don't tell me to the drink the water. I really wish I could, but I know that after trying it on way too many cruises, it does not agree with me. 

HAL prefers that your water (soda and bottle(s) of wine) be carried on the ship (with you and your carry on).

No problem to carry water on at embarkation or any of your ports 🙂 

Right. Bring as much as you can carry. The good news is once embarkation has begun, you can go immediately to your cabin. I took a case of litre bottles onto the Eurodam in Amsterdam. It had wheels...

1 hour ago, kazu said:

HAL prefers that your water (soda and bottle(s) of wine) be carried on the ship (with you and your carry on).

No problem to carry water on at embarkation or any of your ports 🙂 

Good to know that I can bring more on board! Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

Right. Bring as much as you can carry. The good news is once embarkation has begun, you can go immediately to your cabin. I took a case of litre bottles onto the Eurodam in Amsterdam. It had wheels...

I guess in Amsterdam they are used to people carrying their cases of water for a distance! I may just bring a small carryon with wheels.  Thanks!

35 minutes ago, cruisintwinsmom said:

Good to know that I can bring more on board! Thanks!

Happy to help.  You can definitely bring water on board on any port stop.  No need to lug it all on embarkation day 😉

35 minutes ago, cruisintwinsmom said:

I guess in Amsterdam they are used to people carrying their cases of water for a distance! I may just bring a small carryon with wheels.  Thanks!

It’s not restricted to Amsterdam - it’s a HAL rule, not a port rule.  No matter where you go on a HAL ship they ask that you carry it on.  

A carry on with wheels works great.  Have a great cruise 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just make sure that your case of water has its own luggage tag attached.  There will be a help desk outside the terminal entrance to help you if needed.

Thanks. Sorry I missed your message. I ended up putting it my carryon. 

This came up in another thread and I am looking for the answer -- where exactly does HAL state that water and soda should be carried on rather than handled as luggage?  I have found the information regarding wine being carried on but I do not see any specific mention of anything else. (I have looked in the KBYG and the FAQs.)  Can someone point me in the right direction?

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This came up in another thread and I am looking for the answer -- where exactly does HAL state that water and soda should be carried on rather than handled as luggage?  I have found the information regarding wine being carried on but I do not see any specific mention of anything else. (I have looked in the KBYG and the FAQs.)  Can someone point me in the right direction?

I don't know how to post a link to a specific entry, but it's on page 3 of the "Amazon delivery" thread.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you. I'm a pretty diligent researcher and I was not coming up with anything. 

I think HAL needs to make this much clearer if it is in fact their policy (as it appears from that response).

If you do not mind the soda bursting in your luggage from the handling by the porters, then try checking the water or soda.  Years ago we were with friends who packed liter bottles of Dr. Pepper and one of them burst in the suitcase and ruined all of his clothes.

The beverage department also runs specials onboard for bottled water. On our Alaska cruise in July we bought 6 liter bottles of Evian water for only $24 which was much easier than trying to bring them aboard from shore.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, cruisintwinsmom said:

Title makes it seem on first glance like the Oosterdam has sprung a leak in Seattle :classic_biggrin:

RM

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

If you do not mind the soda bursting in your luggage from the handling by the porters, then try checking the water or soda.  Years ago we were with friends who packed liter bottles of Dr. Pepper and one of them burst in the suitcase and ruined all of his clothes.

The beverage department also runs specials onboard for bottled water. On our Alaska cruise in July we bought 6 liter bottles of Evian water for only $24 which was much easier than trying to bring them aboard from shore.

I've never carried on soda or water (although I would if I was sailing on a Pepsi-product ship). I was just trying to find accurate information -- which is not very clear in any of HAL's official documents. Surely they cannot expect the 95% of the sailing public who is not aware of Cruise Critic to hunt up an answer on other social media pages?

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There's no specific "beverages must be carried onboard" statement on the HAL site.  But, IMO, the intent is clear by requiring wine to be hand carried onboard. 

Although, there is a thread currently running where someone posted an email they received from HAL stating that all beverages must be carried onboard.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

There's no specific "beverages must be carried onboard" statement on the HAL site.  But, IMO, the intent is clear by requiring wine to be hand carried onboard. 

I don't follow the logic necessarily. Wine I understand because there is a limit to how many you can carry on and beyond that you must pay. But for soda and water, there is not a limit, so no real need to 'monitor' quantities brought onboard.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Although, there is a thread currently running where someone posted an email they received from HAL stating that all beverages must be carried onboard.

Not sure where you will find the info in the KBYG booklet or on the website, but I do know this questions has been asked and answered many times on HAL's facebook page, and it was clearly stated all beverages must be carried onboard, including included water and soda.  I think there have been incidences of leakage in the past, probably affecting other people's luggage.  I also vaguely remember it being referenced on my edocs somewhere, but I no longer have the recent ones.

35 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

I also vaguely remember it being referenced on my edocs somewhere, but I no longer have the recent ones.

I couldn’t find anything in the boarding pass 11-page document but there were multiple references — again, to only alcohol — on the luggage tag:

178B03CE-A822-4B73-B950-9E09C99B3CC2.png

On 9/4/2019 at 9:29 PM, cruisintwinsmom said:

Thanks. Sorry I missed your message. I ended up putting it my carryon. 

What happens if you   drink  the ship's water?  You say it doesn' t  agree with you.  I've never heard of water not  agreeing with someone and wonder the symptoms. 

image.png.5384be9b3340ac2672cd92d88f15889b.png

Edited by sail7seas